Any slower runners here?

Replies

• moominpoo
    moominpoo Posts: 31 Member
    My pace is almost exactly the same as yours- I am on a mission to get quicker though!

I have a HM in March and would love to finish in 2hr 20 :smile:
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Yes Mountainrun, I live on the top of a hill, that last 1/2 mile always hurts..
    I haven't a single route that doesn't involve some big hills.
    We did a 10k recently and was running a nasty incline which for us is standard, a lot of runners stopped and walked and this bloke next to us said, "you can always tell who trains on hills" so I suppose its a bonus..
  • hyg99
    Me too Moominpoo, have HM in March. You do run quicker in "race" conditions, we did one last September and hope for 2:30 (and it a BIG hope) but we did in 2:15 (although I felt exhausted as much faster than our normal pace).
    Really hoping to get back up to speed I was then by March.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    i am a slower runner myself. currently getting back out there after taking a month off, and will start half marathon training next month. i've only been running for 4 yrs and slowly improving. add me if you like.

btw i usually eat more during training cuz i am always so dang hungry.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    hyg99 wrote: »
    Another slow runner.. Still faster than those sat on their settee so not bothered. Does make me laugh when people run past me at speed. I run 6.3 mph in gym for distances less than an hour but drops to 5.5 outside but it's the hills. ...
    Hills are just speedwork in disguise...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    We did a 10k recently and was running a nasty incline which for us is standard, a lot of runners stopped and walked and this bloke next to us said, "you can always tell who trains on hills" so I suppose its a bonus..

When I first started running I lived near the Thames and "didn't do hills" - since moving to Devon I've had to learn to love them! It's definitely made me a stronger runner - even though I'm 15 years older!
  • hyg99
    Angerelle
    Tried to accept your request but it came up as unknown error and cleared it off. For some reason i can't seem to invite from my kindle and the lap top is like gold dust in my house of teens (despite having 2!). Please can you re request?

Thanks
  • angerelle
    You're coming up as having accepted hyg99, so seems to have done it despite itself :-)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I'm pretty slow (15-12 min./mile) depending on the individual run, but I have completed a 10 miler and a half, so far.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    I'm a slow runner. Usually averaging about 12:45 a mile to 13:00 in my half-marathons. That puts me over the finish around 3 hours. I'm happy with it. The goal is to finish and if I can improve my time by a tenth of a second I'm super happy. :smiley: I ran the Houston Aramco half-marathon this past weekend. The amazing thing is that due to the number of participants I didn't even cross the start line until 30 minutes after the gun went off.... and the winner cross the finish line when I was only about 3 miles into the race! lol Now that really makes you feel slow! lol (the winner of the women's half-marathon because of their time and course record walked away with about $45,000 prize money!)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Compared to those crazy Kenyans we are all slow.
    Definitely slower than the Kenyans or any World Class Professional/Amateur Athlete but in my local Running community I am just a little faster than the Avg Slogger. 23rd out of 110 in my last 10K Race - 2nd in my AG. Won't be that high this year as 6 Speed Demons have moved into my AG. Ultimately it's not about how fast you are compared to everyone else - Did you Have Fun? That is the greatest Motivator for me.
    Another slow runner.. Still faster than those sat on their settee so not bothered. Does make me laugh when people run past me at speed. I run 6.3 mph in gym for distances less than an hour but drops to 5.5 outside but it's the hills. ...
    Amen! I too run faster in the gym...and then head out my front door to a steep driveway and depending on what direction I go, it's just a steady incline (toward the base of a mountain)

I am exactly the opposite, I find the Gym ( track or dreadmill) to be slower than being outside on the trails - especially the Bush/Dirt/Gravel trails. I just enjoy the Fresh Air and scenery so I get lost ( complete mental relaxation ) in my runs.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I am exactly the opposite, I find the Gym ( track or dreadmill) to be slower than being outside on the trails - especially the Bush/Dirt/Gravel trails. I just enjoy the Fresh Air and scenery so I get lost ( complete mental relaxation ) in my runs.

I agree, I find every minute in the dreadmill to be a slog, but the same pace feels easier outdoors and I can run much faster.

I'm pretty slow too, and trying to stay that way and focus on building distance not speed - I seem to get injured a lot when I run fast too often. I need to make sure I've got that foundation again before I speed train.
    Another slow runner.. Still faster than those sat on their settee so not bothered.

Amen!

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    I'm not a fan of treadmill running but have to admit that when it's 100 degrees outside with 90% humidity those treadmills in air conditioned rooms with a built-in fan blowing on you are ahhhhmazing. :smiley:
  • hyg99
    I prefer outside too, so much more relaxing.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Just seeing this now. Another slow runner. I started C25K in May 2013, ran my first (and only) HM in June of 2014, got injured training for a full marathon I was supposed to run in June 2015, and am now rebuilding mileage to run that same marathon in June 2016. My HM time was 2:36, which was faster than I expected (wanted to finish under 3 hours & my "I'd be giddy with it" goal) was 2:45. Between the time off from running because of my injury & the fact that it's winter here (Yaktrax are my friend), I'm currently extra slow.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of treadmill running but have to admit that when it's 100 degrees outside with 90% humidity those treadmills in air conditioned rooms with a built-in fan blowing on you are ahhhhmazing. :smiley:

I agree! I don't mind running in the cold and snow, but heat. UGH!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Just saw this thread. Welcome!
    moominpoo wrote: »
    My pace is almost exactly the same as yours- I am on a mission to get quicker though!

I have a HM in March and would love to finish in 2hr 20 :smile:

My training pace is pretty much the same as the OP too, and that translated into a 2:04 HM (when properly trained), so I think you have good reason to be optimistic.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Hello! I ran my second half in November 2015, with a PR of 2:29. I never thought I'd finish those last 3 miles. They were killer. Back in the summer I was running 10:30-11s, and somehow I've sped up slightly so now I'm in the 9:45-10:15 range. But I slacked off running after my half because of a hurt foot and am just now starting to run again. And watch calories. I realized when you aren't training for anything or running a lot...you definitely can't eat the same. Gained back several pounds in the last few months.

I also use Runkeeper to track my runs! If anyone wants to be RK friends/encouragers, send me a PM!

It took me 4 years and a lot of feeling inferior, but no matter what I run or how fast or how slow or how far, I am definitely a runner. :)
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Other people finish in half that or less, but at least I get twice the racing time for the same money :p

This is everything :)
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    I just did my longest run yet on Sunday (20 miles). It took me 5hrs 2min. I'm worried its going to take me too long to do the marathon in 3 weeks. What happens if you're really really slow? Do you still get a medal usually?
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2016
    @nicolejo143
    There are some races where they actually have sweepers to collect people after a cutoff time, when the course has to be opened to traffic again. But from your profile page I guess your marathon in 3 weeks is the LA marathon?
    On the race website they say that they
    "The 2016 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon has a maximum net race day finish time of six hours and 30 minutes (6:30:59 from the time the last runner crosses the start line). The Marathon course will reopen for public use on a rolling schedule based on this time limit. Participants that fall behind this pace will be directed to the sidewalk and allowed to finish the race, but will not be guaranteed a finishing time."
    But on another website I have read this:
    "The LA Marathon will keep a timing mat, medal volunteers and food in a late finishers’ area"
    ( https://www.laleggers.org/la-marathon-course-will-close-in-6-5-hours/ ), so even if you take longer than that, you should be fine - and from the time of your 20 miles long run, I'm guessing you won't be that much longer, if at all.
  • angerelle
    I just did my longest run yet on Sunday (20 miles). It took me 5hrs 2min. I'm worried its going to take me too long to do the marathon in 3 weeks. What happens if you're really really slow? Do you still get a medal usually?

When I ran the London Marathon (admittedly it was in 2002!) I came in at 5:51, I wasn't last(!) and I still got a medal and a goodie bag.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Me! Im around a 12mm for halfs. Hoping to drop from 2:38 this past nov to 2:20 this may.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    I haven't run my half yet, but I'm in training I'm doing 10-12 mile long runs at 5-5.2 mph. So very, very slow. I don't think I'll ever have the stamina for a full marathon, but who knows? :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,871 Member
    I'm slow! For nearly a year I could not get much over 8:15min/km (13:17min/m) and was usually at around 8:24 min/km, but all of a sudden I can run around 7:30min/km. Still very slow but I don't care.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    @nicolejo143
    There are some races where they actually have sweepers to collect people after a cutoff time, when the course has to be opened to traffic again. But from your profile page I guess your marathon in 3 weeks is the LA marathon?
    On the race website they say that they
    "The 2016 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon has a maximum net race day finish time of six hours and 30 minutes (6:30:59 from the time the last runner crosses the start line). The Marathon course will reopen for public use on a rolling schedule based on this time limit. Participants that fall behind this pace will be directed to the sidewalk and allowed to finish the race, but will not be guaranteed a finishing time."
    But on another website I have read this:
    "The LA Marathon will keep a timing mat, medal volunteers and food in a late finishers’ area"
    ( https://www.laleggers.org/la-marathon-course-will-close-in-6-5-hours/ ), so even if you take longer than that, you should be fine - and from the time of your 20 miles long run, I'm guessing you won't be that much longer, if at all.

Yeah, its the LA Marathon. I hope I make it before then or I would feel kinda bad. I was worried about making the time limit for the half marathon I ran too and I ended up finishing over an hour faster than I thought I could. Hopefully for the marathon it's the same thing. I just got sick though but hopefully I'm better by next weekend.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Good luck at the weekend nicole143.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 131 Member
    I'm also training for my first marathon! Mine is in June and right now I'm running at about a 10-11 minute mile. I'm hoping to be able to pick up the pace but even if it's slow, 26.2 is an accomplishment!!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    10-11min miles for a marathon is great going. 10:30 equates to a 4hr 35min marathon. The median marathon time for a woman in the US is 4hr 44.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    10-11min miles for a marathon is great going. 10:30 equates to a 4hr 35min marathon. The median marathon time for a woman in the US is 4hr 44.

Interesting