Any slower runners here?

angerelle
angerelle Posts: 175 Member
Hi,

Are there any slower runners here? I generally run between 10 and 10:30 min miles on my short runs and 11:00 to 11:30 on my longer ones. Last long distance race I ran was a half marathon in 2010 (2:20ish IIRC) and I'm training for the London Marathon at the end of April, longest run so far 8 miles. I'd love some similar running friends on MFP.

BTW, am I ok running on a deficit? I am currently on a 500 kCal deficit and eat back all the exercise calories that Fitbit gives me.

Cheers, Ange

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Hi Ange,

Welcome! There are runners in this group that run sub 3 hour marathons and runners that run 6 hour marathons. The nice thing is that nobody judges and everyone here just wants to help others by sharing their experiences. FWIW, 2:20 seems to be about the middle of the pack for most of the HMs I've done.

I think that running in a deficit is fine for now, but as you get into higher mileage, you may find it a bit challenging. And I personally would not recommend a deficit for at least 3-4 weeks before your race, but that's just my opinion. I need my fuel!

Hang around in this group during your training and you will learn alot. Definitely improved my running by leaps and bounds. Best of luck to you in London!!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,541 Member
    I'm just starting of, first mile run yesterday in 12 mins. I hope to improve eventually ;-)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2016
    my pace is about 12:30. on a good day. I'm slow
    but for a hm it tasks me 2:55:00
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    I agree with Lori that it can be a bit of a challenge to both run a deficit of calories and to train at the same time (I'm doing it, too. But 500 has been a bit of a challenge for me). I am 50 days out from my next marathon run and in the peak weekly training miles with the highest intensity levels. Previously, I had found it was "easier" to deal with the deficit, when there wasn't so much training involved.

I started out running marathons in the 5:00 to 5:15 range.. The last (uninjured) marathon I ran was 4:34:00. My short and long runs tend to be at the sort of paces that you are running. However, I am running more by heart rate (and let the pace be whatever it is) than by pace this time. I have come to two conclusions from this current approach. First, I probably wasn't running enough (distance). Second, when I was running, particularly the shorter distances, I was running too fast.

Welcome, and good luck. Fortunately, not everyone here is a speedburner. But I think it is safe to say that we all try to run the best race we can and still enjoy the running we are doing.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    I'm going to be happy if my first marathon is under 6hrs. I'm a slow turtle. lol
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    My halfs are normally like 2:40... My best 5k was 32
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 142 Member
    I've only run 1 half marathon and it was really slow 2:58. I would like to do another one day but want to get faster before I do. The winter has been tough because I don't like to run in the dark so my mileage has been very low.
  • angerelle
    Thanks everyone for being so welcoming and reassuring! I'm going to send off some friend requests :-)
  • angerelle
    I'm just starting of, first mile run yesterday in 12 mins. I hope to improve eventually ;-)

Well done! One of the many things I like about running is seeing yourself improve!
  • angerelle
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I think that running in a deficit is fine for now, but as you get into higher mileage, you may find it a bit challenging. And I personally would not recommend a deficit for at least 3-4 weeks before your race, but that's just my opinion. I need my fuel!

Thanks for the advice, I will play it by ear, I'm happy to go up to maintenance nearer the time, but I'm very glad to have lost the 30lbs I have though, running is definitely easier at this weight!
  • angerelle
    I'm going to be happy if my first marathon is under 6hrs. I'm a slow turtle. lol

My first and only other marathon was 5:51 in 2002 - I joke that I spent less time in labour with my two children added together than I did running the marathon!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Hello! I am another slow runner. My half PR is a 2:04 but that was many many moons ago. My most recent half was a 2:29 and I was so happy about it! LOL. How times have changed. I am in training for my next half on March 28th. This time I am really training so I hope to see improvement in my time.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Yes, also slow. My training runs tend to fall in the 9-11 range depending on distance and conditions. My half PR is 2:05 but I have other races that were closer to 2:30. No marathons for me.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    I am also slow.. depending on distance and which route I pick to run I run between 10-12 minute... I'm doing my first half on the 30th of this month.. then on to my training for my first full...
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    15 minmile slow in the ice today,including a few mins on the deck after a slip.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    FWIW, I lost about 1 to 1.5 pounds per week last year while training for my HM. I was able to keep this pace up until a couple weeks before the race when my runs got longer. Right after the race I was able to go back to losing for a few weeks until I was ready to run my second HM.

Losing while training can be done. Just listen to your body. If it wants more food you should feed it.

Good luck.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    I'm mad slow lol. I can run maybe 14:00/mi on a good day. Getting better, but still slow. My 1st half in November was a 3:10.
  • angerelle
    cw106 wrote: »
    15 minmile slow in the ice today,including a few mins on the deck after a slip.

Ouch! I'm paranoid about falling over and hurting myself at the moment, don't want to lose any weeks training!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    your wiser than me.
    all local races cancelled here due to ice.
    i am lying on the sofa with a swollen ankle,elbow and bruised arm.
    totally stupid of me.lesson learned,hopefully,.
  • angerelle
    Boo! Look after yourself and hope you recover quickly.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Add me to the slow group :) I'm between 10-12min/mile, depending on a LOT of factors. My halfs have been 2:28 and 2:35...my 5K PR is 31:28. I figure speed will come with experience...experience comes with increased milage. My goals generally include running most, if not all, of the race, finishing, and living to tell about it - LOL!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    I was told by one of my coaches yesterday that a new runner will improve consistently for the first 7 years no matter what age they are when they start. No idea how true this is but he has been running for almost as long as I've been alive so I figure he knows a few things. :smile:
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    I was passed three times by other runners out on my long run today. That was a little frustrating!
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    ME! Mostly because I am ridiculously inconsistent (run regularly for a month or two, then fall off the wagon and get out of shape). Right now I do about 10:30-11:30 min miles on most runs. This includes occasional walk breaks. I can go faster, just not for long. :smile:
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Hi all, I'm another slow runner... 12min miles... I'm just getting back out there after 3 months off injured. Gonna stick to 10k's for the first half of this year and then start training for my 3rd half... best half time 2.24. Always happy to have more running friends so add me if you wish. :)
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    I'm a slow runner...when I'm not injured. And lately, I'm always injured. :( Apparently I think that just because I'm slow recovery time doesn't exist. D'oh.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Compared to those crazy Kenyans we are all slow.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Most of my runs are around 7:30min/km (that's 12:04min per mile), so I consider everything below 7min/km (11:16min/mile) as a "fast run".

Last year, I miraculously managed a 5k in 29:04min. Much faster than I would have considered possible for myself - I guess my determination to keep trying 5k races until I reached the magic goal of a "sub30 5k" gave me an extra burst of speed during the race, if only so I wouldn't have to sign up for many more and get out of bed horribly early on all those Sundays...

For my first HM this year, I'd rather err on the side of conservatism, so I'h hoping to finish below 2:45h. Although honestly, I'll be happy about any time below 3h (which happens to be the cutoff time for the race...).
    Other people finish in half that or less, but at least I get twice the racing time for the same money :p
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Another slow runner.. Still faster than those sat on their settee so not bothered. Does make me laugh when people run past me at speed. I run 6.3 mph in gym for distances less than an hour but drops to 5.5 outside but it's the hills. ...
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    hyg99 wrote: »
    Another slow runner.. Still faster than those sat on their settee so not bothered. Does make me laugh when people run past me at speed. I run 6.3 mph in gym for distances less than an hour but drops to 5.5 outside but it's the hills. ...

Amen! I too run faster in the gym...and then head out my front door to a steep driveway and depending on what direction I go, it's just a steady incline (toward the base of a mountain)