Depression after Surgery

Options
Wonderwomanvik
Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
I'm about 6 months out from surgery. I had a rough first couple of months immediately following surgery which led to some feelings of depression. I have been doing fairly well since then. But, over the last couple of weeks I've been plagued with serious depressive moods and crying spells. It's getting to a point that I feel worthless and can't see a point in getting up each day.
I fight everyday to just do the bare minimum. Has anyone else experienced depression after surgery? I don't know how to fix this.

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Were you depressed before surgery, and this is just carrying over, or have you not really had the issues until recently? I have fought depression for most of my life, and the fight is always easier when you have someone to help you. Please look into some counselling assistance as soon as you can. Don't let the problem get out of hand.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Yes, please go see someone for help with this. Whether it could be related to the surgery or not, depression is one of those things where getting help and counseling is always the best option. Clinical depression is chemical and it won't go away without intervention. It could be completely related to the surgery since our bodies change so much afterward, but either way, you'll need some help fighting it.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with both anbrdr and cmchandler74. Please see someone. This process is full of many highs and lows. You are worth the effort! You could reach out to your surgeons office and see if they have suggestions for you. There may even be a group focused on post-op depression or they could refer you to a counselor. We are here for you! If you ever just want to vent feel free to message me. I will try to help any way I can.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    gonzalesvikki I had my WLS on Nov.11 and I have had the worst time of things. Not losing, sick most of the time and so much more. I know this will pass, but my depression has gotten so bad that I am actually looking for prof. help. I sure know where your coming from, If you need to talk I would be glad to visit with you. It's almost like a dark hole that I'm getting closer and closer to going down...so please if you need to talk it could do us both some good :-)
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We've all been following your progress and your struggles. I see how much this whole group cares and supports. Tawny said it well when she said that you are worth the effort. Please find a support group to talk with. Your positive attitude through the difficulties in the beginning was a real inspiration to me (plus the story of the skit that your kids did to cheer you up). I battle with depression too. Everyone's fight is different, but doesn't have to be lonely. I'm always here if you need to chat!!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    Thank you @anbrdr @cmchandler74 @Tawnykakers1 @kendawallace @angiemollison308 I called the surgeon and they said call primary care. I called primary care and left messages. No call back yet. I even called the counseling department at my school and couldn't get anyone to talk to. It shouldn't be this hard to find help.
    The funny thing is, I'm generally happy with where things are right now. I am under a lot of stress but it's for a good cause. I'm finishing up my degree. I am more active than I've been in a decade. But, for some odd reason I start crying without any triggers. I just feel overwhelmingly sad suddenly and cry. I've never had this happen before.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Please keep advocating for yourself. It is so hard to do right now, I know, I've walked that path myself and have also watched loved ones suffer. Right now I'm going to go out on a limb ask that if you ever get to the point where you feel like the depression is overwhelming and you are considering harming yourself, please call this number: 1-800-273-8255. I am not saying that you will need to call, but even though I don't know you I do care about you.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    Thank you. When I get too sad I just remember my children and I have a reason to smile.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you @anbrdr @cmchandler74 @Tawnykakers1 @kendawallace @angiemollison308 I called the surgeon and they said call primary care. I called primary care and left messages. No call back yet. I even called the counseling department at my school and couldn't get anyone to talk to. It shouldn't be this hard to find help.
    The funny thing is, I'm generally happy with where things are right now. I am under a lot of stress but it's for a good cause. I'm finishing up my degree. I am more active than I've been in a decade. But, for some odd reason I start crying without any triggers. I just feel overwhelmingly sad suddenly and cry. I've never had this happen before.

You are absolutely correct, it shouldn't be so hard. Another thing to think about is hormones. This process can make your hormones go out of whack. When you said about crying it made me think about when I was pregnant and I would cry for absolutely no reason. I hope you hear back from someone soon.
  • coffeeandacop
    coffeeandacop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    cmfjyv37x0eu.jpeg
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had several bouts of random depression over the first 8 months after my surgery. I chalked it up to my hormones being messed up from the weight loss. It got better when I exercised regularly (or maybe when my rapid weight loss tapered off). Hope you can get assistance soon. You are worth it!
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about the hormone issue, too. You can request blood tests for that. So much of depression is biochemistry that, given that things are generally good for you, the fact you are having issues makes me wonder about that.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    I have an appointment with my primary next week for other reasons. If I don't hear from her before then I'll bring it up
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hormones are stored in fat cells. As we burn those fat cells for energy they release those hormones back into our bloodstream. Then, our brains don't know what to do with it, making us experienced once some potential mental health side effects. That being said, treatment is warranted. Things improved with time for me, but I'm sure it would have passed sooner if I had reached out for help! I'm glad you have an appointment to see the doctor! Hugs! :blush:
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment with my primary next week for other reasons. If I don't hear from her before then I'll bring it up

and if you don't hear from her or someone in the clinic, bring that up too. be sure and bring up ALL your questions and concerns when you go in. make a list of everything, however small it may be, get your monies worth out of your visit

• bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @gonzalesvikki - How are you doing?
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    I went to the dr and she brushed it off. She didn't want to deal with anything that was outside of the reason I scheduled the appointment.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time for a new doctor.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    I agree, but no help in the meantime.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I talked with my doc about starting some therapy to deal with my issues adjusting to maintenance. She was very supportive but told me that mental health therapy is self-referring. Perhaps your insurance is similar. My doc suggested I get a name from my variant roc psych folks.

I am sorry that you have an asshat for a doctor.

Rob