New things you've discovered recently

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I've seen a similar thread to this on other forums with lots of cool stuff.

Today I discovered that I raw a raw milk dairy farm only 20 minutes from me. I was at the health food store and got a bottle of cream to try, it's not raw, you can only get that at the farm, along with some other great sounding stuff, gonna have to take a road trip for some chevre and feta :)
http://www.teacupfarm.com/products/

Replies

• zyxy55
    zyxy55 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Coconut vinegar! It is a great source of minerals such as potassium and magnesium. I'm so excited because because I prefer to get my nutrients from foods over supplements.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/262961-what-are-the-benefits-of-coconut-vinegar/
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Oh that's cool I've never heard of it
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    zyxy55 wrote: »
    Coconut vinegar! It is a great source of minerals such as potassium and magnesium. I'm so excited because because I prefer to get my nutrients from foods over supplements.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/262961-what-are-the-benefits-of-coconut-vinegar/

Interesting! New to me too!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but I learned today that Dr Dominic D'Agostino who is a medical researcher in the field of the effects of ketones on the brain believes that Quest powder MCT oil or Asprey's Brain Octain are the most Ketogenic as far as all the forms of coconut oil go. He personally uses the quest powdered form because he said its easy to travel with and can be mixed with anything.
    I already believed in the ketone boosting power of MCT specifically, and that they are not all created equal, but it was interesting to learn what he thought was the most ketone boosting.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @Sunny_Bunny_ I've been looking to get some mct oil, I use coconut oil but I've heard of others having better results with mct, so I really want to try that out
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @Sunny_Bunny_ I've been looking to get some mct oil, I use coconut oil but I've heard of others having better results with mct, so I really want to try that out

No problem. I've been using Carrington Farms and it's cheaper than those two I mentioned and I do feel like I've noticed a difference. But apparently I could still be doing better.
  • auntstephie321
    Options

No problem. I've been using Carrington Farms and it's cheaper than those two I mentioned and I do feel like I've noticed a difference. But apparently I could still be doing better.

I like the idea of a powdered one
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I recently revisited the Walden Farms Web site. Actually, now that I think about it the last time I tried any Walden Farms products, the World Wide Web was nothing but a gleam in some researcher's eye.

They used to make mostly salad dressings and most of them were pretty bad, which explains why it's been so long for me. They now make a zillion different products: salad dressings, fruit spreads, mayo, catsup, coffee creamers and so on, all zero carb. Their Web site listed a string of stores in my area, only one of which is in business in its original form. That retailer has a nice selection and I'm weeding through what is still awful and what I really like.

The Good: pancake syrup (amazingly good), mocha coffee creamer, apple butter, raspberry fruit spread, spicy mayo. The Ugly: the other coffee creamers, seafood sauce, catsup. The store owner warned me about their inedible peanut spread and recommended PB2, which I already like and use all the time.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Today I discovered GG Scandinavian Crispbreads (3g net carbs per slice)... they're super dry, but an excellent vessel for my beloved Kerrygold. I also bought some Ohso sugar-free dark chocolate with probiotics, slim rice and a Carb Killa bar.
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Coconut and Almond flour,. I knew it existed, but I thought it was some hippy stuff...I bought some of each today, lol.

Also I discovered that while I can buy my favorite Cabot cheese online and have it shipped, it is much easier to wait until this summer and just go to their creamery in VT to get my favorites. Horseradish cheese dip? Yes ma'am!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    This is not a new discovery but I remembered that dark chocolate ganache truffles are low carb friendly. Easiest things to make and so chocolatey, exactly what I needed
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Not really new, but fairly new to me. Dole strawberry dippers. 5 net carbs per pack and a great little dessert.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Creme fraiche! I was experimenting with trying to make yogurt with whipping cream...and apparently that is Creme fraiche. It's like a very mild sour cream. Just tried it with some shredded coconut and finely grated chocolate...nomnomnom!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @emily3907 @ambergem1969 those both sound so yummy
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Like Sunny_Bunny_, I am on carrington farm coconut oil. Today was like -AAAAHHHH--- and the Angels were singing! I worked all day with focus and good spirits! Never really hungry, no big lunch meal, just a handful of macadamia nuts.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    MerryOne00 wrote: »
    Like Sunny_Bunny_, I am on carrington farm coconut oil. Today was like -AAAAHHHH--- and the Angels were singing! I worked all day with focus and good spirits! Never really hungry, no big lunch meal, just a handful of macadamia nuts.

Coconut oil or MCT? Before I switched to MCT, I figured it was just hype. But I actually do feel a little more mental focus with it. I am someone that is acutely aware of my ability to focus though. Been dealing with ADHD levels of brain fog for my whole life.
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    Sunny, how does that work for the ADHD. I have 2 children with ADHD that take medication. The older of the two hasn't been having a good run with meds so far, as he suffers depression when using it (Concerta 18 mg). We just switched him to another at his appt this morning, but what are your thoughts as an addition to his regular medication?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Sunny, how does that work for the ADHD. I have 2 children with ADHD that take medication. The older of the two hasn't been having a good run with meds so far, as he suffers depression when using it (Concerta 18 mg). We just switched him to another at his appt this morning, but what are your thoughts as an addition to his regular medication?

My 17 year old was taking Adderall XR at maximum dosage AND Straterra and I was still constantly fighting with her completing school work and she has had to retake at least one vote class every single year of high school online while also doing the current years classes. She struggles with everything at school and if she gets all D's, that's an improvement!
    She is interested in going into the Army or Navy Reserves possibly and someone told her that she couldn't tell them about the ADHD or that she takes meds and that she would need to be off them before getting drug tested. So she wanted to quit taking them.
    I of course didn't want her D's and F's to become all F's! So I did a ton of reading and I'm still researching everyday trying to "hack ADHD" naturally.
    So far, it's been about 2 months I think since she stopped meds I think. Her final grades for last quarter were B, C, F, C, C, B. That's actually very very good!
    I give her 1 Tbs MCT oil with some Pb2 mixed in it that she just eats with a spoon from the tiny bowl I mix it in. I originally was making a coconut oil fat bomb but I wanted to switch to MCT upon doing more reading. I also have her taking 250mg magnesium, 3000mg Vitamin C, about 750mg total DHA and EPA in the form of krill oil and a basic probiotic.
    There are other supplements that I believe will be good additions, but I honestly think the MCT and DHA/EPA is the reason there's been a difference. I think I may buy the powdered MCT from Quest so she can just drink it in a cup of milk. That would be simpler and I could increase the dosage more easily. The quest powder is about $30 for 50 servings. I just don't understand the concentration of Caprylic acid in each serving. That's the main MCT (C8) that is so effective, so I would want to know how much the Quest has per serving.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Also, I have ADHD myself and do still take meds. I have still noticed such improvement that I will be lowering my meds next doctor visit.
    So, you could get them started on the MCT without risking changing anything with the meds. The healthy fats may be good for hormones to help with depression too.
    Also, I don't know if they have tried Adderall and it didn't work for them, but the only side effects I or my daughters (both of them) have ever had with it is a state of "hyper focus", often on things that don't need attention therefore neglecting things that do and decreased appetite. Which tends to level out a bit in time if the dosage isn't too high. It honestly just feels like Keto does...
    Anyway, maybe consider Adderall if meds are staying in the picture. But as low as possible and I never medicated them on weekends. The doctor agreed that with Adderall, since it's pretty much a quick response thing, taking days off when you're not really needing to be super productive helped to stay sensitive to it.
    The combination of it and MCT is like jet fuel! I really need to lower my dose!
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    Adderall XR is what the doc gave him today to give a try. 5 MG for the first week, up to 10 next week if he's still super off task. My daughter takes the Concerta 18 mg daily without issues.
    Luckily, my sons teacher also has ADHD and is very sympathetic and patient with him while we're figuring out what works. I feel bad doping him up, but he went from D's and F's to A's, B's, and a C in English - but the C in English is contributed to a learning disability (both of my ADHD children are also dyslexic) So the C in English was acceptable.

I have been slowly cutting their carbs back, but not drastically. But if I can help with their diet that's a big plus. Strattera is the next suggestion if the Adderall doesn't help him out.

Whoever told your daughter that is 100% right about the meds showing in the UA. My husband is active, and when I get the adderall and the concerta I have to sign a waiver (military pharmacy) that this medication will make your UA come up "hot" for methamphetamines. Now, if she can go off them long enough to get through basic, she can go back on them afterwards and then they check your med records when they drug test and you're all clear when it shows up. A lot more soldiers than you would think take ADHD medications (to include my husbands first sergeant, and boy is that man hyper and off focus when he doesn't take them - think 45 year old 4 year old on a sugar binge)