Depression after Surgery

Options

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes. Call your insurance and find out who you can see. Some doctors don't have a clue, but come on! I'm so sorry for you! We have to take our healthcare into our own hands! Hang in there dear!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    I will find out.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    I talked with my doc about starting some therapy to deal with my issues adjusting to maintenance. She was very supportive but told me that mental health therapy is self-referring. Perhaps your insurance is similar. My doc suggested I get a name from my variant roc psych folks.

I am sorry that you have an asshat for a doctor.

Rob

Whoops! variant roc=bariatric. Love that autocorrect!
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have two thoughts....first, if you're at a school rather than calling go directly to the counseling offices and tell them you need to have an appointment with someone and stress the urgency and explain the roadblocks you've encountered. Most schools are very tuned into mental health issues these days.

Second, I agree with Rob. Go online and look up counselors in your area. I personally suggest and LISW (social worker) or other licensed counselor, as there are a limited number of psychologists and psychiatrists out there. Getting an appointment with them isn't easy, and I've always gotten the best services from these two types of professionals. When you call to make an appointment, most counseling centers will take your insurance information and contact the insurance company on your behalf to determine what benefits are available.

The social workers and counselors generally will have better access to get you to see a psychiatrist if medication might be helpful. If medications are recommended, don't be afraid to consider this. I would suggest asking for a med with low potential side effects as a starting point such as Wellbutrin. Weight gain isn't a side effect (last thing you'd be wanting to deal with) and sexual side effects are unlikely (another depressing thing!).

Finally, I know this isn't easy given how busy life is and with not feeling your best....but ae you doing any exercise? Study after study has shown regular, consistent exercise is one of the very best treatments possible for depression.

I have dealt with depression since childhood and it's managed very effectively now. Life isn't perfect, but it's SO much better when you are able to control your depression rather than having it control you. I feel for you and want to hear that you've found some really good help. Please feel free to send a friend request too if you'd like.

Weight loss surgery is a major stress from both a medical and physical perspective. You've done awesome things to take care of yourself and your health that have brought you to this point...it's just time to do a few more small things to bring it al together :smile:
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If your insurance won't cover it, many communities provide free mental health services (or almost free based on a sliding scale). Some of our local churches have members (who are professional therapists) that volunteer at the church to do this, too. There is some great help out there for you. I am sorry that you have to jump over so many hurdles to try to access it. Please keep advocating for yourself--you're worth it!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It was interesting to read this thread because I have been feeling so sad lately and it was beginning to affect other areas of my life. I am about 1.5 years out of sleeve surgery. I just found out from Kaiser that I can "self refer" so I scheduled an appointment with the same psychiatrist that I saw for the mental health assessment pre-surgery. Can't get in until April though but they did change up some of my current meds.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    Well, apparently I'm more depressed than I wanted to believe. Hopefully, I get some help.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have battled with being bi-polar my whole life. Depression is and will always be something that I will struggle with. However, I know that it is something that when the need arrises, I have a counselor that I can talk with. I have a friend that I can talk with. I have a friend that I can state, hey I need to grab a cup of coffee. He knows, hey, she just needs to talk and I need to listen thing. But you can always call 800-950-6264, it is a crisis support line that is free from NAMI. They can help you find a local organization that can help you.
  • GalgoMomAnita
    Options
    Please keep us posted and let us know you're okay <3
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    Well. I ended up in the ER over night... But I have a referral now.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you ended up in the ER BUT Yay referral. I'm prone to depression, and the system surely doesn't understand that one simple "blow off" from a lame office employee can literally dictate recovery or slipping further away. I'm praying for you Vikki. Please let us know when you have your appointment!
  • GalgoMomAnita
    Options
    I'm really glad you went into the ER, and I'm sorry you're hurting so much - I really feel for you. Don't hesitate to go back if you feel you need to. Deep down, you're a very strong person to have come so far. Do what you can to dig down and find that strength. I know when I am very depressed I feel like I'm in the bottom of a deep well. I can look up and see it's bright somewhere, but everything around me feels cold and dark. But it's always temporary - better days will come your way with help <3
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    You did the right thing! Keep doing it too, when you feel you need to! Maybe someone will get the message that you're seriously needing help, and not blow you off! I'm so glad you went! Keep us updated on how you are, please! Sometimes it can help just to come here and let it all out when you feel you need to! Hugs for you! :blush:
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and support.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wonderwomanvic- Love the name change! You did what you needed to do and got that referral! Keep going wonderwoman!!!
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    Thank you.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    I received a call from a social worker at the college. Apparently whenever a student goes to the ER, they get a report. She wants to meet with me Monday to see what the school can do to help and also find community resources.
    A step in the right direction.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Options
    Also... I've started stress eating. And it hurts!!!!!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Sounds like you've got some great help headed your way.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Small blessings! What a great service your college provides! Hang in there!