The ketchup that saved breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Second the Cholula! (I buy huge bottles of it when we travel to Mexico... forget duty free alcohol. All my imports are hot sauces, lol.)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I stared at about a dozen hard boiled eggs in the fridge yesterday and thought "ugh." So, I went back to my childhood and conjured up a memory of creamed eggs (over toast then, alone now). Didn't have a recipe, so I used HWC, a couple of sliced mushrooms, salt, pepper and 4 hard boiled eggs all sliced up, heated it up, added a tiny pinch of xanthum gum to thicken... and I was right back to being 8 years old. Mmmm!
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do eggs with peppers & onions most often. Eggs with diced leftover meat too, particularly sausage is good. I'll also eat them poached over veggies. Or hard boiled & chopped with some mayo, salt, pepper, mustard - an egg salad. I'll also crack a dozen & put in a casserole with sliced tomato, raw spinach, sautéed onion & sprinkled feta cheese. Bake till set & it's fabulous. Basil is also nice in the casserole.
    Sometimes I just get sick of eggs and I'll do a LC flax meal muffin in a mug instead. (Goggle, theres a few good recipes out there). I'll pop that out of the mug & slice & lather with almond butter. A couple days of flax muffin & I find I'm ready for eggs again.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    mug muffins! :heart:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    mug muffins! :heart:

What does your mug muffin have in it?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I know I'm really late to this party, but I like to scramble some cooked ground beef into my eggs. Add a dash or 3 of seasoned salt, and extra pat of butter, and top with some salsa. I've discovered if I do this, 90% of the time, I don't miss cheese at all.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle nutritional yeast on my eggs, only about 1/2 tsp, it's .5 g carbs. It's my cheese substitute as I try to limit cheese to 1 oz a day. Avocados, Sriracha, fresh chives, garlic, spring onions or dill, salsa and creme fraiche are my other go-to additions to keep eggs interesting. I love a fresh herb omelette and will just let my herbs mingle in the sizzling butter for a moment before I add my eggs.
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    CMYKRGB wrote: »
    Add dill and cream cheese. Yum! Also, low carb crepes with cinnamon and sweetener sound yummy.

I'll have to try this!
    I love:
    Pesto
    Mayo & prosciutto
    Whole grain mustard

• landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had baked eggs last night. They were so good! Drop an egg over a pat of butter plus salt and pepper in ramekin and bake @ 375 in a shallow pan of water.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    creamcake2 wrote: »
    Pick-a-peppa....the most delicious condiment ever made! Try it....you will fall in LOVE !

The brown or the orange / red version? I am guessing the latter.
  • jeancrase
    jeancrase Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To keep from getting bored with eggs, I switch it up every day. I alternate eggs one day, wheat belly blueberry muffin, apple w/PB, or cheese sticks
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Pick-a-peppa?
    I have never seen this. Please tell...
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Pick-a-peppa?
    I have never seen this. Please tell...

If it is the orange / red one, it is a sweet and spicy, almost ketchup like sauce. I bet there are a decent amount of carbs in it.

The brown version is a tamarind based sauce and not really spicy compared to the red one. I bet it has less carbs.

I am an absolute expert with this. I owned a spicy food business with up to 900 products at a time, for many years.

This is snipped from my reviews of a book on Amazon, about BBQ:

For instance, in one recipe the writer uses "Pick-a-Peppa" sauce. Well that is all fine and dandy except that there is a brown version of that sauce and a red version of that sauce and they are ENTIRELY different in flavor. One could not be substituted for the other without adversely affecting four end product. And, if I remember correctly, the recipe calls for a WHOLE BOTTLE of sauce... Gee, I'd hate to use the wrong color sauce. I could go on and on.
    There are a few recipes worth checking out. And some good background info on making good "Q", but you would be far better served by finding another book, and so would your guests.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Green onion & cream cheese scrambled into eggs!

I do love ketchup on fluffy scrambled eggs. Eggs get to me pretty quick & make me gaggy, but ketchup gets me through.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've also started to sometimes hard boil the eggs and mix with a couple tablespoons of full fat mayo (egg salad). That's pretty tasty and goes well with bacon, too.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I just heard someone on a podcast this morning say that a family member who couldn't stomach eggs loves them scrambled with cream cheese
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, pickled eggs just popped into my mind! I haven't made any in ages but will do that again next time my fave free rangers are on sale... with ACV & spices.... *pauses to wipe drool from her keyboard*