Any slower runners here?

Options

Replies

• rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Add me to the slow group :) I'm between 10-12min/mile, depending on a LOT of factors. My halfs have been 2:28 and 2:35...my 5K PR is 31:28. I figure speed will come with experience...experience comes with increased milage. My goals generally include running most, if not all, of the race, finishing, and living to tell about it - LOL!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I was told by one of my coaches yesterday that a new runner will improve consistently for the first 7 years no matter what age they are when they start. No idea how true this is but he has been running for almost as long as I've been alive so I figure he knows a few things. :smile:
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I was passed three times by other runners out on my long run today. That was a little frustrating!
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ME! Mostly because I am ridiculously inconsistent (run regularly for a month or two, then fall off the wagon and get out of shape). Right now I do about 10:30-11:30 min miles on most runs. This includes occasional walk breaks. I can go faster, just not for long. :smile:
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm another slow runner... 12min miles... I'm just getting back out there after 3 months off injured. Gonna stick to 10k's for the first half of this year and then start training for my 3rd half... best half time 2.24. Always happy to have more running friends so add me if you wish. :)
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner...when I'm not injured. And lately, I'm always injured. :( Apparently I think that just because I'm slow recovery time doesn't exist. D'oh.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Compared to those crazy Kenyans we are all slow.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Most of my runs are around 7:30min/km (that's 12:04min per mile), so I consider everything below 7min/km (11:16min/mile) as a "fast run".

Last year, I miraculously managed a 5k in 29:04min. Much faster than I would have considered possible for myself - I guess my determination to keep trying 5k races until I reached the magic goal of a "sub30 5k" gave me an extra burst of speed during the race, if only so I wouldn't have to sign up for many more and get out of bed horribly early on all those Sundays...

For my first HM this year, I'd rather err on the side of conservatism, so I'h hoping to finish below 2:45h. Although honestly, I'll be happy about any time below 3h (which happens to be the cutoff time for the race...).
    Other people finish in half that or less, but at least I get twice the racing time for the same money :p
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Another slow runner.. Still faster than those sat on their settee so not bothered. Does make me laugh when people run past me at speed. I run 6.3 mph in gym for distances less than an hour but drops to 5.5 outside but it's the hills. ...
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    hyg99 wrote: »
    Another slow runner.. Still faster than those sat on their settee so not bothered. Does make me laugh when people run past me at speed. I run 6.3 mph in gym for distances less than an hour but drops to 5.5 outside but it's the hills. ...

Amen! I too run faster in the gym...and then head out my front door to a steep driveway and depending on what direction I go, it's just a steady incline (toward the base of a mountain)

• moominpoo
    moominpoo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My pace is almost exactly the same as yours- I am on a mission to get quicker though!

I have a HM in March and would love to finish in 2hr 20 :smile:
  • hyg99
    Options
    Yes Mountainrun, I live on the top of a hill, that last 1/2 mile always hurts..
    I haven't a single route that doesn't involve some big hills.
    We did a 10k recently and was running a nasty incline which for us is standard, a lot of runners stopped and walked and this bloke next to us said, "you can always tell who trains on hills" so I suppose its a bonus..
  • hyg99
    Options
    Me too Moominpoo, have HM in March. You do run quicker in "race" conditions, we did one last September and hope for 2:30 (and it a BIG hope) but we did in 2:15 (although I felt exhausted as much faster than our normal pace).
    Really hoping to get back up to speed I was then by March.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i am a slower runner myself. currently getting back out there after taking a month off, and will start half marathon training next month. i've only been running for 4 yrs and slowly improving. add me if you like.

btw i usually eat more during training cuz i am always so dang hungry.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hills are just speedwork in disguise...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    We did a 10k recently and was running a nasty incline which for us is standard, a lot of runners stopped and walked and this bloke next to us said, "you can always tell who trains on hills" so I suppose its a bonus..

When I first started running I lived near the Thames and "didn't do hills" - since moving to Devon I've had to learn to love them! It's definitely made me a stronger runner - even though I'm 15 years older!
  • hyg99
    Options
    Angerelle
    Tried to accept your request but it came up as unknown error and cleared it off. For some reason i can't seem to invite from my kindle and the lap top is like gold dust in my house of teens (despite having 2!). Please can you re request?

Thanks
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You're coming up as having accepted hyg99, so seems to have done it despite itself :-)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty slow (15-12 min./mile) depending on the individual run, but I have completed a 10 miler and a half, so far.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner. Usually averaging about 12:45 a mile to 13:00 in my half-marathons. That puts me over the finish around 3 hours. I'm happy with it. The goal is to finish and if I can improve my time by a tenth of a second I'm super happy. :smiley: I ran the Houston Aramco half-marathon this past weekend. The amazing thing is that due to the number of participants I didn't even cross the start line until 30 minutes after the gun went off.... and the winner cross the finish line when I was only about 3 miles into the race! lol Now that really makes you feel slow! lol (the winner of the women's half-marathon because of their time and course record walked away with about $45,000 prize money!)