Looking for soda/pop suggestions

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
Hey All,

I'm looking for suggestions for a diet soda. Specifically, I'm wanting something that has limited or at least less than avg amount of artificial sweeteners. I have been avoiding all sugar and artificial sweeteners for the past two months but am getting bored with plain water and soda water. Is there a "diet" beverage that is flavoured but has less artificial sweetener? Doesn't have to be carbonated. Thanks.

Replies

• pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I avoid artificial sweeteners, too. That said, I like the La Croix sparkling waters. I like the lemon, lime, and grapefruit ones.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I like using Mio flavors. I can use a little or a lot and even mix flavors. The black cherry in a sparkling water is a lot like a cherry coke.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    How is Zevia? It's a soda supposedly sweetened with stevia. I keep seeing it but it's pricey, so I'm afraid to sink $ on a 6-pack if I don't know whether or not I'll like it.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I buy Zevia but wait for it to go on sale. I bought 4-6 packs recently for $3.99 a pack, that's about the cheapest price I've seen in Canada. But I only buy it for special occasions. I can't afford to make this part of my regular routine. I consider it to be an occasional treat.

I don't like all the flavours, but love the root beer and my daughter loves the cream soda. I enjoy them with a bit of vodka sometimes.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    Good suggestions, thank you. I'm definitely going to try the MIO and will try to find La Croix. According to their website it should be here in Canada at Whole Foods or Sobeys (in case anyone else reads this and wants to find it).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I just go with carbonated waters.
    I will buy zevia for my boys once in a while. I find it very sweet and tend to skip it. I can see it being a nice mix.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I use some lemon slices and some stevia in my water. I have a big 32-oz water bottle.Taste like watered down lemonade to me and is a nice change and I can use the same two lemon slices all day. I have been trying to cut out the diet sodas and I found that plain water gets a little boring at times myself. I also brew a single serving of tea in the evening with my meal, ice it and sweeten with stevia. I don't dare brew a whole pitcher or I wont drink my water.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I like la croix also. My husband puts a few drops of Mio in his to give it more flavor.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about "coke life", the green can. I think it's sweetened with stevia.
  • DoctorShock
    DoctorShock Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Coke Life is sweetened with stevia extract and cane sugar. It's still about 90 calories and 24g of carbs for a 12-oz can.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Coke Life is sweetened with stevia extract and cane sugar. It's still about 90 calories and 24g of carbs for a 12-oz can.

Yikes. Scrap that!
  • daylitemag
    Options

Given that I'm currently consuming less than 20G net per day, I think I will give this one a pass. LOL
  • Christine_72
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »

Given that I'm currently consuming less than 20G net per day, I think I will give this one a pass. LOL

Can't say I blame you! They're heavily advertising it here in Oz at the moment. They eluded to it being sugar free.. Aah advertising :frowning:
  • marlamp10
    marlamp10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the Mio drops, also (and Crystal Light drops). But I'm a big fan of bubbles, and have found that drinking club soda with a slice of lemon, or even with a few Mio drops, really hits the spot when I'm looking for that zing.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want artificial sweeteners, but is erythritol on that not list? If you are willing, the Bai5 drinks use it... and are flat out amazing. As far as Zevia, they often offer coupons on their website.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I drink Sparkling Ice carbonated waters. Try them.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Virgil's "Zero" Sodas:

http://reedsinc.com/product/virgils-zero-black-cherry-cream-soda-copy/

Ingredients: Purified Carbonated Water, Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf Extract, Natural Fruit Flavors and other Natural Flavors, Spices. Gluten Free. No Preservatives, No Caffeine, No GMO’s, and No artificial anything!

'Nuff said.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Diet A&W in terms of taste but that might not fit the bill for you. I don't drink it very often anymore though. I've been wanting to try Zevia; waiting to find it on sale.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Make your own "sparkling" drinks. Mix probiotics or wine yeast in any fruit juice (diluted) for 24-48 hours at 68-72 degrees. Makes a "sparkling" carbonated drink that tastes great and has low carbs (the yeast or probiotics eat the sugar). Kombucha is another drink that is fermented fairly low carb, but is quite expensive. You can make Kombucha, but its fairly complicated and slow.

If you use probiotics to produce the carbonation, you can use a sweetener called "Just Like Sugar" a highly soluble fiber that probiotics will feed upon. It tastes great and is inexpensive.

I may make a blog about the above, in the future.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The Canada Dry sparkling water is good too. La Croix is another favorite of mine.
    I find sparkling ice too sweet and you're likely not getting any less artificial sweetener in them than in Coke.
    I occasionally have Minute Maid light also, but I find it heavily artificially sweetened too, so I actually add water to it and give half the can to one of the kids or save it for later. It's not carbonated.