Fat - too much

RisiM
RisiM Posts: 180 Member
Is it possible to eat too much fat, Aria says lost .2lb but gained fat. Clothing looser though.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    bump. I'd like to hear the answer to this too.

My opinion is if you stay under your calories, you shouldn't gain weight..
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    I wouldn't trust the body fat percentages on Aria (I have one too). Mine jumps around a fair bit (like 1-5% points based on the day, even if my weight is down).

From my understanding, that number can be drastically influenced by things like hydration level, whether you've had a BM, full vs. empty stomach, etc. Of note, I think that goes for almost all body fat scales, that's just not one of the most accurate ways of predicting Body Fat #.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    aSearch4Me wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust the body fat percentages on Aria (I have one too). Mine jumps around a fair bit (like 1-5% points based on the day, even if my weight is down).

From my understanding, that number can be drastically influenced by things like hydration level, whether you've had a BM, full vs. empty stomach, etc. Of note, I think that goes for almost all body fat scales, that's just not one of the most accurate ways of predicting Body Fat #.

Yes. That number is an estimate. If you average a whole week and compare the weekly averages, then you can get a better idea of fat lost or muscle gained. But the daily stuff is even more immaculate than weight itself.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    RisiM wrote: »
    Is it possible to eat too much fat, Aria says lost .2lb but gained fat. Clothing looser though.

It depends. No one answer here, but generally as follows.

Carbs low - foundation.

In weight loss phase? You absolutely can eat too much fat. If you're morbidly obese it won't matter much in the first 6 months or so of ketosis. Weight still drops off. After that you will most likely stall.

In maintenance phase fat is 70 to 80% of your calories, so it's hard to eat too much.

Start with your protein - Google Phinney for your range of protein for your sex and height - mine is 90 to 180 grams. (6' male) That range of protein will be constant through the journey.

In weight loss you want to burn your own body fat, so get a minimum 80 to 90 grams dietary fat, then let the rest come from you. Dietary fat plus your body fat = high fat, and weight loss.

Let this be a trend, not something you obsess over.

Most days my protein is higher than my dietary fat because I want to burn body fat. Even though the macros don't look as high fat, they actually are because of the fat from me. As you get closer to maintenance the dietary fat increases and then you have the ratios of 70 to 80% fat, 10 to 20 protein and 5% carbs.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    @nicintime ... Thank you. I don't know how many times you (and others) have said this or something similar but this time it finally clicked. Thanks for being patient.
  • danrough
    danrough Posts: 30 Member
    This is an interesting and timely discussion for me, as I have been pondering a similar question recently. To give the following numbers some context, I'm 197cm (6'5") and I was 100.6 kilos. In the last 3 weeks, I've lost 7 kilos (about a stone for those using imperial measures), I feel much leaner, and my Aria scales also report that around 50% of the weight I've lost is body fat (I too have never been completely convinced of the accuracy provided by these scales, but have instead use the number as a trend line).

In these numbers there is nothing to be sad about - in fact, I have been pleasantly surprised at the speed at which weight has come off. But, I can't help thinking that I haven't found the right balance of fat / protein / carbs in my diet yet. In the last 3 weeks, aside from 3 separate days when I ate 52g, 58g and 42g of carbs, I have consistently been taking 40g or less onboard. These carbs have come from nuts, some fruit and mainly green veg (a bit of carrot). That's in comparison to an average of 120g of protein and 116g of fat no a daily basis over that same period.

I've been maintaining my protein intake, as I tend to do a lot of long distance cycling and don't want to see too much muscle degradation. The experiment continues - any insights in the mean time would be appreciated :smile:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    danrough wrote: »
    This is an interesting and timely discussion for me, as I have been pondering a similar question recently. To give the following numbers some context, I'm 197cm (6'5") and I was 100.6 kilos. In the last 3 weeks, I've lost 7 kilos (about a stone for those using imperial measures), I feel much leaner, and my Aria scales also report that around 50% of the weight I've lost is body fat (I too have never been completely convinced of the accuracy provided by these scales, but have instead use the number as a trend line).

In these numbers there is nothing to be sad about - in fact, I have been pleasantly surprised at the speed at which weight has come off. But, I can't help thinking that I haven't found the right balance of fat / protein / carbs in my diet yet. In the last 3 weeks, aside from 3 separate days when I ate 52g, 58g and 42g of carbs, I have consistently been taking 40g or less onboard. These carbs have come from nuts, some fruit and mainly green veg (a bit of carrot). That's in comparison to an average of 120g of protein and 116g of fat no a daily basis over that same period.

I've been maintaining my protein intake, as I tend to do a lot of long distance cycling and don't want to see too much muscle degradation. The experiment continues - any insights in the mean time would be appreciated :smile:

It sounds like you're having a good deal of success. I don't think I would change a thing if it's working.
    Since you're cycling is no doubt burning quite a lot of fat and your overall fat intake isn't very high, you're burning a good deal of your body fat with every ride. I don't know how close you are to goal, but, you'll probably need to increase the fat intake or carb intake if that works for you as you get closer.
    @wabmester just mentioned this to someone else in another thread. Talking about what to eat before exercise I think...