What's your dessert policy?

Options
13»

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My policy on dessert is either dont have it, or iifym style. I do sometimes save up carbs for a smidge of pumpkin pie or a cookie.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've swapped my bullet proof hot chocolate from the morning to the evening after dinner, instead of my usual dessert. Just choc/peanut butter protein powder with mascapone topped off with boiled water, minus the usual butter and coconut oil. This alone shaves off at least 300ish calories everyday.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    None normally, but occasional mouthful only of someone elses desert. I cannot face a whole serve and stop at that. But dont feel deprived with only a mouthful so feeling ok. Actually I dont really miss desert now.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    In the last month I have had protein shakes at a few breakfasts each week so my carbs went up a bit. I also had cake one day and a few crackers when at friends, so I fit in. I have had my weight flat lined for 3 weeks. Extra carbs and desserts. Not worth it.
  • Pinkspiritt
    Pinkspiritt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just trying to get through the holiday period! Cakes and desserts everywhere, plan to really buckle down seriously at the start of the new year.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Having a low carb dessert helps me more than it hurts. After having part of a serving of low carb chocolate cheesecake, I forgot all about eating the rest of my dinner yesterday. (Seriously, is there something in chocolate that puts cravings to bed)? I'm not terribly prone to carb and sugar cravings unless I'm not eating enough protein and fat.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I am now in the @Dragonwolf camp: "abstain entirely from all forms of sugar for 4-6 weeks to break the habit and make new ones." I keep looking at the liquid stevia in my refrigerator, thinking I should just get rid of it. Anything sweet, artificial or not, sets me off. Again.

Something else that helps, too, to reset your sweet threshold, is to only sweeten to tolerance, not to taste. For example, if your perfect cup of tea or coffee has 8 splenda in it, try using 7.5. Then seven, and so on. (As a point of reference, I got down from 3-5 heaping tsp of sugar minimum to 1 packet or dropper or Sweet Leaf stevia, just by bumping down every few days...my friend drank the 8 splenda and got down to 1 splenda, 1 stevia using tihs same method...)

I only sweeten hot tea to where it is drinkable, not to where i finish one and want twelve more cups immediately. It's enough to sate that sweet urge (sometimes) without triggering reactions, etc. For me, it's kind of like flying under the radar.

Also, if you use a xylitol toothpaste (most are), try just brushing your teeth. It will leave a "clean feeling" that makes other foods taste not awesome, you get the hint of sweet in your mouth, and then it's gone... Sometimes it helps, as I found out by accident.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I am now in the @Dragonwolf camp: "abstain entirely from all forms of sugar for 4-6 weeks to break the habit and make new ones." I keep looking at the liquid stevia in my refrigerator, thinking I should just get rid of it. Anything sweet, artificial or not, sets me off. Again.

Something else that helps, too, to reset your sweet threshold, is to only sweeten to tolerance, not to taste. For example, if your perfect cup of tea or coffee has 8 splenda in it, try using 7.5. Then seven, and so on. (As a point of reference, I got down from 3-5 heaping tsp of sugar minimum to 1 packet or dropper or Sweet Leaf stevia, just by bumping down every few days...my friend drank the 8 splenda and got down to 1 splenda, 1 stevia using tihs same method...)

I only sweeten hot tea to where it is drinkable, not to where i finish one and want twelve more cups immediately. It's enough to sate that sweet urge (sometimes) without triggering reactions, etc. For me, it's kind of like flying under the radar.

Also, if you use a xylitol toothpaste (most are), try just brushing your teeth. It will leave a "clean feeling" that makes other foods taste not awesome, you get the hint of sweet in your mouth, and then it's gone... Sometimes it helps, as I found out by accident.

That's amazing advice. I actually got my 17 year old daughter from 8-10 packets of real sugar in iced tea to drinking it unsweetened over about a year by having her cut down little by little and then using a sugar and Splenda mix until there was no more sugar and then no more Splenda either.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep, I went from 3tsp of sugar in a cup of tea to zero, now I can't handle the taste of sugar in tea. I was averaging 8-10 cups a day which adds up to a ton of sugar. I was super skinny then too..
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Depends on how good I was for the day. If I stuck to around 450 cals/per meal and around 20g carbs/ and I have room, my go to treat is strawberries, blackberries, raspberries with Heavy Whipping cream, whipped with almond extract and/or vanilla extract. I don't use any sweeteners. I may also make an exception for a sugar-free custard pudding, that I 'reward' myself with as long as it doesn't kill my macros for the day. WinterSpice Tea by Twinings, black, no sugar, is also an evening treat.
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have a rather large to-do event to go to in February. They serve a large meal with a decadent dessert. I will pawn mine off on one of the soldiers that sits with us or just leave it. Kind of feels wasteful at $40 a ticket, but oh well.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm all about sugar-free jello with whipped cream (I make it with a packet of stevia, because!!)!

I firmly believe that there is absolutely NO such thing as a sugar addiction. There is certainly a human preference for sugar which makes it tough to eat less of it, but to refer to a preference for it as an addiction is misunderstanding what an addiction really is. Not to say it's easy to eat less/cut out added sugar, but it would be better explained by a habit than an addiction.

For me, I can eat a serving of the jello with whipped cream and while I might end up wanting some more later, I just choose not to. Period.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My policy is if I fit them into my macros then I can eat them as long as they don't have craving inducing foods which mean sugar and flour and the like. I don't consider sweetener craving inducing. Soy, maybe. Cause homemade treats I'm fine with but LC bars and shakes make me crave.

Here's why: even with no dessert restrictions I am averaging 1200-1300 calories a day, far below my goal of 2000, and I don't restrict, I just stop eating when satisfied. I'll even have dessert for bfast if I feel like it. But if you saw my recent post on habits, you'll see I didn't.

My position is dieting is hard enough (save the WOL, everyone is on a diet and low carb dieting is harder then eating a bag of chips!) ;) I'm not going to beat myself up over things that don't matter. I'm sure I'd lose weight if I ate nothing but cream cheese and hotdogs, but who wants to do that?! Part of the fun is dessert!

Ps. Plus there are a LOT of very creative and challenging LC dessert recipes out there! I.e.: fun!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I should also add, making them yourself allows you to lower the sweet factor. I routinely skimp on the sweetener because my taste buds have gotten used to less sweet foods and I don't want to ruin that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sugar addiction is a definite for real thing. It has been scientifically shown that sugar creates the type of dopamine response in some people that cocaine does. It's not a preference. It's driven by an actual hormonal response that makes your body physically desire it.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I agree somewhat. I don't think it's only sugar. I think it's anything your body sees as sugar. Potato chips and French fries for example.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    hsmith0930 wrote: »
    I firmly believe that there is absolutely NO such thing as a sugar addiction. There is certainly a human preference for sugar which makes it tough to eat less of it, but to refer to a preference for it as an addiction is misunderstanding what an addiction really is. Not to say it's easy to eat less/cut out added sugar, but it would be better explained by a habit than an addiction.

Eating sugar, and as a result more carbs, makes the tendency to eat more carbs and sugar much more prevalent, whether you label it addiction or not. Take away the carbs and sugar, and cravings to eat more sugar virtually disappear. Once that is done, the remaining small percentage of likelihood to eat sugar might be attributed to habit, IMO.

We may all be here together as a result of indulging habits in our pasts, however this WOE, including avoiding sugar, makes this journey to improved health much more possible. In other words, take away the sugar and you take away the desire to eat more sugar.