Looking for soda/pop suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the great tips. I am def going to try some of these.
  • cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I buy Zevia too when I find it on sale. Otherwise the La Croix flavored waters are awesome.
  • thubten1
    thubten1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried tonic water? The "diet" version has no carbs and tastes quite different from all the other sweet drinks
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    thubten1 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried tonic water? The "diet" version has no carbs and tastes quite different from all the other sweet drinks

Good call. Diet tonic is good too.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If I liked soda, I'd make some kind of syrup with erythritol and flavoring, and add it to seltzer water, like maybe erythritol dissolved in hot water, cooled, added to selzer, with a squirt of lemon or lime.

Erythritol is an alcohol sugar that isn't usable because it ends up being excreted, so it has no calories.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Vitamin Water Zero- made with stevia,

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    If I liked soda, I'd make some kind of syrup with erythritol and flavoring, and add it to seltzer water, like maybe erythritol dissolved in hot water, cooled, added to selzer, with a squirt of lemon or lime.

Erythritol is an alcohol sugar that isn't usable because it ends up being excreted, so it has no calories.

Does xylitol work the same way? I remember reading that these two were considered the "best" artificial sweeteners in The Bulletproof Diet. It was explained pretty much just like you said above. I think xylitol works the same, but I'm not sure I'm remembering the details.
    Anyway, if so, it gives another option too. :)
  • daylitemag
    Options

Thanks. This is helpful.
  • lithezebra
    Options

Does xylitol work the same way? I remember reading that these two were considered the "best" artificial sweeteners in The Bulletproof Diet. It was explained pretty much just like you said above. I think xylitol works the same, but I'm not sure I'm remembering the details.
    Anyway, if so, it gives another option too. :)

What I've read is that xylitol has calories, but has a low glycemic index and isn't metabolized as a carb, so you'd have to count the calories, but not the carbs. Xylitol is tasty, gives a lot of people a bit of the runs (so start with small amounts), and is toxic to dogs. Keep anything that you add xylitol to away from pets. I used a blend of xylitol and erythritol to sweeten an absolutely delicious chocolate cheesecake for Christmas Eve dinner.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I wonder if vanilla soda would taste like cream soda.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    Hey All,

I'm looking for suggestions for a diet soda. Specifically, I'm wanting something that has limited or at least less than avg amount of artificial sweeteners. I have been avoiding all sugar and artificial sweeteners for the past two months but am getting bored with plain water and soda water. Is there a "diet" beverage that is flavoured but has less artificial sweetener? Doesn't have to be carbonated. Thanks.

Try this if you haven't already. So good! No sweetener at all. Just a black cherry flavor. Takes a while to get used to it not being even diet sweet at all but the fizziness is perfect. I love them. Everyone carries them or something similar. cdymkzbc7zth.jpeg

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Ps. Once you get used to it (maybe a week), regular Diet Coke will taste sickeningly sweet to you. If I rarely have Diet Coke I mix it half half with fizzy water.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I picked up a MIO type thing called Stur. It is sweetened with Stevia and isn't too bad. I will try some of the other suggestions as well.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @daylitemag The "Stur" is actually better than the Mio from my POV. MIO has propylene glycol, not to mention artificial sweeteners (I think splenda). The Stur is just sweetened with Stevia and is much cleaner. (Again, IMO)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I use Mio or a similar type store brand.
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,709 Member
    Options
    What about the Coke Zero products? Are they bad as well? I'm looking for something to mix with an occasional Captain Morgan.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    rippin2U wrote: »
    What about the Coke Zero products? Are they bad as well? I'm looking for something to mix with an occasional Captain Morgan.

I've done it. Yummy.
    They are nothing but artificial sweeteners, so if that is something that stalls you or concerns you then steer clear. But occasional use for a person who does well with them should be okie dokie.

I'm hitting that particular combo on New Year's Eve, as I celebrate my New Year's Day b-day a night early. :mrgreen:
  • daylitemag
    Options
    rippin2U wrote: »

I like Coke Zero very much, but I am wary of the very sweet, artificial flavour. I worry that it could trigger me into eating other things that I'm trying to avoid. That's why I'm looking for flavour options that are low in artificial sweetner or have none at all. I've read a bunch of articles that question the use of artificial sweetners. I don't have the patience to wade through all of it but there is a enough "noise" to make me want to steer clear...if possible.

Prior to going LCHF I was allowing myself one can of Coke Zero per day. I don't think that is excessive but it was easy to cut out and I think I'm the better for it.