Ja-new-ary(ou) in the making: Workout Check-in

Options

Replies

• taxgirl1
    taxgirl1 Posts: 1,287 Member
    Options
    Missed my workout on Monday, wasn't feeling well.

Lifted today:

Squats: 5x5 40lbs
    Bench press: 5x5 30lbs ugh, they were difficult
    Rows: 60lbs

A guy at the gym was doing the 5x5 too. We talked about the app and he showed me how it worked on his phone and I definitely have to download it.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Back to normal, hopefully!

Monday - derby, Tues - lift, Wed - derby, Thurs - climb, Fri - Lift, Sat - climb with kid.

Tuesday's workout.
    Oy. Been out of this way too long. But, I tried a new location, and this gym has a glute-ham raise machine! Looking forward to trying that out.

Squat - 3x5 at 105 lbs. Form felt solid. Major quad DOMS still though, even with the drop in weight. Hopefully it subsides by Friday.
    OHP - 3x5 at 55 lbs. Felt pretty good. Most reps were really good on form. 5th in the last 2 sets I had to fight to not arch by back.
    DL - 1x5 at 155 lbs. These felt pretty good. Especially since it has been nearly 6 weeks since I DL'ed. Oops!

Row - 3x5 at 70 lbs. Too light, but I had already packed up the Olympic bar and the fixed bars go up by 10s. 80 would have been too much since this was supposed to be a light row day.
    Close grip bench press - 3x8 at 60 lbs. Last rep was pretty grindy, but got them all.
    Barbell curls - 3x8 at 40 lbs. Not bad.
    Cable crunches - 3x10 at 55 lbs. Felt good.

Significant DOMS today in quads, hips, and a bit in my back, but managed derby practice with no issues.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Lower hypertrophy tonight
    Front squat 1x8 30,4x8 35kg
    DL 1x10 50,55, 3x8 60kg yeah I know not DL into tonight's program
    Leg press instead of lunges prob should have done lunges as I struggled
    Single leg 2x8 15, double leg 2x8 40kg
    Leg extensions 4x10 15kg
    Leg curls 4x10 15kg
    No calf work past it by time the machine was free

Lesson from tonight's lifting: when a program says to have yesterday as a rest day it's a good idea to follow the instructions. Having next three days off.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    @taxgirl1 hope you are feeling better today. Definitely download the 5x5 app....I use it every session and it is really motivating for me...plus takes the guesswork out of what I should be lifting.

Rest day for me today.....I too am learning why rest is important!
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Was in and out of the gym yesterday since switching to 3x3 for squats (115lbs) 3x5 for OHP(62.5lbs) and 1 set of deadlifts (got 2 reps at 175lbs, then took some plates off to finish off my 5 reps)

Really working my squat form and realizing how much depth I was sacrificing by increasing the weight.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Woo! First week back to GBB! I noticed I've been pairing the Wendler lifts with the similar strength work of each workout... I didn't even mean to do that! xD ah well

I tried to jup rope during my warmup and that was pathetic ha!

Pendlay Row 5
    77.5x5
    90x5
    102.5x10 (although the last 2 were a little hitched, I think. But I paused for half a second at the top, they count!)

EMOTM x8 - HEAVY chin-up/pull-up x1-3 (alternating grip each minute, all knee in)
    I did 3 with all my bands x2, 2x2 with red and black, 2x1 with red and blue, then 1 with red only for chins, and 1 with red and blue for pulls. I will stick to red and blue next week!

4 rounds of double KB (25lbs)
    - wide sumo deadlift x5
    - front squat x5
    - push press x5
    - thruster x5
    - 60-90s rest

first 2 rounds weren't too bad, 3rd felt lousy and i had to fight through the 4th but it felt more "right" than the 3rd. I might be able to handle the 30s for a round or 2 next week

EMOTM x6
    KB deadlift pop squat x3 (35lbs)
    Hanging knee raises RAT 10/8/10/8/8/12
    My grip was so shot after the first 3 rounds. I need to work it back in. My callouses are peeling/reforming! xD

All in all nice workout. got 5 heros before and after. Might bump that number up next time as they don't feel so bad anymore :)

@christch I would def. recommend when starting a new program to stick to how it is written, at least for a week or two. More is, most of the time, not better.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    2016 starting weights for Stronglifts 5X5s!

Squats - 195 lbs
    OHPs - 80 lbs
    Deads - 200 lbs
    Bench - 125 lbs
    Rows - 115 lbs
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @krokador I didn't intend to do the 4 days in a row - hubby and I are going out fri night and I didn't want to miss my session and there wasn't any chance to get in this wkend. When I looked at the exercise list in gym it looked like I'd missed something off it and I'm so used to doing more just added more. Haha doms awesome this morning will need to get the foam roller out.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Some new people at the gym tonight, but they weren't coming near the racks so I was happy to welcome them! Mentally, I mean, I didn't go round shaking hands :smile:

Squats: 5x5 @ 71.5 kg - back to my previous max weight, so next workout will be uncharted territory
    OHP: 5/5/5/4/4 @ 21.5kg - oof, that extra half kilo makes a difference
    Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 61 kg - I feel like I've 'got' these now, so will start to build on that

Dips: 2x10

I messed about with adductor pulley pulls for a wee while and then realised I was going to die if I didn't eat soon. Home, grub stuffed into face, all good.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts rest day

Goblet squats-3X5X 25
    Kettle bell swing-22X7X 25
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Today's workout...

Squats: 72.5kg - 5/3/4/5/4
    Bench: 30kg - 5x5
    Row: 50kg - 5x5
    Shrugs: 15kg - 3x8
    Skull Crushers: 15kg - 8/4/4
    Curls: 15kg - 8/8/6
    Hyperextensions: 10kg - 2x10
    Cable Crunches: 23kg - 3x10
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It appears I lost a whole bunch of leg and grip strength since I've been gone. Understandable since I was not walking much for weeks.

Conventional DeadLifts - worked up to 150lbs x 8 reps (from 95lbs). Tried 155lbs and failed.
    Planks
    Front squats - skipped.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hey all - is a slippy barbell on deadlift an issue of hand grip weakness or is it something gloves would help? I'm still really new here, and last time I did DL it was 1x5 @ 135 lb. Everything felt fine except I felt the barbell might slip out of my hands. I'm trying not to be impatient with my body but it's frustrating when it's your HANDS that are going to stall you out on deadlift, amirite.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    Hey all - is a slippy barbell on deadlift an issue of hand grip weakness or is it something gloves would help? I'm still really new here, and last time I did DL it was 1x5 @ 135 lb. Everything felt fine except I felt the barbell might slip out of my hands. I'm trying not to be impatient with my body but it's frustrating when it's your HANDS that are going to stall you out on deadlift, amirite.

Grip, mostly. And chalk helps A LOT. I hate gloves, they actually slip around on my palm and make my grip feel less secure. There are hook straps you can try (I have not. Just throwing it out there.)

v1r7efihm1vl.jpg
  • BethAnnieT
    Options
    Ooh chalk! Thank you!! I think I'll try that out while I wait patiently for my grip to catch up. Maybe gloves after that. I'm probably not in need of the hook straps yet for my wee 135 lbs but maybe someday :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT - someone on here mentioned to me that I might choose to do the opposite hand grip where one is under and one is over the barbell. I have been able to go from 135 up to 150 now.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    BethAnnieT - someone on here mentioned to me that I might choose to do the opposite hand grip where one is under and one is over the barbell. I have been able to go from 135 up to 150 now.

Oh yeah. I do over/under grip, too. That does make a big difference.
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    @BethAnnieT I have a hand strengthener ball that I keep on my desk at work - good for stress relief as well as strengthening my feeble fingers. And while I wear gloves for most lifts, I actually try to take them off for deadlifts as, yes, they slip a bit. I haven't tried an over-under grip yet...
  • BethAnnieT
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Thank you! I have seen this in photos and videos and wondered what its purpose was. I'm going to try it. :) Thanks again!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Today's workout...

Squats: 72.5kg - 5/3/4/5/4

Do you mind if I ask what happened here? Did you fail onto the safeties on the sets where you did 3 or 4? And then carry on? Or did you decide at the top that it was too much and re-rack? I just ask because I haven't had to use the safeties yet but I can see it coming, and it scares me! I can't imagine failing and then getting straight back to it. (For one thing, I couldn't lift the loaded bar back to the top - I'd have to take all the plates off!)