Can nuts really stall you?

ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
I've been stuck since around Christmas from having a few beans and a few drinks over the new year. How ever From past experience I should be moving by now and I'm not. The only thing different is I bought a can of mixed nuts.. I measure them on scale and usually only 1 serving and was working them into my calorie goals. How ever I was just reading another post and she was having problems being stuck and everyone was saying "nuts" causes stalls... I thought if I worked in to my goals it would be great to add them to my diet but now I'm wondering is that what has me stalling for so long? Keep or trash them?

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Some people say that nuts stall them. I find they do not affect me that way. You might also try soaking a serving of nuts 6-8 hours the night before you intent to eat them which is a beneficial practice.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Keeping them within the macros works fine, for me, but are so easy to overeat! I don't keep them in the house since their "call" can be loud too!
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Nuts can stall me. I have had to drop them for a while and then slowly add them back in after things started moving again. But, it's different for everyone.
  • ettaterrell
    lowjax75 wrote: »
    Nuts can stall me. I have had to drop them for a while and then slowly add them back in after things started moving again. But, it's different for everyone.

Even controlled portions of nuts stall you?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I don't get this either.. I can't think of what is in nuts that would stall someone, unless nuts are pushing them over their recommended calories for weight loss.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member

I don't get this either.. I can't think of what is in nuts that would stall someone, unless nuts are pushing them over their recommended calories for weight loss.

When I was eating more nuts, I would rarely go over 20 grams of carbs or 2,000 calories for the day. I would usually only eat one or two ounces, not a bucket full. For some reason, nuts stall me sometimes. I haven't noticed it as much this time around, but a few attempts ago when I was eating very clean (90% just meat and LC Veggies) the nuts would throw things off and make me stall.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    FWIW I haven't noticed nuts stalling me.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    As much as I love eating them, roasted cashews are not my friend.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    I eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of nuts a day most days & have lost 31 lbs since early October. No stall here.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Also, one of my boys is allergic to all nuts except peanuts and almonds, so those are the only two I eat/keep in the house. Not sure what effect other nuts would have on me.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Nuts have definitely stalled me even with portion control. The only ones I even attempt to graze sparingly is macadamia nuts. I'm not sure why though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Controlled nuts don't stall me. I have some on most days. It's the binge nut days that stall me. The days of a cup of macadamia nuts with coconut flakes, or 1.5+c of pistachios... It's not really a stall, just me eating too much.

It's funny how different foods affect everybody differently.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    There's also the possibility of mold toxins in nuts being the culprit If you consider Dave Asprey's research on the subject. In his book, he goes into great detail about how nuts are processed and which ones are most likely to have troubling amounts of mold toxins which would cause inflammation and hinder or hide weight loss. He basically says that if you aren't buying very fresh nuts which are kept refrigerated, then you should just assume there is mold present. Now, weather or not you are particularly sensitive to it is another story. But his basic method to determine this is by eating them and if it affects how you feel or affects health in any way, such as hindering weight loss, then you should stop eating them and see if things go back to normal.
    So there's another idea to consider.
  • ettaterrell
    I had never thought about it but I haven't eaten nuts since I started Woe until last week. It was just a can of mixed nuts great value brand, not refrigerated.. I have stopped eating them as of 3 days ago so we shall see. Let me say that I don't think they caused my stall I know that New Years did lol. But it normally takes me about a week to get back on track and this is taking a lot longer... Nuts being the only thing different in my diet. Thanks for everyone's input and trying to help me figure this out!
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    edited January 2016
    I eat a serving every single day and have no problem at all. I did have a stall for a few weeks in December but perseverance seemed to do the trick for me. I really can't understand it being a factor either. I guess the only way to find out is to go some time without them. But in my case I'd rather eat my nuts and not see the scale move- eventually it does.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited January 2016
    I also eat a serving size every day (30 grams) of pecans. I buy them from costco and roast them in my oven with melted butter and salt. I also store them in the fridge to keep them fresh. I haven't noticed any issues with weight loss. One of my most favorite snacks is cottage cheese and pecans. So yummy! :)
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    2/3rds of a cup to a full cup of dry roasted nuts daily and I haven't stalled as a result.
  • ettaterrell
    edited January 2016
    Those that arnt stalling are the ones ur eating the already seasoned ones in a jar or can or is it a more fresh nut
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,428 Member
    Those that arnt stalling are the ones ur eating the already seasoned ones in a jar or can or is it a more fresh nut
    I buy just plain nuts and roast them myself in the oven with some butter and salt. It's yummy :)

• Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member

Planters right from the jar.