Rock Your Resolution: January Challenge, Week 1 (1/1-1/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
Here we are. Another year gone. But a new one is just starting, and in keeping with the tradition of a New Year Resolution, we have a challenge for you aiming at helping you KEEP that resolution this year.

Let us know your resolution, or even just a way you'd like to challenge yourself this month.
You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
The post up in the stickies will contain links to the weekly threads should this one get buried. 2 clicks will get you back to this one without having to search.

This is a fresh new year.
Own it.

We'll be here to cheer you on.

Happy New Year and make that resolution stick.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You rock @baconslave!! Thank you!! Need to think about a true resolution! I'll be back!
  • baconslave
    Options
    @glossbones came up with the title.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Resolutions:

Stick to keto plan. For January I hope to stick to my post holiday strictness in order to get down to a newly selected goal weight. This is currently about 20 pounds further than I was this morning. I actually feel pretty good at my current weight, but a full body analysis weight scan suggested 20 more pounds as an ideal weight for me. So, I'll give it a try. I'm shooting for 8 - 10 lbs for January. And I realize that is a lofty goal - but imma try!

My non food goal is to clear clutter out of my home and hopefully my mind as well. I will post small projects and deadlines for accountibility. Probably very boring, but important to me. I'm trying to open my heart, mind, and home to allow friends and love into it. Tired of feeling isolated and bogged down with valueless, excess things which make me feel out of control and disorganized... First project: clear off my grandmother's beautiful coffee table. (It is not a storage bin) Will do this before the ball falls at midnight! I'd better get busy...
    Happy New Year, Pals!
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am going to keep it simple and focus on two:

1. Get out of the obese BMI category
    2. Get fit

This is a great idea. Thanks for posting!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I named it, I'd better participate, huh?

Goals will be in keeping with my usual:
    Write
    Hydrate
    Step goals
    Activity
    Logging
    Daily NSVs
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Goals: Be more active.
    Increase muscle, decrease body fat.
    Keep carbs <20
    Logan more consistently
    Try a new recipe every week
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't know how often I'll update; my current goals, at least for January:
    1. Lower my carbs nearer my current 90g goal while increasing vegetable, fruit and potassium consumption.
    2. Increase my protein consumption.
    3. Keep within calorie goal.
    4. Begin regular exercise.

Of course all this may be modified if I start losing too fast again (side effects of medical treatments in October, but I think all under control).
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    1. Complete 2016 major holiday schedule
    2. Consistent sleep. Bed before 11pm so I can wake early
    3. Exercise 4/5 week day mornings for >30 mins with aim to Increase muscle, decrease body fat.
    4. Keep net carbs <30
    5. Reduce weight by one pound per week
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    1- Keep it under 20g NC/Day-Follow my plan
    2- No smoking
    3- Gym 2x week, at least. Kettle bell at home when I don't go to gym.
    4- Water, water, then some more water.
    5- Stay on budget this month. No extra spending!!
    6- No scale January. I don't think the scale is being friendly right now.

I really want to get my weight on a downward progression again instead of this roller coaster ride I'm playing with 2 lbs. I keep gaining and losing. I did manage to lose almost 4lbs last month but hardly any inches so I am not doing something right. Will lower my calories just a bit and drop back to 20g NC or less this month to see if that gets it going in the right direction. I'm a little down about it, but refuse to give up. I know a lot this past month was my fault in trying to up my carbs and then the Christmas brownie and fudge fiasco. I was lose steadily around 20 so I will go back to that. And of course keep checking in here daily for the much needed support right now. This is a hard road to travel when the world thinks you're nuts for the way you chose to eat. Thankfully I have a supportive hubby who travels the road with me willingly and of course this group.

Happy New Year's to you all and thanks for all the support and info!
  • Grandmahpsp
    Grandmahpsp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am new to this group and have just started lcd.
    My goals are to stick with the program.
    Try to lose a minimum of a pound or more per week
    Drink water. This is a huge challenge for me
    I have a bad knee but would like to get back on our treadmill, even if just a short time

• lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I am pretty disciplined as far as logging, staying in a deficit, exercising, and staying <20 grams of carb per day. However, I do get very discouraged when the scale does not move and my discipline seems not to pay off. I tend to forget that my main reason for staying low carb is that it relieves my knee inflammation most of the time.

So, my goal for January is to exercise patience with myself because the pounds will come off as long as I am eating at a deficit.
    My major goal is to lose 15 pounds because that will put me under 200. I hope I can make that by summer.

Connie
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello! My goal is go keto again and no wheat intake.
  • baconslave
    Options
    My goal is to keep logging everything obsessively and to build muscle. So I'll be working on that and not too concerned with weight. Which is easy for me to say since I've hit my goal weight and am just maintaining right now. I hope to recomp, as in gain muscle but stay the same weight. So far, I've just been hang around 2 or 3lb up from goal weight, but there's a lot of water weight bouncing around. I'm not currently concerned. If by next month it hasn't settled, then I'll mark-time a bit with the lifting and maybe try to cut a little bit. If I feel like it. So far I haven't noticed my clothes getting any tighter. I've only noticed increased definition in my muscles. So I must be doing something right.

So I'll be:
    Calorie cycling
    Keeping carbs under 50g total (though I may do a fat fast for a few days as soon as this dumb keto bread I made is out of the house!)
    Trying to sling heavier and heavier kettlebells and get big ol muscles
    And incorporating more HIIT and less LISS (Low Intensity Steady State cardio-lazy walking). Which won't be hard since the weather is turning cold like it should be finally and walking will be difficult.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My goals:
    Be consistently and honestly SLOW carb
    Do Yoga or Pilates at least 3 times a week
    Run at least 40 miles a month
    Walk 10k steps daily

Thanks for this thread!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My main goal for this year is to lose 35lbs by October 1st.

My resolutions to get there:
    Get and STAY low carb (I'm extremely carb sensitive, and the holidays did me in!)
    Heavy lifting 2-3x/week
    Start - and finish - 10K trainer
    HAVE FUN doing all of the above, without obsessing!

• reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2016

Loose min 4# per month

Log food daily
    Log weight daily
    Log measurements monthly

Expand my knowledge of appropriate foods for my VLCHF woe.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This past week I have been thinking of this, I am not one to make a "resolution" because I find I break them. I was looking at my weight progress this year and it looks like a stock market report. I have figured out I buy things for my kids that I cant have. I must of been getting something from doing it but all it was doing was tempting my to go off plan which i would Then i would go back on- hence the weight gain. or at least starting back at where i was last year.

So,
    I Heather resolve to stop buying crap for my family. esp chocolate & candy. just this past week i cleared out the sugar crap & told them no more sugary cereal after these boxes are empty- they are on notice-

i am not saying nothing fun ever- but when i was a kid i remember cakes & stuff being "SPECIAL" occasion things not every night or week. same with ice cream & stuff.

so momma bear is taking charge & getting her cubs healthy- Period !
    and in the process staying on plan.
    Eat when hungry- not just because it smells good LOL, listen to those hunger cues
    I know what to do time to DO IT !!

• j_jayehl
    j_jayehl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My 2016 resolution is to take my fitness more seriously than last year and commit to developing this area of my life. I'm not completely sure what this looks like quite yet so until I do...

This week my focus is on getting back to plan after the holidays

1 walking everyday outside
    2 at least 5 sun salutations each day
    3 no refined sugar-heal the Christmas sugar hangover :)
    4 logging here
  • Radiant8888
    Radiant8888 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    2016 Year of Health!!!

Changing bad habits is the main priority for me – getting off the sugar-roller-coaster is Goal Number 1. I have set my macros and have my daily targets to aim for. My priorities for January 2016:
    • Stick to my weekly training programme - no excuses. Building up on my: walking, running, core workouts, yoga and Pilates!!!
    • Meditate daily to stay calm and centred.
    • Weigh-in every Thursday.
    • Achieve a LCHF fat burning quotient of >1 every day (Skalderman’s fat burning quotient).
    • Clock up >50 miles a week walking or running.
    • One pampering action every day for my body (e.g. body brushing, pedicure, face pack, rolling).
    • Bed before 11.00 pm every day (I am totally copying another poster here, but this would be a good one for me too).

healthynewyear_456px.jpg
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My goal is to continue to create a healthy me by continuing to be VLCHF!

I've been able to eliminate many medications this last year (off of Lisinopril for blood pressure, Savella for fibromyalgia, allergy meds and nose sprays for said allergies, Doxycycline for skin issues so far) and want to find ways to eliminate the rest, if possible! I'm down to Neurontin (for sciatica and it helps), Protonix that I just begun to wean off of, and estrogen (this one I would love to find an effective alternative for!), so I am very proud of this accomplishment!

I quit smoking 5&1/2 years ago and am so glad I did. But at about the three year time, I began to have serious cravings, and picked up vaping instead. Now, I want that eliminated too, so am putting this out here as a goal for 2016 to get this out of my life (hubby smokes cigars daily, so will be a challenge!)!

Decluttering my home is something I am gearing up for too! I love my home and it deserves to be treated better!

I don't use weight as a goal. It's become a side effect of the health achieved through this woe. I will report on any weight, or inches, lost though! I haven't weighed since the four pound increase last week, after the consumption of splenda that was in a lc cheesecake my sister made for me. Will probably still be a couple of days before I get on the scale.

Thank you @baconslave for the challenge, and @glossbones for the catchy name! Best of luck to you all! I look forward to seeing your progress!