The ketchup that saved breakfast

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
I've been LCHF since mid-October and have lost 35lbs! I'm very happy with this new WOE and it gets easier all the time. A major part of my success has been eating a large breakfast with three eggs. I'm so full that I no longer need to eat lunch (a big win). However, I have recently been getting VERY sick of the eggy, meaty, salty breakfast and was almost dreading it. This morning I added a single tsp of ketchup and it made all the difference. Only 1.7g of carbs and really changed the flavour profile.

Anyone have other suggestions for helping eggs not get boring?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I love them with some chipotle seasoning, Monterey cheese and sliced avocado on top. Yum!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love my eggs over steamed vegies (like spinach or broccoli) some bacon cut up in there too. I don't put any sauce on it -- but fresh ground pepper is great. Sometimes 1 oz. of sharp cheddar melted on top. There is sugar free catsup out there, because catsup really has a lot of sugar in it. But I've kind of given up on catsup because I used to drench food in in. I'm really enjoying mustard now, which has no carbs. I particularly like it on turkey meatloaf and even chicken!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I cycle eggs out every couple of months. I switch in meats, veggies, cheese, or (lately) bulletproof coffee.

If I do eat eggs, I tend to eat them frittata style and mix in different veggies, mayo, cheeses and meats.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I make a packet of hollandaise sauce to use over my eggs and bacon or whatever meat I eat at breakfast. It's 2 carbs per 2 tablespoons. It's the kind you can buy in the store and mix with half s stick of butter and a cup of water. I typically use 4 tablespoons per day and I stay under 30 carbs per day. Like eggs Benedict without the English muffin.
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I sometimes put a tbsp of salsa in my eggs. It seasons them nicely. I also sometimes put some avocado on top, then I'm even fuller for the next 5 hours or so.
  • cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I add salsa to mine!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Chipotle tabasco
    pesto
    those are my go tos.
  • ketold727
    ketold727 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    hello
    I feel you pain. I hate salty fatty meaty breakfast. it actually makes me sluggish and heavy.
    I have found that for me the best thing in the morning is a large portion of nothing served with a side if coffee. if I feel crazy that day I will add a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream to the coffee. I don't eat lunch until 2 or 3 pm and it is generally just a chicken leg or a chicken breast. Then at night I go crazy with the steak and sides and eggs and salt. it just seems like my body does not like breakfast. before keto I could only have a 1 donut or 1 bagel before noon. then I could eat a dozen.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Add dill and cream cheese. Yum! Also, low carb crepes with cinnamon and sweetener sound yummy.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    hot sauce
    cheese and salsa
    sour cream

I do sometimes mix it up and instead do a breakfast shake, dinner leftovers, ham and cheese roll-up, etc.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I like to mix things up too. When I first started LCHF I ate eggs with spinach and cheese every morning. It got old after a while. Now I like to add in different vegetables, use different kinds of cheese, add different meats (last night for dinner I had leftover crockpot chicken scrambled into some eggs and topped it with cheese sauce), change the way I cook them (some days I'm craving a runny yolk, other days scrambled, sometimes boiled, etc.), top with sour cream and salsa, use different seasonings to change the flavors, make an omelette, make a cream cheese "pancake"... the possibilities are endless. However, most days during the work week I skip breakfast and call it a fast. :)
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    salsa- pepperjack cheese
    spinach & feta

I even made a pizza omelet moz & pep was REALLY GOOD

may make that for lunch today ; )
  • daylitemag
    Options
    petunia773 wrote: »
    I make a packet of hollandaise sauce to use over my eggs and bacon or whatever meat I eat at breakfast. It's 2 carbs per 2 tablespoons. It's the kind you can buy in the store and mix with half s stick of butter and a cup of water. I typically use 4 tablespoons per day and I stay under 30 carbs per day. Like eggs Benedict without the English muffin.

I like this idrs
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I love to add Cholula chipotle sauce to my eggs. I miss ketchup but don't want to add any carbs I don't have to.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Sirachi.
  • daylitemag
    Options
    I found another egg "helper" that works for me. I added 1tbsp of peanut butter as a topping to my scrambled eggs.
  • creamcake2
    creamcake2 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Pick-a-peppa....the most delicious condiment ever made! Try it....you will fall in LOVE !
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Bacon. I cannot eat a scrambled/over easy/fried egg without bacon anymore. I also add almonds as a side for some crunch and have been considering adding some pork rinds to runny yolks as a soak-up substitute
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Siracha, Franks, or Salsa all work on eggs for me. That and cheese. At least scrambled eggs or omelets. For fried eggs, it's salt, pepper, and butter or mayo.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Salsa or hot sauce here too. I used to think putting anything on eggs was disgusting. That was when I ate it with toast. Now that it's usually eggs and bacon I love adding some spice to it