Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Keeping your metabolism active by eating constantly is a myth perpetuated by those wanting to camouflage the continuous eating caused by carb consumption as normal. (my 2 cents)

Interesting theory... Makes me think...
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Gah! I ate two cups of chocolate popcorn yesterday because I was so stressed this weekend. Why couldn't I have learned to go walking, running or do weights. lol Way too many carbs for one day. It makes me sick to think of putting it in my log...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Gah! I ate two cups of chocolate popcorn yesterday because I was so stressed this weekend. Why couldn't I have learned to go walking, running or do weights. lol Way too many carbs for one day. It makes me sick to think of putting it in my log...

But when you actually log it, it's almost NEVER worse than you think... It was one day, and probably way less than you would have eaten before!! (hugs) It is life...we're in it for the long haul, right? One day, one choice, was not what got you here. It was the series of huge steps and length of consistent application of these bad habits. Make today full of good choices, and the effects will become such a tiny blip that you won't even notice them AT ALL in the grand scheme of your life in reflection.
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »

But when you actually log it, it's almost NEVER worse than you think... It was one day, and probably way less than you would have eaten before!! (hugs) It is life...we're in it for the long haul, right? One day, one choice, was not what got you here. It was the series of huge steps and length of consistent application of these bad habits. Make today full of good choices, and the effects will become such a tiny blip that you won't even notice them AT ALL in the grand scheme of your life in reflection.

Good morning everyone! Had a potluck brunch at work this morning. It's noon and I'm already off plan and over on calories. That said, in the past, this might have sent me into a tailspin, eating everything in sight. I'm drawing the line here today - back on plan as of this minute.

Agreed on the above. I logged it and it's not as bad as I thought or that it COULD be. Damage control now.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »

Good morning everyone! Had a potluck brunch at work this morning. It's noon and I'm already off plan and over on calories. That said, in the past, this might have sent me into a tailspin, eating everything in sight. I'm drawing the line here today - back on plan as of this minute.

Agreed on the above. I logged it and it's not as bad as I thought or that it COULD be. Damage control now.

That, in my opinion, is a true NSV! Parties, treats and reasons to fall off the wagon will always be there. How you handle it when you get a taste is the true test of change... when you are able to stop your lapse from becoming a collapse.
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Checking in after my weekend away! I had a great time but went massively off plan - my coach down to the city was delayed by 2.5 hours, which threw out all my planning for finding somewhere nice to eat in the evening and ended up with me and my friend just getting pizza to eat in the hostel. It was already half ten at night and there was a pizza place just opposite where we were staying, so I didn't want to drag her any further looking for a more low-carb friendly takeaway :/ On Saturday evening we went to the Winter Wonderland, which was amazing but full of food stalls selling gourmet burgers, belgian waffles, pretzels and other delicious but terrible things! I overindulged there, which I'm not beating myself up about as it was a one-time thing and I had a lovely evening with my friends. I'm NOT happy about Sunday as I spiralled down into one long binging session while I was waiting for my coach back :( It was a pre-keto level of binge! Since I've started eating this way consistently in September and exercising I haven't had a single huge binge, whereas before keto it used to be happening once a week. Now I remember why I used to feel so unhappy and hate myself! I felt absolutely dreadful the whole time I was doing it and felt bad yesterday too - my housemates even commented that I was moodier!

Weigh-in was 12st 3lbs on Friday, which is the lower end of where I've been hovering for a while and I was reasonably happy with. Weigh-in on Monday was 12st 10lbs! :open_mouth: I know it's mostly water weight but still, that was a nasty shock. So, onwards and upwards - I wish I hadn't done it but I can do damage control this week and stay on plan before my birthday at the weekend. I didn't really have anything yesterday except my BPC (and some advent calendar chocolates... I didn't get myself one this year but my housemate bought me one as a present and I didn't want to just throw it in the bin. So I ate them all in one go... because apparently that's a better idea!) and I just wasn't hungry after eating all that carbage over the weekend. I'm going to wait until I can feel actual hunger and fat fast today and tomorrow (cream cheese and BPC at ~1200 calories for the day) and then transition to egg fast on Thursday and for most of Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into ketosis quickly and stay on plan!

Rant over - hope everyone else had a lovely weekend and is getting into the Christmas spirit! After seeing all the decorations in Hyde Park and all of the shop displays I'm feeling very festive now :)

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Okay! Got my one pound loss this morning!! I needed that. So I should be able to put together a couple more good keto days before Friday's alcohol outing. I'm dreaming of a "getting down to 159 pounds" Christmas!" It could happen, but its a bit of a stretch by Christmas. Maybe New Years! Dreaming big...
    Today is a day off for me and while I am trying to pace my energy expenditure to be rested for work, I want to try to paint something. Need to feel a little joy in the soul. Nothing like messing around in the paint pots to do that for me. Have a good one, pals!

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Just popping in so as not to lurk. I've been around and keeping up on the thread. Feeling yucky. I have an evil kidney infection. So I'm on antibiotics, waiting for them to work. I've been having fatigue return for months now even before that. More yucky. With the stress I've been under, I caved and had a carbsplosion Friday night. I've been back on-plan since Sat morning. But between my normal fatigue, the antibiotics, and keto-flu... I'm just all-around BLURGH! And my laptop woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. As in it wouldn't boot. Jiminy Cricket! These past couple weeks!!!

Please forgive typos. I'm on the tablet, and it is worse on the autocorrects than my phone. Ridiculous.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I don't feel as alone now @baconslave, seems like things just keep piling up. I am grateful to this WOE though as even though I'm having some terrible days the high carbs days are still not as high as what used to be normal. And the scale is still staying in the same range although I feel bloated and fuzzy from the carbs. I'll get back on track, I can't let myself stress about the bad impulses when so many other stressors are out there. Glad I have a place to share and people that care to listen!!

So glad to hear from you guys that are on track!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @UMDavies those Christmas markets are hard to resist....there's one near my work and it smells SO good! Hopefully it is all water weight, there's no way you could put on half a stone in 2 days.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yeah, my friend took us for Mexican Saturday, and I hopped right off the wagon from being strictly back on for over 10 days, and now my "can't be bothered to cares" are back in full swing. I hate how i feel this time of year. BLECH
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    UMDavies wrote: »
    Checking in after my weekend away! I had a great time but went massively off plan - my coach down to the city was delayed by 2.5 hours, which threw out all my planning for finding somewhere nice to eat in the evening and ended up with me and my friend just getting pizza to eat in the hostel. It was already half ten at night and there was a pizza place just opposite where we were staying, so I didn't want to drag her any further looking for a more low-carb friendly takeaway :/ On Saturday evening we went to the Winter Wonderland, which was amazing but full of food stalls selling gourmet burgers, belgian waffles, pretzels and other delicious but terrible things! I overindulged there, which I'm not beating myself up about as it was a one-time thing and I had a lovely evening with my friends. I'm NOT happy about Sunday as I spiralled down into one long binging session while I was waiting for my coach back :( It was a pre-keto level of binge! Since I've started eating this way consistently in September and exercising I haven't had a single huge binge, whereas before keto it used to be happening once a week. Now I remember why I used to feel so unhappy and hate myself! I felt absolutely dreadful the whole time I was doing it and felt bad yesterday too - my housemates even commented that I was moodier!

Weigh-in was 12st 3lbs on Friday, which is the lower end of where I've been hovering for a while and I was reasonably happy with. Weigh-in on Monday was 12st 10lbs! :open_mouth: I know it's mostly water weight but still, that was a nasty shock. So, onwards and upwards - I wish I hadn't done it but I can do damage control this week and stay on plan before my birthday at the weekend. I didn't really have anything yesterday except my BPC (and some advent calendar chocolates... I didn't get myself one this year but my housemate bought me one as a present and I didn't want to just throw it in the bin. So I ate them all in one go... because apparently that's a better idea!) and I just wasn't hungry after eating all that carbage over the weekend. I'm going to wait until I can feel actual hunger and fat fast today and tomorrow (cream cheese and BPC at ~1200 calories for the day) and then transition to egg fast on Thursday and for most of Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into ketosis quickly and stay on plan!

Rant over - hope everyone else had a lovely weekend and is getting into the Christmas spirit! After seeing all the decorations in Hyde Park and all of the shop displays I'm feeling very festive now :)

Wow! Sounds like you've had a lot going on. Congrats on having a plan to get back on track.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Okay! Got my one pound loss this morning!! I needed that. So I should be able to put together a couple more good keto days before Friday's alcohol outing. I'm dreaming of a "getting down to 159 pounds" Christmas!" It could happen, but its a bit of a stretch by Christmas. Maybe New Years! Dreaming big...
    Today is a day off for me and while I am trying to pace my energy expenditure to be rested for work, I want to try to paint something. Need to feel a little joy in the soul. Nothing like messing around in the paint pots to do that for me. Have a good one, pals!

Yay for a lb down!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I'm for sure not happy to hear that anyone is struggling, but I have to admit that it does make me feel a bit better to know that I'm not the only one who's been on and off the wagon since beginning this WOE. For awhile I was feeling like I just didn't have it in me to stick to it when everyone else seemed to have it together with piles of weight lost... Now I'm realizing that It's not just me and all I have to do is keep getting back on the wagon...
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my friend took us for Mexican Saturday, and I hopped right off the wagon from being strictly back on for over 10 days, and now my "can't be bothered to cares" are back in full swing. I hate how i feel this time of year. BLECH

I think BLECH is the exactly right word! At least one good thing is eating carbage again is making me realise how much I'd started taking for granted on keto. I made a list a couple of weeks ago of all the positive changes I've experienced since starting this WOE. It sounds like all of us are feeling a bit down and could use some motivation, so here it is:

What I've noticed on keto
    * The main one first! After coming off the pill in Jan 2014, I didn't have any periods for six months. Went to see the doctor and was diagnosed with PCOS. Started eating keto in June 2015 and had a period within a month :) I'm now almost regular again and am more hopeful about being able to have kids one day! This is by far and large the best thing about keto for me - the weight loss is great but this just shows what this WOE is doing for my health as well <3
    * My hormones are much more balanced and I don't have any more violent mood swings, even at that TOM. My poor mother used to get a tearful phone call at least once a week where I'd be stressing about ridiculous things and getting myself into such a state. I feel like I'm in a much more balanced and stable place now.
    * I've suffered with mild depression and panic attacks for a few years, and keto is definitely helping with this. It's been months since I felt that worthless, useless, helpless feeling where I couldn't even get out of bed, and I've had fewer panic attacks. The ones I have had have been much milder than previous ones too and I've been able to manage them. Yay for better mental health and feeling more in control of my life!
    * No more brain fog and trouble focusing, much better mental clarity and motivation to do work or go to the gym
    * No more 'carb crashes' and quite literally falling asleep in lectures or meetings!
    * Loads of energy all day! I wake up and am raring to go straight away, even before coffee
    * I sleep so much better. I used to take hours to get off to sleep, but on keto I'll drop off in half an hour, max. I noticed this last night after eating rubbish at the weekend, my old sleeping troubles are surfacing again
    * I had eczema on my foot which has completely cleared up
    * I've managed to reduce my metformin prescription and am hoping to be completely off it by the summer :)
    * My hair, nails and skin are much healthier - I hardly every get spots and all my friends are jealous!
    * And of course, the weight and inches lost... despite my lapses this weekend I really feel like the weight I've lost on keto is sustainable. It's coming off at a slow rate, but it is staying off week by week when I stick to plan. I'm trying to focus more on what my body is capable of (running X miles, cycling X speed, swimming X many laps in an hour, lifting Xkg, walking for X minutes etc) and what the mirror shows rather than the scale!

Phew! That's everything on my list so far - writing it out I wonder why I thought that binging off-plan would be worth giving all that up for :/

What are everyone else's keto benefits?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    @UMDavies wow! I haven't had a very big weight loss yet but many of the other things you mentioned sound familiar. Now that I think about it, your list is making me think I should try to get my kids to eat this way as well.
  • 4031isaiah
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I woke at 5:30 this AM very hungry. Like, growling stomach and all. What's that about? I didn't skimp on food yesterday. In fact, I actually went over my calories yesterday.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I woke at 5:30 this AM very hungry. Like, growling stomach and all. What's that about? I didn't skimp on food yesterday.
    When this happens to me, I look at my carbs from yesterday....did I over indulge and /or What kind of carbs where they ? Lately, I've woken up feeling hungry, and for me it's those sneaky sweet carbs...mainly the chocolate covered pretzels my hubs keeps bringing home. I can't seem to walk away!
    If carbs are in line, how was the fats ? Not enough fats can mean the hungries too
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    UMDavies wrote: »

I think BLECH is the exactly right word! At least one good thing is eating carbage again is making me realise how much I'd started taking for granted on keto. I made a list a couple of weeks ago of all the positive changes I've experienced since starting this WOE. It sounds like all of us are feeling a bit down and could use some motivation, so here it is:

What I've noticed on keto
    * The main one first! After coming off the pill in Jan 2014, I didn't have any periods for six months. Went to see the doctor and was diagnosed with PCOS. Started eating keto in June 2015 and had a period within a month :) I'm now almost regular again and am more hopeful about being able to have kids one day! This is by far and large the best thing about keto for me - the weight loss is great but this just shows what this WOE is doing for my health as well <3
    * My hormones are much more balanced and I don't have any more violent mood swings, even at that TOM. My poor mother used to get a tearful phone call at least once a week where I'd be stressing about ridiculous things and getting myself into such a state. I feel like I'm in a much more balanced and stable place now.
    * I've suffered with mild depression and panic attacks for a few years, and keto is definitely helping with this. It's been months since I felt that worthless, useless, helpless feeling where I couldn't even get out of bed, and I've had fewer panic attacks. The ones I have had have been much milder than previous ones too and I've been able to manage them. Yay for better mental health and feeling more in control of my life!
    * No more brain fog and trouble focusing, much better mental clarity and motivation to do work or go to the gym
    * No more 'carb crashes' and quite literally falling asleep in lectures or meetings!
    * Loads of energy all day! I wake up and am raring to go straight away, even before coffee
    * I sleep so much better. I used to take hours to get off to sleep, but on keto I'll drop off in half an hour, max. I noticed this last night after eating rubbish at the weekend, my old sleeping troubles are surfacing again
    * I had eczema on my foot which has completely cleared up
    * I've managed to reduce my metformin prescription and am hoping to be completely off it by the summer :)
    * My hair, nails and skin are much healthier - I hardly every get spots and all my friends are jealous!
    * And of course, the weight and inches lost... despite my lapses this weekend I really feel like the weight I've lost on keto is sustainable. It's coming off at a slow rate, but it is staying off week by week when I stick to plan. I'm trying to focus more on what my body is capable of (running X miles, cycling X speed, swimming X many laps in an hour, lifting Xkg, walking for X minutes etc) and what the mirror shows rather than the scale!

Phew! That's everything on my list so far - writing it out I wonder why I thought that binging off-plan would be worth giving all that up for :/

What are everyone else's keto benefits?
    . Love love reading all the benefits for you !!! Great work recognizing all of these !!

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I know this sounds ... almost inconsiderate, but I'm seriously jealous of all you folks who have bad side effects when you go back on carbs. I don't have that. I wish I did, because it would help with the motivation reminder. All my stuff is far more subtle. I'd love some in your face kind of misery... :(