Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @4031isaiah and @UMDavies

I do love this egg fasting thing. I could go on and on about it, because it really seems to work for me and I feel really good when I'm doing it. After a day or so, I'm very low calorie and don't mind because I'm not hungry.

When I started I used this site a lot - http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ - and love her recipes. If you google "egg fast" recipes, a lot will come up but many of them don't follow the prescription. Does it matter? I don't know. Maybe it's really the macros that matter. For me, this is easy and tasty.

This is probably my favorite blog right now, forgive me if I posted it here before - http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/. Delicious, keto, goodness here!

@UMDavies
    Re: Indian food
    Wow! I hadn't had it for a long time and it was part of my blowout this weekend. I had the saag...which now I just looked up and could very well be keto-ish. Just looked at 3 recipes and no flour or grain in any...spinach, oil, and some kind of dairy. Jeesh. Saag is delicious!

@elize7
    I have an issue with unstructured time myself. I've been drinking a lot of tea and doing a lot of self talk..."Only you control you. Make good decisions."...etc, etc. LOL! Some time I'll tell you about when I visualized skulls and crossbones on top of the doughnuts at work and had this entire righteous dialog with myself, indignant that someone would offer me poison for breakfast. :smile:

@baconslave
    I'm interested to hear more about your calorie cycling. Will you tell us more about that?

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »

@baconslave
    I'm interested to hear more about your calorie cycling. Will you tell us more about that?

When I was losing the last 2lb, I did some alternate day fasting. 3 days I would do a 1,000cal fast, and 4 days I would eat at maintenance. It worked. Then when I hit goal, I shifted to a recomp (body recomposition) schedule. On the 3 days I do strength training, I eat at +15% of maintenance cals, the other days of the week, I eat -10% of maintenance cals. I still exercise those days, but it's like 30 min of moderate cardio. Enough to stretch the legs and get the heart humming and circulation going good, but not gruelling or a slog. I've done this for a week so far. It may not be high enough cals. We'll just have to see what happens after this weirdo 5lb gain of water weight makes itself scarce.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    How can I get and stay in ketosis when all I want are Cheetos? Or anything cheesie really...

They have a keto Cheetos recipe somewhere. I've never tried it. Cheetos never were my problem. Doritos, pizza, and chocolates by the bagful were though.

Now nuts are my nemesis. I'm pretty sure I ate over 700 cals of them last night. DH is always into them. They need to go in a cabinet, but he wants them on the calendar where they can taunt me.

The recipe I found was kind of like a generic dough recipe for all kinds of preparations. It was called the Hobbit's Keetos or something...

http://shecallsmehobbit.com/2015/11/hobbits-keetos-keto-cheetos-knockoffs-iron-giant-dough/

Personally, I just like microwaving extra sharp cheddar (Cabot's) on a waxed paper plate, then sprinkling it with the ranch seasoning popcorn flavoring. (You could do nacho cheese, too, or whatever). It's ten million times better than Doritos...
  • JodiSW
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    How can I get and stay in ketosis when all I want are Cheetos? Or anything cheesie really...

They have a keto Cheetos recipe somewhere. I've never tried it. Cheetos never were my problem. Doritos, pizza, and chocolates by the bagful were though.

Now nuts are my nemesis. I'm pretty sure I ate over 700 cals of them last night. DH is always into them. They need to go in a cabinet, but he wants them on the calendar where they can taunt me.

The recipe I found was kind of like a generic dough recipe for all kinds of preparations. It was called the Hobbit's Keetos or something...

http://shecallsmehobbit.com/2015/11/hobbits-keetos-keto-cheetos-knockoffs-iron-giant-dough/

Personally, I just like microwaving extra sharp cheddar (Cabot's) on a waxed paper plate, then sprinkling it with the ranch seasoning popcorn flavoring. (You could do nacho cheese, too, or whatever). It's ten million times better than Doritos...

Have you tried this recipe? Just wondering how it is.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Both sound really good but I think I need to stay away from cheese in general... It doesn't do good things for me.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I could live my day in reverse... Like, if only I could start at the end of my day and make good choices, it would make all of my efforts at the beginning of my day worth while,
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I could live my day in reverse... Like, if only I could start at the end of my day and make good choices, it would make all of my efforts at the beginning of my day worth while,
    So True !!!
  • JodiSW
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Feeling good this morning. Made my goal for the DietBet I'm in - woot! Although, to do it I kept my calories really low the last few days and focused on the egg fast. Good results on the scale but I work up very hungry this morning. Had my BPC and am my stomach is still growling. I don't usually eat breakfast, but may make an exception today...although, I'm working on telling myself that my hunger is not an emergency...
  • baconslave
    Options

I plan out every single bite I take the day before. After I eat my last meal for the day, or if I'm going to be busy I'll do it earlier, and I track my whole next day. It's there for me the next day, and I follow that plan, I just have to measure out the amounts, unless something comes up. Even then, I'll know exactly how many cals and carbs I have for that meal to fool with if I end up having to get take out. If I want room for a specific snack, I plan it first, then fill in the rest of my day.

My coffee and it's innards are tracked first (priorities :lol: ), then my main meal (supper), then I make room for the snack I want, and then use the remaining calories for lunch. I don't have to think the next day, or entertain temptation. What I am eating is predetermined, I just have to prepare and shove it enthusiastically in my bacon-intake-orface.

Just something you might want to try to see if it might help you.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Feeling good this morning. Made my goal for the DietBet I'm in - woot! Although, to do it I kept my calories really low the last few days and focused on the egg fast. Good results on the scale but I work up very hungry this morning. Had my BPC and am my stomach is still growling. I don't usually eat breakfast, but may make an exception today...although, I'm working on telling myself that my hunger is not an emergency...

Mornin'.
    Today is a vision therapy appt for my youngest daughter which means errand running all afternoon. Which means idiots making me mad with their stupid driving this time of year. :rage:

It's hard to tell hunger to take a hike. What I've found with this WOE is that it's less urgent. I've done a lot of IFing and that really helps you get a handle on dealing with hunger as you face it head on. I got lots of practice saying to myself: "Yeah yeah, you're hungry. I know. Blah blah. It can wait. You WILL get to eat in a bit. Chill. You aren't dying. It's not an emergency. Lots of yum is coming your way soon. Be patient."
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I don't know how this works. Because I've never officially gotten to the full in Keto/fat adapted state, I wouldn't trust ignoring my hunger for fear of messing up my metabolism and losing muscle instead of fat.

Right now, I'm just focusing on getting through the holidays and my New Years resolution will be to give it all I've got in order to experience all of the benefits of Keto
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

I plan out every single bite I take the day before. After I eat my last meal for the day, or if I'm going to be busy I'll do it earlier, and I track my whole next day. It's there for me the next day, and I follow that plan, I just have to measure out the amounts, unless something comes up. Even then, I'll know exactly how many cals and carbs I have for that meal to fool with if I end up having to get take out. If I want room for a specific snack, I plan it first, then fill in the rest of my day.

My coffee and it's innards are tracked first (priorities :lol: ), then my main meal (supper), then I make room for the snack I want, and then use the remaining calories for lunch. I don't have to think the next day, or entertain temptation. What I am eating is predetermined, I just have to prepare and shove it enthusiastically in my bacon-intake-orface.

That really is the best way to do it. I just have to keep fine tuning my processes to make sure it actually happens. I had my entire day planned yesterday with my lunch packed and food pre-logged into the food diary, then my day happened...

I got to work in the morning and a co-worker invited me to be co-counsel at a hearing. I raced home to suit up (in the office I can get away with jeans but not to attend a hearing). The hearing started at 1 and went until almost 4pm. My lunch was still in my car with no way to get or heat it.

Since I am not yet at a point where I have gotten and stay consistently in ketosis, skipping meals doesn't really work. By that point, I was hangry and ate the first things within my reach which included a house salad with side balsamic and Fererro Roches... Which would not have been too bad except that one FR turned into the whole pack, then another and another... Ugh!

I know I can do better and I'm not going to give up. I just have to keep working to iron out all of the kinks.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Mornin'.
    Today is a vision therapy appt for my youngest daughter which means errand running all afternoon. Which means idiots making me mad with their stupid driving this time of year. :rage:

It's hard to tell hunger to take a hike. What I've found with this WOE is that it's less urgent. I've done a lot of IFing and that really helps you get a handle on dealing with hunger as you face it head on. I got lots of practice saying to myself: "Yeah yeah, you're hungry. I know. Blah blah. It can wait. You WILL get to eat in a bit. Chill. You aren't dying. It's not an emergency. Lots of yum is coming your way soon. Be patient."

My goal is to get there too!
  • pwrfl1
    edited December 2015
    Options

. Wow, I it had not occurred to me to prelog for the next day, and how you prioritize ! Thank you for sharing this !! I plan to implement this ASAP !!!

• smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Hi, I have been a member to the group for a few months, but usually don't write, just read. I am having trouble with my diet this time around.
    I weigh and measure all of my food, but I am going to try what Baconslave does. Sometimes, most of the time a rationalize my exercise and eat more than I should.
    Thank you
  • JodiSW
    Options
    @baconslave

Great ideas! I was prelogging for awhile and it really helped. I haven't been recently so need to get on track. Thanks for the reminder!

When I was really pushing it, I logged M-F on Sunday and prepped meals accordingly...this only lasted about a month before I came to my senses that this was a bit whacko!

After reading your post I realized that I've been intermittent fasting, more through circumstance than intentionally. Recently, it's not unusual for me to only eat one meal a day (besides my BPC). I've been busy, the fat is satiating, and I try not to eat after 7pm.

This morning, I held tough! I actually rubbed some oil on my belly as I was getting dressed and talked out loud to it, squeezing my curves and pointing out how many snacks that we had stored already! The ludicrousness of the moment was enough to distract me until I got to work.

@4031isaiah
    Christine, I don't worry about slowing my metabolism. I have plenty of fat stores :blush:. Also, it's my understanding that while slowing metabolism can happen, that it takes awhile on very low calorie diets, like 800ish for weeks or even months.

You can do this! There are a lot of kinks. :smile: But since I've keto adapted, it's much easier to deal with my cravings and even though I go off plan about once a week, I haven't binged in almost three months (I have an eating disorder). It's been so worth it for me.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    I'm 24 hours into my 36 hr fast .......so far I've had a few rumbles but nothing I couldn't handle. Hoping to make it all the way !
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    @baconslave

Great ideas! I was prelogging for awhile and it really helped. I haven't been recently so need to get on track. Thanks for the reminder!

When I was really pushing it, I logged M-F on Sunday and prepped meals accordingly...this only lasted about a month before I came to my senses that this was a bit whacko!

After reading your post I realized that I've been intermittent fasting, more through circumstance than intentionally. Recently, it's not unusual for me to only eat one meal a day (besides my BPC). I've been busy, the fat is satiating, and I try not to eat after 7pm.

This morning, I held tough! I actually rubbed some oil on my belly as I was getting dressed and talked out loud to it, squeezing my curves and pointing out how many snacks that we had stored already! The ludicrousness of the moment was enough to distract me until I got to work.

@4031isaiah
    Christine, I don't worry about slowing my metabolism. I have plenty of fat stores :blush:. Also, it's my understanding that while slowing metabolism can happen, that it takes awhile on very low calorie diets, like 800ish for weeks or even months.

You can do this! There are a lot of kinks. :smile: But since I've keto adapted, it's much easier to deal with my cravings and even though I go off plan about once a week, I haven't binged in almost three months (I have an eating disorder). It's been so worth it for me.

Congrats Jodi! It sounds like you're doing great! I love coming to this thread and seeing how people are doing and what their plans are for success.

For now, my plan is to just fake it 'til I make it. I know I'll get there, I just have to get there.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    I'm 24 hours into my 36 hr fast .......so far I've had a few rumbles but nothing I couldn't handle. Hoping to make it all the way !

Ra Ra! You ca do it!
  • baconslave
    Options

Hi, I have been a member to the group for a few months, but usually don't write, just read. I am having trouble with my diet this time around.
    I weigh and measure all of my food, but I am going to try what Baconslave does. Sometimes, most of the time a rationalize my exercise and eat more than I should.
    Thank you

Glad to be of help.

Seriously, it's a relief to have it done, to not have to think about it much at all when I'm busy and hungry. It's taking advantage of the path of least resistance. Life gives us plenty of annoying and hectic things to deal with on the fly, pre-logging subtracts one. I can just go on autopilot.

It's pretty easy for me to justify and/or lie to myself otherwise. Or end up with "oops! Dammit, I just overate carbs" at the end of the day from a miscalculation. I'm protecting me from myself.

And weirdly enough it works well psychologically in that I get to look at my day and tell myself "Yes! Look at all the yummy I have waiting for me today!"

But I'm weird like that.