Carbs kinda creep me out

Options

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @ki4eld Awesome! Little wonder you have carb phobia. What a motivating journey. Showing determination! I get cranky with myself on days where I mismanage food and eat too little, leading to susden onset monster hungry attack, where carbs become attractive. I can imagine that feeling is much worse if my diary was being micro managed and the doctor had a different idea of balanced. What you are doing is clearly working. Good luck and thanks for being inspiring.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Every insurance company is different, I know, but geez, bless your heart for having to jump through their hoops! I'm sure they have paid people to figure out ways to prevent possible complications through strict adherence to their policies (read, what saves them money). I can appreciate that they ARE watching out for you too! Thanks for the explanation on that!

My insurance company didn't have any requirements like that, but I didn't have many pre op requirements either, besides what the surgeon requires. As long as you meet criteria, you're covered.

My worries were that this is what all medical insurances were coming to and we would all have to do this too! So glad that's not the case!

Btw, you are ROCKIN it @ki4eld!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Wow, thank you so much for sharing all this. You are truly inspirational @ki4eld !

Ditto this! Respect @ki4eld :heart:
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on an amazing success over the last year @ki4eld you are truly an inspiration to us all. And thank you for sharing your journey on your blog. It serves as a great motivation to others, like myself, who also face a long journey. Sounds like you have a great support team in place.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your story!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I read your blog! You, my dear, are a true inspiration to people who go the WLS (weight loss surgery) route, and also for those seeking conventional means to weight loss!! You're accomplishments have been astounding and I look forward to seeing you reach your goal weight, as well as the many NSVs to come!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @ki4eld did you change your name
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

Yes, I was 2poufs until I decided I could stop calling myself "poufy".
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »

:) that totally makes sense. Congrats on your success!
  • pedroepaz
    pedroepaz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Karlottap wrote: »
    That is intrusive! Interesting.

Welcome to the new world of healthcare. If they send a drone to check on you and you shoot out of the air you can go to prison I read last week. 1984 was a little late arriving but will make it by 2020. It is serious but I am not sure if there is a will to stop it. It may stop the need of some of the "hold me accountable" threads.

Makes me glad I live so close to the airport. No fly zone for the win. :D

What a save! I'm so moving next to an airport ASAP! Seriously though, I read 1984 for the second time about a year ago, and boy are things going downhill. I can't believe they monitor people like that. Just like it being mandatory to share social media information to get hired for a new job. Unreal!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »

I know you!

Hi stranger
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Makes me glad I live so close to the airport. No fly zone for the win. :D

Bingo, I live on a military base and between the military base airport and the local airport. Other than the occasional aircraft coming in a bit low, it's not bad at all. I don't wake up from it anymore, artillery fire either.

OP, that is a huge step, but all the same, I'd tell my insurance company to go f itself before I'd agree to that. That being said, I'm a pretty private person IRL and tend to much prefer not to have anyone in my business. I guess it could be worse, if you had my medical insurance, where they flat out don't care about you at all. It took me 3 months and tons of calls to get my child into speech therapy because they kept goofing up the referral. Nightmare. Then we get "doctors" who aren't even doctors for our medical check ups and they see so many people a day it's unreal - even have had them give me scripts that directly conflicted with each other.

I guess there's a good and a bad about it.

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    WOW! Read your blog and your journey really is inspirational.

And more so for not taking my advice to 'lie'! You are right. On a journey like yours, honesty reinforces the strength which you obviously have so much of!

I hope the monitoring gets easier as you go. You sound as if you know that this stretch will pass. But venting is good for you.

Well done on the anniversary celebration!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I wish my mother's insurance would've monitored get like that after. It's intrusive, but I feel she would've had better success if the follow up were more of a requirement.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    As a WLS patient I can see the benefits. It's not like they are delving into your private life, they are using this to help you succeed. I don't care for their way of making you increase carbs, but at least it's not higher! It did sound 1984 ish at first, and with the way things are headed..... Glad that's not the case, :smiley:
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Also, carbs creep me out too! Plus, I feel as if I'm cheating at 30, lol!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I hate insurance! I'm still waiting for approval for meds I tried to fill in October!!! Every year I have to have my doctor fill out a form that says that I still have ADHD and still require meds. Every year, my insurance company "has never received anything from the doctor". Eventually I have to go to the doctor, get the form myself and have my husband hand deliver it to the right department. HE WORKS AT THE INSURANCE COMPANY!!! My sister in law who also works there and also has ADHD, has the same thing happen to her every single time she is up for "pre authorization". I have to do this to prove that I still need the medication, as if there is some magical cute... (Keto? maybe :wink: ) And I had to actually get re-diagnosed two years in a row to prove that I actually had it. The first year they accepted my GP's diagnosis with supporting screening paperwork. The second year I actually had to find an actual psychologist to re-diagnose me. He was kind of awesome though. We just sat there and BS'd about crappy insurance regulations and about 20 other subjects for the hour I paid for and in the end when I asked if I still had ADHD, he said "Have you ever heard anyone refer to ADHD as Squirrell Syndrome"? I said "no, but I love squirrels!!!! They're my favorite animal!!!" True story
    Anyway, I really hate insurance companies. I'm also waiting for my T1D daughters blood glucose test strips to be approved, again... Another annual pre-authorization to prove that she still needs them. Yeah, I guess they think she could've been cured.
  • Kahelnet
    Kahelnet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    about crappy insurance regulations and about 20 other subjects for the hour
    It sounds exactly like ADHD :-D
    I'm so glad we don't actually need insurance to pay for this type of meds in here.

OP, now I feel really sorry for being suspicious obout your story. Wish you a lot of luck and willpower in your journey!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I wish my mother's insurance would've monitored get like that after. It's intrusive, but I feel she would've had better success if the follow up were more of a requirement.

It's good and bad. In the end, it's good. Knowing that someone is watching... well, it's like being a little kid again and Mom is watching. I was better behaved back then. :wink:
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Insurance company spanking as motivation

Ha

At first I thought their measures seemed extreme but it has benefited you. I guess it works. You have undeniable results!

It would be a bit humbling to admit being watched made it work. But I get it. I share my results with my daughter. It is one of those things where hearing her say I want my daddy around for a long time is a motivator for me.