Carbs kinda creep me out

Options
ki4eld
ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
Not in general, but when I eat and log them in my diary.

Long story short... I did 15.75 mile run/walk on Monday (usual is 6mi), but my dietitian and insurance company monitor (Nazi) freaked out. My cals and carbs were already lower than they'd like, so the extra 10-ish miles pretty much sent everyone into the stratosphere of crazy. I'm supposed to have "slightly above normal" carbs for the next few days to get everyone's panties untwisted. However, logging 50g+ of carbs each day is freaking me the F out. I know 72g net isn't huge and with my malabsorption, I'm still in ketosis, but seeing a number so high just freaks me out.

I can't wait to get back to normal. I hope your week was uneventful and your weekend is awesome.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This reminds me of the time my brother in law was peeling an orange and asked me nephew who was 4 at the time, if he wanted a piece of the orange. My nephew shook his head and put his hand up and said "no that orange is kinda freakin me out"

I hope things go ok for you, don't stress about it. Sounds like you'll still be fine. Why does your insurance person monitor your food?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Damn, you're having your MFP diary audited by your insurance? Dang, that's definitely Orwellian! Reminds me of that scene in the movie The Island, where based on that morning's urinalysis, Ewan can't eat bacon for breakfast. :(
    http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/the-island/a-little-bacon
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm sorry. I feel a little sick just thinking about being monitoring like that. I sure hope they provide you with a good incentive to do that. Not to be a bad influence or anything, but have you thought about keeping a second set of books? :wink:
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I. Would. Die. And so would they when I went into a blind fit of rage/anxiety attack at being judged that way. And I have enough medical problems that my doc reviews my diary every 2 weeks via screenshare. Any chance you can flip them the bird about it on account of your anxiety from it? That doesn't sound healthy.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That is intrusive! Interesting.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    15.75 miles? That's quite a trek! Congrats!

Burn those carbs. :)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »

Long story short... I did 15.75 mile run/walk on Monday (usual is 6mi), but my dietitian and insurance company monitor (Nazi) freaked out. My cals and carbs were already lower than they'd like, so the extra 10-ish miles pretty much sent everyone into the stratosphere of crazy. I'm supposed to have "slightly above normal" carbs for the next few days to get everyone's panties untwisted. However, logging 50g+ of carbs each day is freaking me the F out. I know 72g net isn't huge and with my malabsorption, I'm still in ketosis, but seeing a number so high just freaks me out.

I can't wait to get back to normal. I hope your week was uneventful and your weekend is awesome.

Lie.
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not to be a bad influence, but as someone else suggested, I'd make a separate account and use the "monitored" account to make things look "good" to them. WTF is that anyway!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wow. They really put you in a weird spot... I can't imagine how frustrating that would be.

Excellent job on the run though! That's over half of a marathon. Darn impressive!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »

Welcome to the new world of healthcare. If they send a drone to check on you and you shoot out of the air you can go to prison I read last week. 1984 was a little late arriving but will make it by 2020. It is serious but I am not sure if there is a will to stop it. It may stop the need of some of the "hold me accountable" threads.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I am I reading your diary for Monday correctly? Did you burn 2,951 calories through exercise and only ate 699 calories? Not judging, but I would have been an exhausted, ravenous mess.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »

Welcome to the new world of healthcare. If they send a drone to check on you and you shoot out of the air you can go to prison I read last week. 1984 was a little late arriving but will make it by 2020. It is serious but I am not sure if there is a will to stop it. It may stop the need of some of the "hold me accountable" threads.

Makes me glad I live so close to the airport. No fly zone for the win. :D
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Ha!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    What's the "long story long"? I have so many questions from your OP! Why the monitoring? Who are these people? Why so many more miles than your usual? What malabsorption issues?
  • Kahelnet
    Kahelnet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    What's the "long story long"? I have so many questions from your OP! Why the monitoring? Who are these people? Why so many more miles than your usual? What malabsorption issues?

This!
    And also why your insurance review your diary?
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    WtF.. same query here as @macchiatto and @Kahelnet. Double books sounds attractive.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @ki4eld had WLS.
    Weight loss surgery can often cause malabsorption.
    I'm guessing the monitoring is part of the post-op process.

Those who have had a gastric bypass are often medically prescribed very low calorie diets.

ki4eld wrote: »

Lie.

Well, I guess you could "lie."
    Their invasiveness is grating for sure. But the real issue is that carbs are creeping her out. It's just food. It's temporary. I know the feeling that eating all those carbs have just blown all the good work you've done and you are suddenly going to be fat again. I havev those freak-outs for a short bit when I screw up. But that isn't going to happen. I have nightmares sometimes that I'm 252lb again. I have carb-mares where I'm eating some delicious sugary goodness, size extra-large, and then suddenly realize it and start freaking out over how I've just kicked myself out of ketosis and ruined weeks worth of work. I wake up stressed as hell. But I go look in the mirror, and I'm still me and it's all fine. It's too easy to get too worked-up over carbs. What you put in your mouth is supposed to be the only one thing you can truly control. Except that isn't true because LIFE can always stick its hand in there. Like the time my BIL stuck a bunch of carbs in his sausage balls and I didn't know and got kicked out of ketosis. Life happens. It isn't the end of the world. I just have to keep telling myself that. :wink:

It's just food. You're eating low-carb legit stuff, I'm guessing. It's just a few days. It will be ok. @ki4eld, you've got this. YOU are still in control, and you don't need to worry about those carbs. It's only food. It will be processed and out soon. And the whole mess will be over before you blink and your new normal will no longer be disrupted. Breathe.

Congrats on the kicking *kitten* on Monday! NSV! You have really come so far! Hold that head up, give them their dumb ol' carbs, and then happily ignore them as soon as you can.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It's just food. You're eating low-carb legit stuff, I'm guessing. It's just a few days. It will be ok. @ki4eld, you've got this. YOU are still in control, and you don't need to worry about those carbs. It's only food. It will be processed and out soon. And the whole mess will be over before you blink and your new normal will no longer be disrupted. Breathe.

Congrats on the kicking *kitten* on Monday! NSV! You have really come so far! Hold that head up, give them their dumb ol' carbs, and then happily ignore them as soon as you can.

This!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    @ki4eld had WLS.
    Weight loss surgery can often cause malabsorption.
    I'm guessing the monitoring is part of the post-op process.

Those who have had a gastric bypass are often medically prescribed very low calorie diets.

Nailed it.

Long story long:

I had gastric bypass last January. Part of the post-op and part of the agreement by the insurance company to fork out about 500k over 5 years is that I agree to diet monitoring, so it's not like I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I don't mind the monitoring as much as I mind having to do the carb cycles. I'm happy at 20-30g, so why fix what ain't broke? Why? Because they're still the boss of me for another 4 years, that's why. I'm doing ok. Even after the higher carbs, I'm still in ketosis, although it's light. I can go back to a somewhat normal carb load Monday.

"Lie." I'd love to, but that won't help me be honest with myself, as I have some lingering "lying to myself about food" issues that I can't encourage. Also, if I have any health issues, I can't rule out food issues if I didn't log accurately. After WLS, many problems are food-related, so I can't really afford to lie about it. Lastly, if the insurance company finds out, they can decide not to cover any further follow-up care ever again.

"Why so many more miles?" To prove to myself I could do it. I've been hitting a 22k steps a day wall for over a month. Last Monday, time, circumstances, health, and work allowed for me to push through the wall. So I made it to 35k. It was also the day before my one-year WLS anniversary. One year earlier, I weighed 286lbs and couldn't walk 100 yards without almost passing out. It was a personal challenge; there was no one chasing me. ;)

RNY gastric bypass causes malabsorption. It's essentially a doctor-induced, doctor-monitored starvation diet. 700 cals is low for me now, although that was my common calorie goal most of last year. In my defense, I spent most of the day moving! 1100 cals is my daily goal now and I exceed that most days of the week. Over the week, the deficit doesn't look too bad. Yes, you read it right. I often burn twice what I intake. The only reason my calories from exercise are added back is so I can see my new protein goal. But my calories are slowly increasing and my exercise isn't, so my deficit is shrinking to something towards normal. It'll be a normal 500 cal per day deficit in another 8-10 months.

Oh, and I regularly tell the Nazis to go F themselves in my food notes. I do that less often now than I did last year, but I still do it occasionally. Yelling at the computer monitor is pretty good stress relief. And if I need more, I go for a walk. Ha! Keto works for me. No hunger, almost no food cravings, very little food anxiety. I've found what works and the Nazis are mucking it up. But yes, I'll get over it. It's a few days and I'll be back where I want to be. My OCD doesn't like the blips on my graphs, but I'll tell my OCD to go F itself too.

If you have time to waste, I've detailed this whole business in a blog. http://2poufs.blogspot.com/ Start from the oldest posts and read forward. Probably will answer some more questions, but I'm happy to answer them here too, if the mods don't mind the hijacking.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for sharing all this. You are truly inspirational @ki4eld !