how is everyone doing??

Options

Replies

• dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OMG! fast Day #2 is in the books. I discovered a FD friend in Kirkland frozen Mahi. It's portioned, 95 calories, and easily thawed and pan steamed. I added some coconut oil to lube the pan, Sauted a mess of mushrooms, and steamed 6oz of green beans for total calories under 300.

I'm now eating nothing on my fast day until dinner and it is life changing! I have such freedom at dinner to expand my menu or have "desert'' of yogurt Or fruit. Even working from home I can avoid temptations by visualizing my dinner to come (and doing some house chores). I end up with a clean and organized house after every fast day.
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Dryheat, I've always done 5:2 with eating all my calories at dinner except on days I go to dance class. My class is late morning and I'll eat a gu energy gel (100 cals) to give me energy to dance for 75 minutes. I've tried splitting my calories, but I just get too hungry. What does everyone else do? Do you split your allotment or eat them all at one? BTW, PBS had 2 shows on last night...Michael Pollans In Defense of Food and one from Michael Moseley. I recorded both. The Moseley one is different from the original (I think). I'll let you know after I watch it! I just finished rereading Moseleys book to get me back on track with the science behind the benefits. Sometimes, I need to review to keep me motivated as to why I do this beyond weight loss.
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    @flossyruby1 - I also just re-read the book to confirm my instincts about the once a day (memory is the 2nd thing to go). I'd also discussed the diet a few weeks ago with my endocrinologist (I don't produce Cortisone so I take it orally daily) and she was EXCITED I'd found this program and could follow it. She said it is the best for my condition and glad to see it was working to drop my 40 extra pounds. That gave me new inspiration and motivation. Don't listen to the naysayers - this is a healthy lifestyle.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    As far as when you eat your fast cals, imo, what is best for you, is what is doable for you. I do well with a smaller lunch and a larger dinner. I skip breakfast and snacks on fast days. Skipping lunch, doesn't become me. But if you are able to save all your cals until dinner without any problems, do that. Some people really do do better if they don't wake the beast all day ;-)

As far as the fasting intervalls and health benefits go, I think the jury is still out. Possibly the longer fast leads to more benefits. But if only eating one meal is hard for someone, it's not sustainable. Thus, my opinion, do what is doable for you.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I usually have a 100 cal lunch - a hard boiled egg and a mug of miso soup, or else a big bowl of green salad.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Had a fast day yesterday, mine are usually successful because I just love what I'm eating! I could actually do another one today but my days get determined first by what I'm feeding the rest of the gang. I'm one of those that splits my calories. I have to have something between 11am-2pm, such as an 80cal yogurt, 1 cup of brothy soup for 60 cals, or 2 celery stalks with salmon cream cheese smeared in them, or even just 3 dried prunes to chew on, but something under 100 cals. Then I can make it to 6pm or so. So I split mine. Maybe it works because my dinner will be my fav salad which is low in cals, either way, I need something by 2 pm.
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Had a fast day yesterday, mine are usually successful because I just love what I'm eating!
    Me too! I love trying new foods and can't wait to cook on my Fast Days. I'm looking for an acorn squash recipe now - found a little one I'll share with my partner. She's not fasting (though I wish she would) so I have to find a recipe just for my half. I have found I have so much freedom on fast Days as long as I don't say ''I'd never eat that!"

• flossyruby1
    Options
    Dryheat, try baking 2 halves of an acorn squash for a bit then stuffing them with a wild rice/mushroom/sliced almond mixture. You can either create your own and season with garlic salt and pepper or find one that gives you ideas on seasoning. I've made this before and it's pretty darn good!
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Dryheat, try baking 2 halves of an acorn squash for a bit then stuffing them with a wild rice/mushroom/sliced almond mixture. You can either create your own and season with garlic salt and pepper or find one that gives you ideas on seasoning. I've made this before and it's pretty darn good!

Thanks! I might sub quinoa for the rice - heartier protein and I have it on hand.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Sure is quiet :(

How's everyone doing??
  • andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello! I joined mfp a couple of days ago and am still finding my way around and figuring out how things work.

I am thrilled to find an intermittant fast group! I saw Michael Mosley's BBC program a couple of years ago, tried it, and it was the first diet that had worked for me after years and years of trying! I'm stalled now though, but want to get back to it. Is it OK to be on a 3:4, even though it's technically a 5:2 group?
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    . Is it OK to be on a 3:4, even though it's technically a 5:2 group?

Absolutely!! I did that to start out then switched after 4 weeks to 5:2. Be careful as too few calories for the week can lead to a little binging...... And that can destroy all your efforts pretty quickly.

Good luck!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    It has been quiet! I haven't exactly fallen off the wagon, I just haven't been too motivated to post. I'm still fasting. I've had a few 4:3 weeks, but I think my body doesn't respond very well to more than 2 FD. I simply don't lose more. I'm getting back on track and sticking to 2 FD a week. I'm looking forward to reaching my ultimate goal by April 29 (my 47th bday...YIKES). It's totally doable. I think I only have 8-9 lbs to go. Thanks for checking in, Mama!
  • andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    . Is it OK to be on a 3:4, even though it's technically a 5:2 group?

Absolutely!! I did that to start out then switched after 4 weeks to 5:2. Be careful as too few calories for the week can lead to a little binging...... And that can destroy all your efforts pretty quickly.

Good luck!
    Thanks, mamainthekitchen! 5:2 would be so much easier, but I find that I don't lose on 5:2.

Oddly, I think I've gotten used to not eating, so when it's a non-diet day, I often don't eat much until late in the day, and then sometimes the nighttime cravings kick in. It's a hard habit to break. When I eat throughout the day, it's better. But maybe you're right and 4:3 is just too much calorie restriction. If that's the case, I'm going to need to do a lot of exercise!

Anyway, right now I'm trying to carefully examine just what it is that's going on with me, in order to make whatever adjustments to my habits are needed. One thing I definitely need is a plan for eating more healthy meals on non--fast days.

flossy, only 8 or 9 pounds? That's great! Good for you!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Thanks, Andrea, but those last pounds are taking FOREVER!! It's easy to become complacent because it is taking longer. I'm hoping to muster some motivation to get me through April!!
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Well good for you Andrea - tweaking 5:2 until it works for your body equals success in my books! I also need to eat during the day, not a lot, but something nutritious to keep me going. I'm also similar to Flossy in that it's easy to get complacent when you have a smaller amount of weight to lose, so the motivation is lacking some days. This is precisely why I like this forum... To read what others are doing and how they're coping& succeeding... It helps to remember the struggle we've gone through.

Flossy, I have 10 yrs exactly on you..... You'll have no problem reaching your goal by April, although here's two words of wisdom..... Eye Cream! The more weight I lose, the more wrinkles appear, I suppose my formerly plump face puffed up & hid those suckers B)

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Not too bad! Had 2 good fast days last week - Tuesdays and Thursdays go well as I'm out in the evening. Indulged a bit too much at the weekend celebrating Chinese New Year, and also managed to fall while I was out running with my dogs, so my exercise routine will be a little more gentle this week.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Flossy, I have 10 yrs exactly on you..... You'll have no problem reaching your goal by April, although here's two words of wisdom..... Eye Cream! The more weight I lose, the more wrinkles appear, I suppose my formerly plump face puffed up & hid those suckers B)

Mama, how timely of you to mention the eye thing. I've been plagued by, what I will unaffectionately call, "eye jowls". I believe jowls are large amounts of flesh that hang off the cheek bones. Well, I've got them under my eyes. Puffiness that gets better as the day moves forward, but I am so self conscious of them. My dermatologist says its from losing weight for sure. I'm trying everything short of anything invasive. I'm considering using strips of duct tape to smooth them over and just tell everyone I've joined a football team or I'm doing covert navy seal training. I think it could work :p
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    I like the covert navy seal training!! You go girl! That's funny! Although, bags are never funny!! Try my fav... "Oil of Old Lady" aka Oil of Olay Eye Gel. It's not a cream but clear gel in a 'pot' you can use day & night under & over make up....and if you sleep with your head under the covers or buried in your pillow...stop it! Cold face cloth in the morning may help..... Maybe buy some big 'ol sun glasses and be a rock star! Ahh the joys of aging! Cheers B)
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    @melaniecheeks sorry to hear you fell during your run! I would have cried all the way home!!!