Determined December: Week 1 Challenge Check-In (12/1-12/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
Welcome to the Week 1 Check-In Thread.

Here's a copy of our challenge blurb:
baconslave wrote: »
There's a statistic going around that something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. We're busy with work, school, get-togethers, and shopping. It's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There's lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk and goodies rampant this type of year.

This month we are again going to focus on the low-carb basics. They really are so important to success. And keeping tabs on them reinforces good habits that will serve us through our weight loss journeys and beyond into Maintenance Land. We're shooting for Determined December. Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

This may not be realistic for some. After all, there are many temptations in our faces this month. And a lot of celebrations. What I have done in the past was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important, enjoy them that day, and the next day was immediately back on track. No guilt, but no excuses. Every other time, I planned ahead. Eat before going to a carby event or bring plan-approved goodies. I actually lost weight in December of 2014. It can be done.

You can pick either strategy, but in this challenge monitoring our plan Basics are what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

The Basics:
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead

This thread will be stickied to the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly thread gets buried in our busy little group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky.

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
Determined December is possible!
We are DETERMINED to maintain, and maybe even lose, this year.
We are DETERMINED to not let December run rough-shod over us, right?
We CAN do this.

To give you and idea of possible check-in entries here's mine for yesterday:
Monthly Goals:
To lose that rotten, stinkin, stubborn, no-good, malicious last half pound to goal weight by hitting the basics daily. Carbs under 50g total.
Three 1,000-cal fasts per week, and four maintenance calorie days, until I can hit my goal weight, 150, and stay there for an entire month. This is going to take me on past this month, but we have to start somewhere, right? :wink:
Be sparing with the alcohol, Jess. And plan for calories to be preposterous on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

Start weight: 152.4 (Thanks for the lil' extra, TOM. Swell of you to think of me so fondly!)
Goal weight: 150 and to stay there.

Sunday, 11/29:

Water: 120/120oz check.jpg
Electrolytes Good: check.jpg
Logged Food: check.jpg
Exercise as Planned?: 60 min Dreadmill walk check.jpg
At or Under Carb Level: 37/50g total check.jpg
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! check.jpg
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! check.jpg
7/7

Weekly Trees of Christmas Awesomeness Collected:
tree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.giftree5.gif

Feel free to go ahead and post your goals today if you're wanting to look ahead.
To get a feel for how this works, check out one of the weekly November challenge threads, but up in the blurb is a sample daily check-in and sample goals.

Challenge starts tomorrow. See you then. :wink:

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My main focus for this month is going to be exercise. I need to commit to at least 5 days a week of some form of exercise. It's time (past time really) to incorporate this into my wol. My reluctance has been avoidance of pain that comes as a result of some exercises. So, finding what doesn't make me experience pain will be the biggest part of my challenge. I'm thinking that walking is going to be the majority, with some bike rides thrown in too.

Will check in to report on my progress.

Latest stats:
    197.8 pounds
    <20 gm carbs a day
    1600 calories a day (may need to increase this with regular exercise)

Good luck with this month everybody! Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!
  • sciencenovice
    sciencenovice Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok, my first real attempt at getting my weight under control in at least a year. My goals this month are to not gain weight and possibly lose some. Like 5lbs? I'm doing the Ketogenic diet, today is my third day. I am also doing hiking and kickboxing. I want to feel better about my daily habits with my body. I've drank too much due to stress and ate too much. So after a shocking look at myself at Thanksgiving, I've finally decided to try. I'm only keeping these goals for one week. Kind of like one day at a time mentality.

My start weight:178lbs
    Carbs:6% or less
    Calories:1550
    Exercise:4-5times this week
    Water: 5-6 16.9oz bottles per day.
    No alcohol this week and log food every day too, I'd also like to journal 3-4 times a week.

Today I met:
    Carbs:6% ✅
    Calories:1537✅
    Exercise:kickboxing✅
    Water: 5bottles ✅
    Not drinking today and logged food✅
    Journaled✅
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I just found this thread and I am so glad that I did.
    DECEMBER CHALLENGE
    <20 net carbs daily
    <1500 calories
    Goal: 155 by Dec 31st
    SW: will post in the morning
    Exercise 2 miles on days off work minimum
    Log all food and exercise daily

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Cool, basically the same solid foundation work as November! Thumbs up!

I'll be vacationing for two weeks of this month, surrounded by foods that will be beautiful and absolutely not keto-friendly. So Determined December has a whole other level for me! I'm not that worried about it, it'll just be a matter of whether I can get enough fat to eat and avoid sneaky gluten on menu items.

Month's goal: I'd like to stay on track to be solidly (not just dehydrated-ly) under 140 lbs. I know it's just a number, but you all know what I mean.

Starting weight: 142.8 (hydrated)

So here's my daily plan:
    Write: (+2, this is so important to me I'm weighing it extra!!)
    80 oz water (+2, this is what flubs me up so extra emphasis here, too)
    No Alcohol (0, more of a guideline. That stuff just contributes to dehydration, and hits me hard these days)
    5,000 Steps (+1, I need to focus on this because there'll be a LOT of walking on vacation. +3 if I get over 10,000)
    Exercise (+1, but using DittoDan's E.A.S.Y. method. Body weight exercise earns +2)
    Affirmation NSV (+1, focus on a NSV each day since I won't be able to weigh in all the time)

What's missing from the above? My carb limit. Logging food. Weighing in. These are going to be virtually impossible to accurately measure while I'm traveling. Besides, these things are largely like breathing to me, and not the part I struggle with. I'll still do them where I can. The bits above really need my attention.
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Starting weight: 146 due to Thanksgiving shenanigans
    Goal: get to 140, stay strong and no cheats!
    <1600 calories
    <20g net carbs
    No cheats!!! Lol my main goal this month.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    December Basics Challenge

SW: 159.2 (11/02/15)
    CW: 157 (11/24/15)
    GW: 155 (by 1/01/16)

December Goals:

Try a few new low carb recipes this month
    Walk 210 miles this month to achieve my yearly goal of 1,500 miles
    At or under 40 net carbs per day
    Daily Yoga challenge for December; whether it's 5 minutes or 1 hour, I will do yoga everyday!

tree5.gif
  • baconslave
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Cool, basically the same solid foundation work as November! Thumbs up!

Sorry I'm not more original or fancy. :blush:
    This is the basic important stuff people need to nail down if they want to be successful.
    Consistency forms good habits. Whether it be carb counting or other habits. Mindfulness is imperative.
    Good habits keep the momentum going when *kitten* hits the fan.
    Maybe it's boring stuff. If anyone else has more fun ideas, I'm all for fun. But like I said, I'm doing this anyway. It works.

The trees are cute though, right?
    I'll be vacationing for two weeks of this month, surrounded by foods that will be beautiful and absolutely not keto-friendly. So Determined December has a whole other level for me! I'm not that worried about it, it'll just be a matter of whether I can get enough fat to eat and avoid sneaky gluten on menu items.

Month's goal: I'd like to stay on track to be solidly (not just dehydrated-ly) under 140 lbs. I know it's just a number, but you all know what I mean.

Starting weight: 142.8 (hydrated)

So here's my daily plan:
    Write: (+2, this is so important to me I'm weighing it extra!!)
    80 oz water (+2, this is what flubs me up so extra emphasis here, too)
    No Alcohol (0, more of a guideline. That stuff just contributes to dehydration, and hits me hard these days)
    5,000 Steps (+1, I need to focus on this because there'll be a LOT of walking on vacation. +3 if I get over 10,000)
    Exercise (+1, but using DittoDan's E.A.S.Y. method. Body weight exercise earns +2)
    Affirmation NSV (+1, focus on a NSV each day since I won't be able to weigh in all the time)

What's missing from the above? My carb limit. Logging food. Weighing in. These are going to be virtually impossible to accurately measure while I'm traveling. Besides, these things are largely like breathing to me, and not the part I struggle with. I'll still do them where I can. The bits above really need my attention.

Good plan! :+1:
    I hope you have a great time!
    I wish I had time to write. My characters are mad at me for leaving them sitting. But I need to wrangle spawn, and teach spawn, and need to start crocheting gifts. Perhaps when my littles are a bit older I can give them their assignments and turn them loose. Then I'll have more time. And Tisz and Evenfall won't be so irked with me.
  • baconslave
    Options
    OK, here's mine:

Monthly Goals:
    • To lose that rotten, stinkin, stubborn, no-good, malicious last half pound to goal weight by hitting the basics daily. Carbs under 50g total.
    • Three 1,000-cal fasts per week, and four maintenance calorie days, until I can hit my goal weight, 150, and stay there for an entire month. This is going to take me on past this month, but we have to start somewhere, right? :wink: Once I get the 150 locked in, I'm planning on doing a recomp so this is good practice for calorie cycling that I'll need.
    • Be sparing with the alcohol. This is my last vice. I'm not a cheap-drunk. Keto is supposed to make you more sensitive to it, and it takes less alcohol to get the buzz on. Supposedly. Not me though. It takes as much as ever, which is a darn lot of calories. I'm talking 4 whole shots. That's 400 cals I don't have to waste. Being tall sucks. So I'm not hitting my goal like I want while drinking. That's on the back burner until I get goal locked in.
    • Calories will be silly on Christmas Eve/Day, but there will be low-carb goodies to keep the carbs all good.

Start weight: 151.4 (Thanks for the lil' extra, TOM. Swell of you to think of me so fondly!)
    Goal weight: 150 and to stay there.

My weight just bounces around all crazy right now. Yesterday I was 1lb heavier. A couple days ago it was 3lb heavier. And a couple before that I was a half pound to goal. Such nonsense.

Annnnyway...
    I had a cute little prezzie jpg to use for my collecting but MFP is being stupid and my browser hates it right now, so it won't drag/drop images. I'm not about to go to the trouble to host it. So...maybe another day. The cute little trees will do for now.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Determined December! Love it!

I also like the dehydrated factoring.@glossbones. So true in my case. Need to up the water this month and very little alcohol. Making exceptions for a little on my bday and xmas, but that's it. Just not worth it on LC. It derails my progress for at least 3 days and the hangovers are brutal.

Month's goal: Solid 4 pounds
    Starting weight: 148.2 ( the .2 was excess carbs yesterday. -Lost 3 pounds last month, Hoot!)
    Goal weight for December: 144.0

Daily plan for December:
    -Log everyday
    -Start new exercise plan. Working out in the gym in the morning before work. Evening exercise has been hit or miss, mostly miss. Will continue with Yoga on Wednesday. Walking.
    - Carbs: 20g.
    - Calories:1300
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread and I am so glad that I did.
    DECEMBER CHALLENGE
    <20 net carbs daily
    <1500 calories
    Goal: 155 by Dec 31st
    SW: will post in the morning
    Exercise 2 miles on days off work minimum
    Log all food and exercise daily

SW: 168 :neutral:
    Christmas Goal: 160
  • glossbones
    Options

This is the basic important stuff people need to nail down if they want to be successful.
    Consistency forms good habits. Whether it be carb counting or other habits. Mindfulness is imperative.
    Maybe it's boring stuff. If anyone else has more fun ideas, I'm all for fun. But like I said, I'm doing this anyway. It works.

I was not being sarcastic! Fundamentals are the key. <3<3<3
    The trees are cute though, right?

Totally!! I can't wait to post mine when I report in tomorrow!

Good plan! :+1:
    I hope you have a great time!

Thank you! The nice thing is that, other than not trusting the menus (braised ribs at Applebee's mean BREADED ribs, for example), I am mentally free from food. I know can enjoy the vacation without stressing like I might if I were on Weight Watchers or something with a very arcane and mystery-shrouded system of allowable foods. Is there meat? Cool! Is it covered in bread? BALLS.
    I wish I had time to write. My characters are mad at me for leaving them sitting. But I need to wrangle spawn, and teach spawn, and need to start crocheting gifts. Perhaps when my littles are a bit older I can give them their assignments and turn them loose. Then I'll have more time. And Tisz and Evenfall won't be so irked with me.

I finally caught on, for me, that it's not about being presented with time to write as if it were a gift the universe would bestow on me. There's always something else to do that can be weighed as a higher-priority item. I must wrench the time from the zombie-plagued clutches of the day, and RUN to my sacred space to use it wisely!

This is easier said and done for me, childless, than for a mother of four!!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Baconslave for making this place to check in! No gain Nov was a success for me (even lost 2+ pounds in spite of an unforseen binge episode) It helps to have a place to think and vent and share.
    For December:
    Continue on 20g keto plan.
    Continue to increase daily activity levels in a natural, unstructured way. (just dont seem to be able to follow a structured workout plan)
    Finally, face the holiday blues head on with kindness to myself, and by reaching out daily to others in my actual or MFP world. I am a new empty nester, single and not loving it. Already feeling weepy and hurt just from hearing a christmas carol. So, daily self pampering until Jan 1, at least. Hoping to avoid emotional eating at all costs. And maybe then I will be feeling better by losing a few more pounds. That does seem to help me feel way better.
    Really cant wait for this season to be over.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've been binging lately.... a combination of too many carbs and not enough water (especially on the weekends). So my goal this month is to indulge without binging, and to drink more water!

I'm going to Wales for Christmas to visit the out-laws (in-laws), where I will likely be unable to control or track my food. I also have 2 company parties to attend where there is a fixed dinner menu with little choice. I don't want to be stressed about it, so I've made a conscious decision that I will enjoy myself without letting my diet get completely out of control. I will do the best I can and bounce back.

Monthly Goals
    1. Make the best choices I can and try not to stress about things I have no control over.
    2. Enjoy myself (in moderation), and try to maintain a balanced approach to diet.
    3. Drink more water!!!!!!!! (at least 8 glasses a day)
  • baconslave
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »

I was not being sarcastic! Fundamentals are the key. <3<3<3

I know there was no sarcasm intended.
    Just defending/recognizing that I'm a Dully McBoringPants.
    Thank you! The nice thing is that, other than not trusting the menus (braised ribs at Applebee's mean BREADED ribs, for example), I am mentally free from food. I know can enjoy the vacation without stressing like I might if I were on Weight Watchers or something with a very arcane and mystery-shrouded system of allowable foods.

I know! There's no, "Oh I wish I could have this, this and this. Whiny, snivel, whine." There's, "Ooooo. Yum! Having that! Bring me some butter, too, please."
    Is there meat? Cool! Is it covered in bread? BALLS.

Snorted coffee! :lol:

• glossbones
    Options
    Is there meat? Cool! Is it covered in bread? BALLS.

Snorted coffee! :lol:

o:)
  • baconslave
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I've been binging lately.... a combination of too many carbs and not enough water (especially on the weekends). So my goal this month is to indulge without binging, and to drink more water!

I'm going to Wales for Christmas to visit the out-laws (in-laws), where I will likely be unable to control or track my food. I also have 2 company parties to attend where there is a fixed dinner menu with little choice. I don't want to be stressed about it, so I've made a conscious decision that I will enjoy myself without letting my diet get completely out of control. I will do the best I can and bounce back.

Monthly Goals
    1. Make the best choices I can and try not to stress about things I have no control over.
    2. Enjoy myself (in moderation), and try to maintain a balanced approach to diet.
    3. Drink more water!!!!!!!! (at least 8 glasses a day)

Right. Don't sweat the things you can't control. Just wrench control back the minute you can. Meanwhile, enjoy life. :+1:
    elize7 wrote: »
    Thanks to Baconslave for making this place to check in! No gain Nov was a success for me (even lost 2+ pounds in spite of an unforseen binge episode) It helps to have a place to think and vent and share.
    For December:
    Continue on 20g keto plan.
    Continue to increase daily activity levels in a natural, unstructured way. (just dont seem to be able to follow a structured workout plan)
    Finally, face the holiday blues head on with kindness to myself, and by reaching out daily to others in my actual or MFP world. I am a new empty nester, single and not loving it. Already feeling weepy and hurt just from hearing a christmas carol. So, daily self pampering until Jan 1, at least. Hoping to avoid emotional eating at all costs. And maybe then I will be feeling better by losing a few more pounds. That does seem to help me feel way better.
    Really cant wait for this season to be over.

You're welcome. I'm just trying to share what worked for me so well.
    You really are doing great. You have to take care of yourself. YOU DESERVE IT. Repeat that to yourself a million times a day if you have to. You aren't alone. We'll be here to help. :heart:
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    So I'm in and still feel like a toddler that just learned to walk. I fell down a lot in November with this new WOE. I've read a lot and I feel more scattered than I do enlightened by the things I've read. The level of carbs to stay within, the number of calories (and how much they matter), net carbs vs. total carbs, sweeteners that have way more carbs than I even realized, how does this all factor in to PCOS. You know. That sort of thing. For December I'm first hoping that I'll fall in to some sweet spot that I feel less like a ping pong ball bouncing from thought to thought. It's ridiculous.

SW: 178
    GW (December): 174
    Carbs: <100 (probably,maybe?)
    Calories: </= 1660 (also variable)
    Water: 64+ oz daily
    Exercise: Min. of 4x per week

I feel ok about the holiday food for the most part. I'm sure one or two days will not be great, but as long as I fall back into line (however crooked it may currently be), I think I'll be alright.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Its weird I was kind of bummed I didn’t lose weight in November.

After thinking about it though November and December are typically the months where I rapidly undo all my progress throughout the year and my weight remained unchanged.

This included coming off an injury and starting to lift again (water retention), not counting anything and just following low carb principles, having two dates with my wife to the movies where too much popcorn and beer was consumed, thanksgiving (pecan pie enough said), and other relatives thanksgiving. And yet I didn’t gain any weight. Pretty cool.

My goal for December is continue to make healthy choices everyday that improve my life. I’ve found any metric driven goals tend to unleash the obsessive side of my brain in an unhealthy way so the best way I’ve found is just the question “Did I honor myself and make healthy decisions to improve my life today?” is the best way for me to succeed so that’s what I’ll be doing.

Cheers to everyone.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    SW 11/2: 150.6
    CW: 142.6
    GW for December 31: 139.6 or below (DietBet goal for Transformer Round 4, should be reasonable, I hope!)
    My goals for December:
    Carbs: Under 20 net/day
    Calories: 1350/day + eat back up to 1/2-2/3 exercise calories
    Logging and measuring daily
    Getting in exercise at least 3x/wk
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My youngest child will be four months old on the third. I gained 50 lbs with the pregnancy (this is my 4th child and I always gain that much, no matter what I do). I was moderate carb during the pregnancy and got right back to low carb (about 80g/day seems to work for me) and have dropped 36 lbs so far. With only 14 lbs left to get to goal I really don't want holiday setbacks! I only lost about two lbs during November, but I was just glad not to gain. We celebrate one of my children's b-days tomorrow, then we are having her party on the 12th, and of course Christmas get togethers and parties and such... Ideally I'd like to lose 2-3 lbs this month, but really I'll be satisfied with maintaining.

SW 8/3: 195 (day youngest child was born)
    CW: 159.0
    GW for December 31: 159 or below, shooting for 157
    My goals for December:
    Carbs: Under 80 net/day
    Calories: havent been tracking calories since during my pregnancy, not planning to start for a while yet
    Water: haven't been drinking as much water as I probably should; aim to get at least 64 oz a day this month
    Holiday parties/gatherings: stick primarily with low carb options, allowing a small serving of a dessert I especially like at each. And go easy on the booze.... That one usually gets me, but since I'll still be nursing the baby this year, it shouldn't be as difficult :)