Dresses!

Options

Replies

• brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I was told that most dresses you can put one in (if you love a dress that doesn't have the lace up back). The zipper on my dress needs to be replaced anyway (got it off the rack) so I'm going to ask the seamstress to put in a corset/lace up back. Another lace up pro a friend mentioned if your dress is strapless is that you can tie that top a little tighter to help keep things up.
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    I was told that most dresses you can put one in (if you love a dress that doesn't have the lace up back). The zipper on my dress needs to be replaced anyway (got it off the rack) so I'm going to ask the seamstress to put in a corset/lace up back. Another lace up pro a friend mentioned if your dress is strapless is that you can tie that top a little tighter to help keep things up.

Yep, for sure! I'm sure it'll be fine, but wish I had done this.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    After yesterday, I agree about laces vs. zipper. I found out that with a zipper, I have to go up a dress size in a lot of dresses. :/ I just got my dress yesterday after trying on dozens of dresses at three different stores. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the pictures onto my computer from my camera (low battery keeps producing an error) or my phone (no sd card to transfer memory with. booo). Everyone has all the fall dresses on sale because they are trying to make room for the spring dresses. I got a sample dress marked down from $1500 to $400. It fits me right off the rack! But I'm gonna hafta take it to alterations to shorten it in front so I can walk. Anyway, dress shopping is exhausting. I'm glad it's over.
  • Alioth
    Options
    6821.jpg
    6821-2.jpg
    Found a url. Let's see if this works.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Nice! I like the bottom
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Beautiful dresses ladies! Can't wait to get mine taken in a bit (eek!) - first dress fitting on Friday!
  • samlovesthesnow
    Options
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Beautiful, I love the sleeves!
  • samlovesthesnow
    Options
    Thank you! It's not finished off properly yet - can't wait to see the final result with the veil!!
  • Alioth
    Options
    Gorgeous! I especially love the bead work.
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    I love the sleeves, too! I really wanted sleeves but there are just so few dresses with sleeves in the stores right now and I couldn't find one that I liked. You look like a princess!
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    ^^ My dress :) I loved wearing it and am so bummed that I won't get to wear it again! I'm not sure what to do with it yet...keep it? try to sell it? not sure...
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    Awww...GORGEOUS! I heard of a bride who kept her dress and wore it every year on the anniversary of her wedding even if just for a little bit for her husband...there was a whole sweet story that went with it and I can't remember what it was, but she made it a tradition.

I've also heard of others altering it, like dye or removing the train (bottom) and etc to make it into an evening gown or cocktail dress??
  • samlovesthesnow
    Options
    Jill, you look absolutely stunning! Ive heard of people framing their dress to put on the wall, or you can get a lovely keepsake box for it. I love the idea of trying it on once a year! (Might be a good incentive to avoid weight gain too!) I don't think I could bear to cut mine up or dye it!
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Absoultely gorgeous, love the winter fur.

I think I'm going to have mine taken up so I can wear again, or not have it made too long. Kiera Knightly wore hers to events!
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! I think having it altered would probably cost a ton and I doubt I'd really wear it again. I think I'll end up trying to sell it and if I don't have luck there, I'll just have it boxed up and stash it somewhere. I can't imagine having it put on the wall, haha! I heard about people who put them on every anniversary..def would be good incentive regarding weight :)
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    Been looking at more and more dresses online since I leave for Las Vegas & Seattle this coming Saturday for a weeklong trip where I will spend some time trying on different dresses.
    I know that I don't want a train and I don't want backless or sleeveless. Even if the sleeves are sheer, I want sleeves and I want my back covered and I'm taking the advice from you lovely ladies in the above^^ thread about getting a lace up rather than a button or zip...otherwise I'm clueless about what type of dress I'll be getting...UGH!
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    @Alioth I totally missed your dress somehow, it's gorgeous! I like the fabric and detail
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    One thing I would say is make sure you try on a variety and if the price is right keep in mind that seamstresses can do a lot. I was sure I didn't want anything fitted and absolutely wanted some straps. Ended up with fit and flare fitted through the hips and strapless. Even if you're sure it's not what you want (or positive it isn't), it doesn't necessarily hurt to try it on.

If you particularly want your back and arms covered, you could look for a cute shrug or scarf to wear over a dress that may have a lower cut in back or less sleeves than you want. May open up more options (I had trouble just finding dresses that weren't strapless). If you don't want a train, you may even have options of getting a seamstress to take the fabric from the train and make a shrug so it matches perfectly.

Have fun!