After finding my TDEE, I'm considering a slow cut - thoughts/feedback?

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Happy to report that after almost 2 weeks of sticking to my calories and macros I'm showing some weight loss (hopefully not any significant muscle loss). I'm down about 1-3 lbs (depending on trending/moving avg or recorded weight) over those 2 weeks.

I changed up my program a bit too - still strength focused. I'll update in a week or so once I've checked my measurements. Thanks to everyone for their input...I'm guessing my estimates on snacking wasn't really a good estimate! I good reminder to weigh everything if you're stalled.

Good reminder, unless your snacks are consistent and known, gotta get them accurate.

I'm sure you have no concerns about muscle loss, you got a good program going.
  • molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    molnardrea wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    During deficit training the higher volume is better, easier to recover from.

But, to maintain the strength if it was longer than 3-4 weeks, you'd need to reduce frequency/duration and keep intensity or weight on the bar.

The difference between just using the muscle to have no issues keeping it, and keeping the muscles at the same strength level.

I'm mostly physique oriented not strength, so I'm fine with some strength loss. It will come back as I increase my calories up again and keep adding back the weight on the bar, right?

I'd also like to push my calories further once I'm done with this reverse. I'd like to try and add 10 g of carbs and 1 g fat each week and grow my metabolic capacity. Is it really possible for my body to adjust slowly for using more calories without storing it as fat?

Totally missed this.

Studies have shown the body will speed up metabolism and daily burn if you eat in surplus - for a short period of time. But then the excess is getting stored as fat.
    Body tries to be efficient, so it doesn't invent processes to burn calories that aren't needed.

Usually what does happen though with someone with a good workout program - that becomes better and burns more during and for recovery - so TDEE actually does increase.
    But all things kept equal - no.

Keep adding enough fat though and moving it around and of course at some point if eating level hasn't increased - you've made your TDEE match your eating level.
    If good strong progressive lifting routine, can add muscle too with the fat. Hence bulking.

Thanks heybale! :) Totally understandable. Our bodies are a lot more clever than us. Yeah.. why would it increase the calories it needs, seems stupid if we think and accept that the body is an effective machine. It won't increase it's fuel requirements :P
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Happy to report that I'm down another 2 lbs since Apr 7th!

Keeping my calories at 1700/day with a few planned days that were around 1850-1900. Looking forward to seeing how the next few weeks go but my measurements are starting to move in the right direction too!
  • heybales
    Options
    Always good - especially when some numbers go down and not just stress and aggravation up.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome on your cut! Are those measurements going down too?

I'm making myself take a scale break- it's discouraging. And I know it takes weeks to see a change (especially in my slow moving self) so I don't want to quit based on the number on the scale.

I notice that having a higher calorie day planned helps me when I want to stuff my face with junk food. :) aka today. Nachoes coming Sunday I just keep telling myself!

Anyways, you are doing fantastic!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Thanks @heybales and @saranharm :smiley: I've kind of stalled the last few days but I'm still feeling positive about my results so far and I'm feeling a bit leaner as well. @saranharm - I fully get some days are planned higher calorie days! I plan on eating closer to maintenance and not worrying about my macros as much starting next weekend (my birthday is on Apr 29) since I have some friends coming in from out of town to stay with us for a week - I plan to eat some extra yummy foods!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Official weigh-in on Sunday morning this weekend - I'm down 5 lbs in the last 30 days. My measurements are down too. I'm a bit concerned that I'm losing too quickly as I want to ensure that I don't lose too much muscle mass.

I'm currently eating 1700 cal/day. Based on my weight loss, my maintenance calories is around 2280 cal/day.

Should I increase my calories to prevent muscle mass loss? I would love some feedback if you can :blush:
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Heybales told me you can do a bigger deficit and keep muscle if you ensure you are eating enough protein and still do your lifting. Are your lifts suffering?
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'd eat more! Not much more, just so you average 1 pound per week. The reason? because you can eat more lol. Why not? Good job on the loss though.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ditto's to deficit while lifting can be bigger compared to doing just cardio. But it feels much worse usually, unless cardio is endurance level time/intensity.

And indeed great way is looking at lifts. If you can't maintain the same weight for the same sets/reps/rests - then muscle is suffering.
    Recovery should be longer, so your frequency per week may drop but that's not the same issue.

500 deficit there is almost 20% - which is appropriate for 50-60 lbs or more to lose.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!! Realistically, I have about 10-15 lbs to lose max. My lifts don't seem to be affected at all especially since I have re-arranged my meals so that I have a carb/protein before going to the gym after work. That's helped me have more energy for my workout.

I should re-do my calculator from @heybales to see what my new calorie goal should be but ultimately I'd like to be at a 10-15% cut, not 20%. I am getting 130-150g of protein per day which is more than the 0.8g/day recommendation (currently 156.6 lbs).

Would you agree that I should up my calorie goal to 1850 for the next few days, have a refeed week starting Friday (my 34th birthday :D ) at maintenance - 2250 calories and then look to eat 1900-2025/day afterwards (10-15% cut) and continue with my workouts as planned - currently 5x week.

Thank you all for your input and I will update again.
  • heybales
    Options
    Sounds like a better revised plan with only 10-15 to go.

Or go for the 500 deficit, but alternate weeks of diet with maintenance, average 250 that way.

Or go for the 500 deficit the 24 hrs prior to lifting, maintenance the 24 hrs post lifting. Which may not follow a day. Unless lifting is almost every day.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Thanks @heybales - I appreciate your feedback and will consider calorie cycling. I'm currently listing weights Mon-Fri with rest days on weekends so I may eat more during the week and less on the weekend too. I will have some fun with it
  • heybales
    Options
    Ya, there's a lot of ways to skin a cat. Which doesn't taste good either..... from what I've been told.

And a lot of better phrases to use too! ;-)
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Just lurking around. This is certainly a very intriguing and exciting concept. But I have one BIG question that I just can't seem to shake as I read through article after article. I keep reading that we've been told wrong and should eat way more. My question is for those who have never dieted but is overweight, is it that they were just eating over TDEE the reason they gained weight in the first place. Is it that simple?
  • heybales
    Options
    Eating more than you burn, on average - is how you gain fat weight. Yes, that simple.

Unless you are doing a progressive weight lifting routine - then some will be muscle.

But come out of winter, and most people seem to have their winter fat to lose. Why?

Their activity level goes down, and usually people eat the same - if not more because of the average holiday stuff going on.

Interesting stats I saw once comparing northern to southern hemisphere - more weight gained in northern over winter. How many holidays during the winter down south.

Also, just to be clear - the advice is to eat more than bare minimum - which is usually where most diets start - with no bearing on the individual person and their activity level.

Ever seen how many diets (MFP included) start at 1200 for women?
    Ever wondered why that was the starting point for such a variety of women and possible activity levels?
    Because it's easy to recommend not having to learn about the individual, and at least for awhile will cause some results on the scale to almost everyone. What it does 30 years down the road isn't taken into account.

But talk the to over 50 crowd sick of wasting their life away on yo-yo diets and a bad relationship with food and their bodies.
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response heybales. Very helpful.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    A quick update - I had a maintenance/planned week off last week when I had friends in town which meant more eating out (so they could eat yummy off-island food).

I was able to get to the gym once for a great upper body workout and then went on 2 hikes (1 pretty steep up a mountain for 45 min, then 35 min down; 1 hike was for about an hour with less steep sections) and I ate pretty freely at a bit above maintenance. I was eating out more so it was tough to be sure of my exact intake. In those 7 days, I gained 1.4 lbs. Which to be honest is probably mostly water weight - the next few days will tell if it starts to drop off.

I'm so thankful to have been shown this way of eating/lifestyle so that I can truly eat and enjoy my workouts too. I may not be where I'd like to be but I'm on the right path and most importantly I know its a lifestyle that I can maintain when I get there.

Had to share - hope you all are having an awesome day!!
  • heybales
    Options
    Especially weeks like that where you might otherwise feel guilty that you are ruining the time because you refuse to let up on super restrictive diet.
    Or you feel guilty because you did and saw the results afterwards, then depressed over the ruining of all your efforts.

But now - just a blip, you know what it is, can easily get back on track, no extra stress needed.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks heybales. You make good points.