Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Geez- it's Monday morning already. I had a terrible weekend, foodwise. We had a family funeral, people from out of town, cake, more cake and a lot of wine. So much so, that I don't remember half of what happened on Saturday night. My DH tells me I had fun. lol. Anyway- new week and back at it. I've got leftover cake at home that may just get chucked out into the back yard for the birds. Have a great week!

Jess- I hear you about the nuts. Sometimes I'm looking for something a little salty and hit the Macadamias. I usually weight out a portion but you don't get very many in a "portion".

A portion of nuts should be renamed a "pittance." rolleyes_2011.gif

It's hilarious that I have such a problem overeating nuts, since before keto, I NEVER ate them. I didn't care for them or about them. Now when I have extra calories, I go straight to those devils.

UMDavies wrote: »

I also had leftover marzipan in the freezer for making stollen, but I've had to throw it out as otherwise I know I would have eaten it all - turns out my carb/sugar addiction is not as gone as I would like to believe!

For some of us it's never gone. Sometimes we can suppress it to the point that it seems like it's left us. But in my experience, it's still there, and if we let it, it will rear its ugly head. Smart of you to get rid of it. I can trick myself sometimes by saying "It belongs to the kids" or hide whatever in a cabinet or downstairs in the basement, but part of me knows it's there, and in weak moments, if I give the addiction an in by telling it "You can have one bite..." Well, even now, for me, that ends with an epic sugar-binge in which I eat it all until it's gone, or I get physically ill. It's a Jekyll/Hyde switch that flips. And it's crazy.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It is a very slippery slope, with the sweets. It's like, just one bite, and a switch gets flipped. I do best to just try and stay away from them entirely cause I know what will happen.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always feel awful throwing food away but I know that if I had kept it I would have eaten it all, and then felt dreadful and probably carried on binging to be honest. It's crazy how much of an affect it can have! I have previously thrown a packet of cakes out, then half an hour later gone to fish them out of the bin (still in their packet so they wouldn't have touched anything) and eat them! Not proud of that - I think that was one of the moments when I realised something had to change with my diet and the way I viewed food :lol:
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the sugar gremlins got to many of us over the weekend....and I was right in the middle of that foray!!! I'm paying for it this morning with the headache and muscle aches....not to mention the hungries my brain thinks it's needs. I'm going cold turkey with eggs this morning and afternoon....hoping to just hang in there.....
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Sounds like the sugar gremlins got to many of us over the weekend....and I was right in the middle of that foray!!! I'm paying for it this morning with the headache and muscle aches....not to mention the hungries my brain thinks it's needs. I'm going cold turkey with eggs this morning and afternoon....hoping to just hang in there.....

Muscle aches? Is that what that is? I've been feeling strangely achy all over for the last few days. My hands feel puffy too. I kinda suspected carbs and sweets to be the culprit for the puffy hands but I never connected the achy feeling to it too.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Does everyone here celebrate Christmas? If so, how ready are you?
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Geez- it's Monday morning already. I had a terrible weekend, foodwise. We had a family funeral, people from out of town, cake, more cake and a lot of wine. So much so, that I don't remember half of what happened on Saturday night. My DH tells me I had fun. lol. Anyway- new week and back at it. I've got leftover cake at home that may just get chucked out into the back yard for the birds. Have a great week!

Jess- I hear you about the nuts. Sometimes I'm looking for something a little salty and hit the Macadamias. I usually weight out a portion but you don't get very many in a "portion".

A portion of nuts should be renamed a "pittance." rolleyes_2011.gif

It's hilarious that I have such a problem overeating nuts, since before keto, I NEVER ate them. I didn't care for them or about them. Now when I have extra calories, I go straight to those devils.

I also had leftover marzipan in the freezer for making stollen, but I've had to throw it out as otherwise I know I would have eaten it all - turns out my carb/sugar addiction is not as gone as I would like to believe!

For some of us it's never gone. Sometimes we can suppress it to the point that it seems like it's left us. But in my experience, it's still there, and if we let it, it will rear its ugly head. Smart of you to get rid of it. I can trick myself sometimes by saying "It belongs to the kids" or hide whatever in a cabinet or downstairs in the basement, but part of me knows it's there, and in weak moments, if I give the addiction an in by telling it "You can have one bite..." Well, even now, for me, that ends with an epic sugar-binge in which I eat it all until it's gone, or I get physically ill. It's a Jekyll/Hyde switch that flips. And it's crazy.

Oh, I hear you! I had this moment the other day, wondering if I'll ever reach a point where I'm comfortable with my food/eating. I hope so, but I came to peace with the fact that food and I may never be 'peaceful', and that's okay. It's about finding some middle ground where we can coexist. :smile:
  • JodiSW
    edited December 2015
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

Yes... Monday morning already! I spent a good chunk of yesterday evening getting ready for the week. I cooked up a bunch of salmon in garlic butter and put it into containers for lunches. I'm hoping that being prepared with set me up for success this week.

This is great. I had a busy weekend, but did make a roast on Friday, so plan on slicing up the end of the leftovers today into the freezer for lunch this week. There are lots of keto bits in my freezer!

Monday, and I'm up 3 pounds. I went over calorie wise all three days...but not this much. I kept it keto Friday, but went way over on carbs Saturday (let's talk pizza!) and a little yesterday.

I'm thinking it's mostly water (because of carbs and...HORMONES!). That said, I have to weigh in on my DietBet on Thursday so need to drop it!

What do you all do about hormonal water weight? Any tricky ideas?

AND, on the thread about throwing food away, @UMDavies, yes. I do all the time now. I hate to waste it, but really, if I eat it and don't need those calories, I'm actually wasting it in my body, which is worse than tossing it in the trash. The other thing is if I I break from my plan, which I do (see above), I will EAT IT ALL. I will eat until I'm sick. If you've heard Louis CK (comic) talk about his eating, that's me.

Doctor: "How soon into the meal do you feel full and stop eating?"
    LouisCK: "I don't stop eating when I'm full. The meal is not over when I'm full. The meal is over when I hate myself."

This is funny to me...because it's true.

• JodiSW
    Options

Eggs! Me too! :) Back to eggs for the next few days. This may be how I end up keeping things under control over the holidays.

I should get some chickens.
  • pwrfl1
    Options

Muscle aches? Is that what that is? I've been feeling strangely achy all over for the last few days. My hands feel puffy too. I kinda suspected carbs and sweets to be the culprit for the puffy hands but I never connected the achy feeling to it too.
    Yep sugary carbs = inflammation = acheness
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Weekend was okay. This mirning was my lowest ever weight since starting back on keto after a fiasco with maintenence. So I'm feeling good. For the moment i seem to br hitting my stride with the plan. Hipefully will continue with this streak right through
    Xmas.
    I can totally relate to the feverous sugar binges. Most recent right before thanksgiving was a doozy, and my inability to control what i eat is why my maintenence plan was a bust! Back to the drawing board! Meanwhile ima try and take off a few more pounds.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »

Eggs! Me too! :) Back to eggs for the next few days. This may be how I end up keeping things under control over the holidays.

I should get some chickens.

Ugh! I know that's what I should do too. Are you guys actually egg fasting right now?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    OMGness! I cannot believe how long I've been using the food diary and didn't know I could track my macros using my app. All this time, I thought I could only see it from the website and more often than not I just guesstimated and didn't track rigidly.

Now, with my new found discovery, I am committing to tracking more closely and will be aiming for no more than 20g carbs... Wish me luck!
  • JodiSW
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Weekend was okay. This mirning was my lowest ever weight since starting back on keto after a fiasco with maintenence. So I'm feeling good. For the moment i seem to br hitting my stride with the plan. Hipefully will continue with this streak right through
    Xmas.
    I can totally relate to the feverous sugar binges. Most recent right before thanksgiving was a doozy, and my inability to control what i eat is why my maintenence plan was a bust! Back to the drawing board! Meanwhile ima try and take off a few more pounds.

Here's to us all hitting our stride!

I'm with you. I go for awhile and then have a 'bout with food...then back on the horse.
  • JodiSW
    Options
    OMGness! I cannot believe how long I've been using the food diary and didn't know I could track my macros using my app. All this time, I thought I could only see it from the website and more often than not I just guesstimated and didn't track rigidly.

Now, with my new found discovery, I am committing to tracking more closely and will be aiming for no more than 20g carbs... Wish me luck!

Okay, Christie, yes! I'm back on the egg fast today. Seriously, through the holidays...maybe every Mon, Tues, Wed?? We'll see. I'm not tired of my spiced egg salad yet!

Have you seen this? It's an add on or Firefox that calculates your net carbs and % of fat, protein, and carbs for each meal. I LOVE it! Depending on your browser, you may need to install an add-in to run it. I use firefox so installed Greasemonkey.

https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

• UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Okay, Christie, yes! I'm back on the egg fast today. Seriously, through the holidays...maybe every Mon, Tues, Wed?? We'll see. I'm not tired of my spiced egg salad yet!

I realise this might be a silly question, but what do you eat on your egg fast? :lol: I'm planning to start next week - can I still have BPC for breakfast? And what calorie limit do you stick to?

I did like that Louis CK sketch as well! All too true :lol:

Also, does anyone have a good go-to keto Indian takeaway order? My housemates and I are doing our Secret Santa tonight and we're getting takeaway. I want to participate (I haven't had a takeaway since we started back in September, and the others get one at least once a week!) but don't want to go off plan. I was thinking tandoori chicken tikka, and then they do an okra dish in a 'medium thick sauce' - this sounds like it's thickened with flour though right? Otherwise they have a 'Matar Paneer' which is apparently cheese and peas in a creamy sauce, which sounds pretty keto!

• pwrfl1
    Options

I realise this might be a silly question, but what do you eat on your egg fast? :lol: I'm planning to start next week - can I still have BPC for breakfast? And what calorie limit do you stick to?

I did like that Louis CK sketch as well! All too true :lol:

Also, does anyone have a good go-to keto Indian takeaway order? My housemates and I are doing our Secret Santa tonight and we're getting takeaway. I want to participate (I haven't had a takeaway since we started back in September, and the others get one at least once a week!) but don't want to go off plan. I was thinking tandoori chicken tikka, and then they do an okra dish in a 'medium thick sauce' - this sounds like it's thickened with flour though right? Otherwise they have a 'Matar Paneer' which is apparently cheese and peas in a creamy sauce, which sounds pretty keto!

. Yes to Tandoori chicken tikka....stick to grilled items and you should be safe

• 4031isaiah
    Options

Have you seen this? It's an add on or Firefox that calculates your net carbs and % of fat, protein, and carbs for each meal. I LOVE it! Depending on your browser, you may need to install an add-in to run it. I use firefox so installed Greasemonkey.

https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

Thanks! I check MFP from my phone and now that I know I just have to click a few buttons to access macros through the app, I think I'll start there.

As for your spiced egg salad... I'm jealous of all of the wonderful egg recipes you have... is there a specific website you use?

My lunch is already packed for today. Maybe I'll do a recipe search and start later this week .
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Well keto friends, for me today's challenge is that it's my day off! That's alot of time for me to be alone with my kitchen. I may get myself out for awhile but not long. Think i better tackle a low energy project to keep busy. Still i do think it would be good to take it easy, as starting a new job does elevate stress - even if you luv it. Anyway, i hope to be strong and resist the foodie siren song!! I've been doing well for the past few days. Wish me luck or energy or willpower or something like that. And same to you...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Does everyone here celebrate Christmas? If so, how ready are you?

Tree has been up since the day after Thanksgiving. We're slowly getting everything ordered and received. I finished up a photo wall calendar for both sets of the Grandparents (and one for us) and got that ordered yesterday. Plus I ordered pics of my minions for the Christmas cards and a surprise 8x10 of my littlest Little for DH's gift. He doesn't know. Mwahaha! It is SO hard to surprise him.

Oh, I hear you! I had this moment the other day, wondering if I'll ever reach a point where I'm comfortable with my food/eating. I hope so, but I came to peace with the fact that food and I may never be 'peaceful', and that's okay. It's about finding some middle ground where we can coexist. :smile:

Yep. That's about as realistic as our hopes can be. And most of the time that "good enough" is pretty darn awesome.

Good luck! It took me forever to figure that out too before. I had no faith in the app at all so I just used it to track when I was too busy to open the laptop. Once I investigated a bit I figured it out. I'm still irritated that sometimes there's a difference between what the app count is and the site. It's a lot better than it was though.

elize7 wrote: »
    Well keto friends, for me today's challenge is that it's my day off! That's alot of time for me to be alone with my kitchen. I may get myself out for awhile but not long. Think i better tackle a low energy project to keep busy. Still i do think it would be good to take it easy, as starting a new job does elevate stress - even if you luv it. Anyway, i hope to be strong and resist the foodie siren song!! I've been doing well for the past few days. Wish me luck or energy or willpower or something like that. And same to you...

And Good Luck to you too! I'm a SAHM/homeschooling mom, so I don't have days off, but when DH does....oh my word he is so disruptive! He throws the schedule off and then randomly says "Let's go out to eat." I'm calorie cycling right now and he ALWAYS does this on lower calorie days. Weekends are rough as well as I'm not schooling the minions so I have more time to think. And sometimes it's about food. :frowning:

You can do it. Work that resistance muscle and get it all "swole." :wink:

I don't know what the deal is the past few days. My body is being goofy in the extreme! I'm up 5lb from my goal weight for no reason at all. :weary: Nothing to do but KCKO and chalk it up to being female, being ME, and alien brain-wave rays. :lol:

I was also so tired yesterday. And today I woke up tired AND achy. Thank you ever so much Chronic Fatigue for coming to visit. BAH!

Oh well. At least it's no longer Monday.