Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    Just dropped 5lbs of water overnight - the miracle of Keto! It's 5 of 6lbs I gained over Thanksgiving so I'm pretty pleased. I'm in a DietBet and still need to lose 1.5lbs in the next 7 days. I'm planning to egg fast this week to get there.

Anyone here ever egg fasted? If so, how was it?

AND have a great day today - treat your body good with yummy fat and protein!

@JodiSW Ooo, dietbet sounds interesting - can you tell us a bit about it. I need something to keep me motivated. I've lost around 47lbs and it's starting to feel too successful in a way, down a few sizes and everyone complimenting me, new clothes - I could easily stand to lose another 20 lbs though as I am still considerably overweight (but no longer obese yay!!!). I need something to kick me up the bum and get me going again.

47lbs! Good for you!

I'm loving Dietbet. Basically, you join a challenge and bet money that all goes into a general pot. The games seem to range from $20-100. You can do a 30 day game (they call them kickstarters) or a 6 month game (transformers). In a kickstarter, the challenge is to lose 4% of your body weight. A transformer has weigh ins every month. I think the milestones are 3%, 3%, 2%, 1%, 1% (for a total goal of 10% in 6 months).

You weigh in with photos at the beginning and end. At the end, if you succeed, you split the money in the pot with everyone who made it.

It's fun. There are forums and a lot of community. I'm actually in a MFP group there and a Keto group. I've won a few and lost a few. Overall I'm up money. Not much, but its a fun challenge that keeps me motivated. Let me know if you join (you can join and participate without betting money).

I might use this to get me motivated in the new year - thanks for explaining it!
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Okay, not trying to clog up the thread with my thoughts (I probably won't be on over the weekend so you you'll get a break from me :smiley:) but I'm so excited that I have to share somewhere where people understand. The struggle is real.

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving I weighed in at 151.5 then blew it out over the long weekend - lots of carbs. Monday, 156.5. I was so bummed! It's amazing to me how much the number on the scales affects my emotions. I'm working on that but it's a story for another post.

Monday I ate very keto, like 81/16/3 for my macros. Tues-Thurs I egg fasted which kept my macros about the same as Monday. This morning when I got on the scale I was at 149.4. I laughed out loud! I have not been in the 140s since I was like, 10 years old.

Gotta hold on this weekend and not over indulge...94 lbs lost, next stop 100!

Keep calm and keto on! Have a great weekend everyone.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Been lurking. :wink:

Some of you know me.
    For those who don't, I'm Jess, and I'm a recovering carboholic.
    I'm a homeschooler of 4 kids ranging in age from 4.5-13 years. 2 boys, 2 girls.
    I help mod the LCD group. But I can't really be my smart-*kitten* self over there cuz I have to be all responsible.
    I've been keto for 1.5 years, have lost 102lb and hit my goal weight yesterday.

Anyway,
    I keep wanting to make Oopsies but despite being a pretty darn good cook, I'm afraid I'm going to mess them up. I don't really miss bread at all, but I keep looking for something that's like it so I can rope the fam more into my low-carb lifestyle. My ds11 has issues, and he has mommy's carb sensitivity, I'm pretty sure. I made them coconut flour muffins with mini-choc chips the other day that were a big hit.

newtrack wrote: »
    UMDavies wrote: »
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Thanks Carly, you might be right about not enough fat... I'm planning to try a bulletproof chai tea tomorrow. I don't drink coffee and haven't had very much luck experimenting in the past but I'm going to try again until I get it right.

I start my day with a bulletproof coffee and it's worked wonders for my cravings later in the day - when I worked in an office job last year it was always hell trying to resist the cakes and biscuits people brought in to share! Now I'm back studying again my diet tends to be perfectly keto up until about 7pm and then it can go drastically downhill - but that's changing this month! I stuck rigidly to it yesterday and I'm hoping that if I can keep it up my brain will get out of the habit of snacking in the evenings, so I won't feel like I need

I start every day with bulletproof coffee too and I really can't get over how energetic I am for hours afterwards! On Mondays and Wednesdays I started working out with a trainer and was concerned I'd run out of steam. I'm more energetic for the sessions now than when I used to eat my breakfast instead of just drinking it! I used to get evening cravings and really struggle with that. I started doing IF so only have a 4 hour window when I can eat. Once my cutoff time arrives, that's it. For some reason I find it easy to stick to that cutoff time rule and it's a comfort to me. It takes the internal struggle I used to have with myself over whether or not I should have a late night snack.

My name is M'Lou, by the way. I'm hovering between 183 and 183.6 and it's driving me nuts. I'll be so relieved and happy when I finally break through and get below 183! I think my goal weight is around 155. I'm 5'9. I literally just started working out with the trainer last Friday and have had 3 sessions, so I might have gained a tiny bit of muscle which is keeping any fat loss from showing up on the scale.

-M'Lou

I pretty much do the BPC, 2 cuppas, until lunch. I have the buzz. It's a good way to start the day, IMO.

I'm 5'10", btw.
    155 with muscle would look good I think. And I'd bet money, had I any, that your hunch is correct about muscle gain and the scale. My scale does that to me all the time. The last 6 mo, I would wait and wait on the stupid scale to move, but I'd see more chisel in the muscles. Finally I'd get a little whoosh and then we'd start the stupid hokey-pokey over and over again.
    I'd keep at it and not worry over it. You are getting stronger all the time.

My current lament is that I need to drop big $$ on adjustable dumbbells for my home gym. I don't have the money, time, or childcare to go to the gym. The ones I have right now only adjust to 12.5lb each. The ones I want are over $250. But they are compact, so they aren't unwieldy. That's a lot of money though.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Okay, not trying to clog up the thread with my thoughts (I probably won't be on over the weekend so you you'll get a break from me :smiley:) but I'm so excited that I have to share somewhere where people understand. The struggle is real.

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving I weighed in at 151.5 then blew it out over the long weekend - lots of carbs. Monday, 156.5. I was so bummed! It's amazing to me how much the number on the scales affects my emotions. I'm working on that but it's a story for another post.

Monday I ate very keto, like 81/16/3 for my macros. Tues-Thurs I egg fasted which kept my macros about the same as Monday. This morning when I got on the scale I was at 149.4. I laughed out loud! I have not been in the 140s since I was like, 10 years old.

Hi Jodi, You're not "clogging this thread" with your thoughts. Daily updates on how people are doing and how they're feeling is exactly what I was hoping for.

As for the 140's... You go girl! I hope to join you there some day soon!
  • 4031isaiah
    edited December 2015
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Some of you know me.
    I help mod the LCD group. But I can't really be my smart-*kitten* self over there cuz I have to be all responsible.

Anyway,
    I keep wanting to make Oopsies but despite being a pretty darn good cook, I'm afraid I'm going to mess them up. I don't really miss bread at all, but I keep looking for something that's like it so I can rope the fam more into my low-carb lifestyle. My ds11 has issues, and he has mommy's carb sensitivity, I'm pretty sure. I made them coconut flour muffins with mini-choc chips the other day that were a big hit.

Hi Jess!

Yes, I've seen your name around and I'm not sure why I thought this, but I assumed you were male.

Happy Goal day!!! That is so great! Congratulations!!!

I have 2 kids. A son who is almost 12 and a daughter who just turned 10. I've tried baking with coconut and almond flour and have not had much success getting the kids or my husband on board. Did you use sugar-free chocolate chips or regular.
  • baconslave
    Options

The struggle is so real.

You're back on track now. :+1:
    Congrats on the new weight decade. You are so close to that Minus 100.

KCKO. Weekends are so difficult to stay on track! This last month was the first time I've been able to keep them dialed down like I want.
  • baconslave
    Options

Some of you know me.

Anyway,

Hi Jess!

Yes, I've seen your name around and I'm not sure why I thought this, but I assumed you were male.

I have 2 kids. A son who is almost 12 and a daughter who just turned 10. I've tried baking with coconut and almond flour and have not had much success getting the kids or my husband on board. Did you use sugar-free chocolate chips or regular.

Thanks on the congrats. :smile:

Sigh...I used regular choc chips. But I didn't put a lot in. DS11 is a vacuum food-wise. He will eat about anything. The others are more than a bit picky. However, they were still a lot lower-carb than their usual muffins. I have made a cinnamon bread from coconut flour which DH and ds11 liked and a zucchini bread from almond flour I made in the summer. But DH isn't ever that big into sweets, so ds11 and I ended up eating it all. That took awhile, and I was sick of it by the time we finished the loaf.

As far as being mistaken for a guy, it doesn't help that my profile pic is John Cleese in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It makes people think I'm a dude. I picked it to mock some of the circus-like nonsense going on online.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

Some of you know me.

Anyway,

Hi Jess!

Sigh...I used regular choc chips. But I didn't put a lot in. DS11 is a vacuum food-wise. He will eat about anything. The others are more than a bit picky. However, they were still a lot lower-carb than their usual muffins. I have made a cinnamon bread from coconut flour which DH and ds11 liked and a zucchini bread from almond flour I made in the summer. But DH isn't ever that big into sweets, so ds11 and I ended up eating it all. That took awhile, and I was sick of it by the time we finished the loaf.

As far as being mistaken for a guy, it doesn't help that my profile pic is John Cleese in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It makes people think I'm a dude. I picked it to mock some of the circus-like nonsense going on online.

Your ds11 sounds like mine except that mine is only a "food vacuum" if the food in question involves pizza, French fries, chips or root beer!

I really want to find some low carb, low sugar options for him but I feel like I need to get muse together first and find some solid recipes that he will actually like.

When will your ds11 be 12?

As for being mistaken for a guy, because of my profile name, I've gotten the same. That's why I try to make it a point to sign my actual name.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    How can I get and stay in ketosis when all I want are Cheetos? Or anything cheesie really...
  • baconslave
    Options

Some of you know me.

Anyway,

Hi Jess!

Your ds11 sounds like mine except that mine is only a "food vacuum" if the food in question involves pizza, French fries, chips or root beer!

I really want to find some low carb, low sugar options for him but I feel like I need to get muse together first and find some solid recipes that he will actually like.

When will your ds11 be 12?

As for being mistaken for a guy, because of my profile name, I've gotten the same. That's why I try to make it a point to sign my actual name.

He'll be 12 in a little over 6 mo. His birthday was in July.

I have a dd13, ds11, dd7, and ds4.5
    They are messy lunatics.
  • newtrack
    newtrack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    newtrack wrote: »
    Just dropped 5lbs of water overnight - the miracle of Keto! It's 5 of 6lbs I gained over Thanksgiving so I'm pretty pleased. I'm in a DietBet and still need to lose 1.5lbs in the next 7 days. I'm planning to egg fast this week to get there.

Anyone here ever egg fasted? If so, how was it?

AND have a great day today - treat your body good with yummy fat and protein!

@JodiSW Ooo, dietbet sounds interesting - can you tell us a bit about it. I need something to keep me motivated. I've lost around 47lbs and it's starting to feel too successful in a way, down a few sizes and everyone complimenting me, new clothes - I could easily stand to lose another 20 lbs though as I am still considerably overweight (but no longer obese yay!!!). I need something to kick me up the bum and get me going again.

47lbs! Good for you!

I'm loving Dietbet. Basically, you join a challenge and bet money that all goes into a general pot. The games seem to range from $20-100. You can do a 30 day game (they call them kickstarters) or a 6 month game (transformers). In a kickstarter, the challenge is to lose 4% of your body weight. A transformer has weigh ins every month. I think the milestones are 3%, 3%, 2%, 1%, 1% (for a total goal of 10% in 6 months).

You weigh in with photos at the beginning and end. At the end, if you succeed, you split the money in the pot with everyone who made it.

It's fun. There are forums and a lot of community. I'm actually in a MFP group there and a Keto group. I've won a few and lost a few. Overall I'm up money. Not much, but its a fun challenge that keeps me motivated. Let me know if you join (you can join and participate without betting money).

I'm in a DietBet too! I just started my 3rd month in a Transformer. I hit the 3% goals gor both month and I banked a little over $42 so far. The final round will pay out more, so anxious to see what I make. This is my first DB so had no idea what to expect, but I love it.

M'Lou

M'Lou, awesome! Are you on the keto group on DietBet? If not, I'd welcome you there. :smile:

Here's a link - https://www.dietbet.com/community/groups/45-dietbetter-with-keto if you want to join.

Yes I am in the DB keto group! I need to be more active on there. When I first started DB I dug through the messages in that group and learned a lot of good info!
    -M'Lou
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Checking in. First week at job is done. Wow. I feel like road kill. Next week pacing is key! Might have to increase cals due to high activity level. Feeling zonked
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    This week was a tough one for me too. A full work week, DH on afternoons means I'm on my own with the kids running around for their activities and still trying to squeeze in Christmas decorating and shopping... I feel like there aren't enough hours in a day.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Lots of traveling, to Paris in fact, where I'm participating in one of the side programs of COP21, cleverly named POC21. Anyway, I had the good sense of booking a room where I can cook. It's not terribly easy to be a vegetarian in France, eating out-wise. Going keto adds a level of complexity to that puzzle. So, supermarket and "bio" shop to the rescue. It's going to be hard to plan, because the schedule is so hectic, not to speak of the many social gatherings that happen all over town.
  • baconslave
    edited December 2015
    Options
    How can I get and stay in ketosis when all I want are Cheetos? Or anything cheesie really...

They have a keto Cheetos recipe somewhere. I've never tried it. Cheetos never were my problem. Doritos, pizza, and chocolates by the bagful were though.

Now nuts are my nemesis. I'm pretty sure I ate over 700 cals of them last night. DH is always into them. They need to go in a cabinet, but he wants them on the calendar where they can taunt me.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    This week was a tough one for me too. A full work week, DH on afternoons means I'm on my own with the kids running around for their activities and still trying to squeeze in Christmas decorating and shopping... I feel like there aren't enough hours in a day.

December is particularly difficult I think. Work/life balance fail....too many things to do at home!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Geez- it's Monday morning already. I had a terrible weekend, foodwise. We had a family funeral, people from out of town, cake, more cake and a lot of wine. So much so, that I don't remember half of what happened on Saturday night. My DH tells me I had fun. lol. Anyway- new week and back at it. I've got leftover cake at home that may just get chucked out into the back yard for the birds. Have a great week!

Jess- I hear you about the nuts. Sometimes I'm looking for something a little salty and hit the Macadamias. I usually weight out a portion but you don't get very many in a "portion".
  • 4031isaiah
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I really like macadamia nuts too! These days though, I've gotten into sunflower seeds to curb my need for a crunchy, salty snack. The time it takes to crack the shell and dig for the seed helps drag the process out and keep me occupied for longer than a bag of chips would. That seemed to do the trick this weekend.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ... I don't remember half of what happened on Saturday night. My DH tells me I had fun. lol.

I did the same thing on Friday! Went out with some friends and forgot that my alcohol tolerance is significantly lower than it used to be before keto... woke up on Saturday feeling a bit worse for wear :/ and then I had to put the marzipan on my Christmas cakes that I've made as presents this year, which required chopping some bits off the sides of the cakes to get them into the right shape, and these cake bits HAD to be tasted to make sure the cakes were okay... right? So I didn't make it to the gym due to being hungover, ended up eating nothing but marzipan and fruit cake and felt absolutely awful - managed to get back on plan on Sunday though. But then (possible TMI) today I've had some awful GI trouble due to eating so badly on Saturday. I like to think I've learnt my lesson :lol:

I also had leftover marzipan in the freezer for making stollen, but I've had to throw it out as otherwise I know I would have eaten it all - turns out my carb/sugar addiction is not as gone as I would like to believe!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Geez- it's Monday morning already. I had a terrible weekend, foodwise. We had a family funeral, people from out of town, cake, more cake and a lot of wine. So much so, that I don't remember half of what happened on Saturday night. My DH tells me I had fun. lol. Anyway- new week and back at it. I've got leftover cake at home that may just get chucked out into the back yard for the birds. Have a great week!

Jess- I hear you about the nuts. Sometimes I'm looking for something a little salty and hit the Macadamias. I usually weight out a portion but you don't get very many in a "portion".

Yes... Monday morning already! I spent a good chunk of yesterday evening getting ready for the week. I cooked up a bunch of salmon in garlic butter and put it into containers for lunches. I'm hoping that being prepared with set me up for success this week.