Failure is not an option

Options

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've always wanted to try kettlebell exercises - that challenge looks fun! I can definitely relate to getting bored with a workout routine. Good luck on your mini goal, I know you'll kick butt! :)
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well i'm not sure how much butt i'll be kicking. I was just doing some Kettlebell lunges in my office between calls and next thing i hear is "POP" and massive pain in my right calf. Yup you guessed it. Another torn calf. I would go so far as to say this one is a tad worse than the first one. Other leg though. I'm sitting here in pain trying to get through as much of my shift as I can. I can barely walk. It's higher up this time closer to the back of my knee. I'm supposed to do a fitness test and get a new program today. Well that wont be happening. I'm so disappointed. I'm hoping i can get into the physio ASAP and get some treatment on it. For now i'm icing and will elevate as much as possible. Going to curl up with my blankie and cry.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Aww, that really sucks! Take it easy and get better! *HUGS*
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Ah *kitten*. Sorry to hear that Kell. I can only imagine how frustrated you must be right now. Please don't lose focus, now is the time to bear down on your diet 100% and rest up that leg. You already went through this once you can do it again, no problem. Don't let it derail you, please stay focused.
  • 50extra
    Options
    And just so you know kitten is the autocorrect for a swear
  • Kell2912
    Options
    I have been saying many *kitten* this morning. It's looking more and more like crutches for a stint as I can't really straighten my leg let alone walk on it. Just waiting for the rest of the country to wake up so I can organise some treatment. I did console myself with some chocolate but I will be keeping a close eye on my eating given I probably won't be fully exercising for a bit.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Do you have any idea why this has happened twice now? Is it lack of stretching? Or perhaps not properly warming up first?
  • Quzzdragon12
    Quzzdragon12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Aww Kell! Feel better soon. Hopefully the dr. can give you something to help you heal quickly and correctly. *hugs*
  • Kell2912
    Options
    @50extra I think it may be a combination of not warming up properly and also my weird body mechanics. Because of the strange way I walk my calves are wound pretty tight normally and just doing any sort of stretching adds pressure. I'm going to speak to the trainer at the gym about some good warm up stretches.

I feel a good deal better after the Physio yesterday. I go back on Saturday for another round. I reckon if I contain myself between now and Sunday I should be able to get back to the gym on Monday and do some sort of modified workout like I did last time. Sadly I'll most likely have to say goodbye to the fitness challenge but hey small price to pay and i still should be able to get my PT session and definitely get my new program so all is not as bad as first feared
  • 50extra
    Options
    Well that's great news. Why does it seem that our bodies resist this change? It was so easy to put the weight on, it should be so easy to take it off too!
  • Kell2912
    Options
    I went down to the gym today cause I was having withdrawals from not going and spoke to the trainer. She gave me my new program and we had a chat about the fitness challenge. All does not look lost. Providing my leg continues to improve, by Monday I should be able to do the fitness test. Albeit not as flat out as I'd like but the trainers says this will play in my favour because at the end of 6 weeks when my leg should be pretty much back to normal I will be able to cane the fitness test and show a good improvement. So hopefully with a good physio session on Saturday, things will be fairly functional. I have been walking a bit today and while it checks me if i stride out too much it is 1000% better than what it was yesterday so i'm really happy.
    So as promised the new program is:

Day One- Cardio and Strength

Bike 500m Fast (RPM above 80 Level 6-8)
    45 Sec slow pedal
    Repeat for 15 mins

Shoulder Press (Dumbell) 3 Sets 15 Reps
    Side Raise (Dumbell) 3 Sets 15 Reps
    Chest Press Cable 3 Sets 15 Reps
    Super set with
    Plate Push 3 Sets 20 Reps
    Bicep Curl EZ Bar 3 Sets 15 Reps
    (4 sec count on way down)
    Super set with
    Hammer Curl Dumbell 3 Sets 15 Reps
    Tricep Pulldown 3 Sets 15 Reps
    Tricep Pulldown Run the rack 1 Set 10 Reps

Day Two - Functional Training

Part 1)
    400m Bike sprint or 200m treadmill
    10 ball slams
    As Many Reps as Possible (AMRAP) in 12 mins

Part 2)
    12 Kettlebell swings
    9 pushups
    AMRAP 10mins

Day Three Cardio+ Legs + Back

Rower as fast as possible
    500m sprint-2min rest
    400m sprint-1.30 min rest
    300m sprint-1 min rest
    200m sprint-45 sec rest
    100m sprint- Done

Squats with barbell 3 Sets 15 reps
    Deadlift 3 sets 15 reps
    Wide Squat 3 Sets 15 sets
    Leg Extension (2sec hold) 3 sets 15 reps
    Leg Extention Eun the Rack 1 Set 10 Reps
    Bent over Row dumbell 3 Sets 15 Reps

Day Four- Functional Training

Squat Press
    Pull Ups
    Kettlebell Swings
    200m Row

AMRAP 25mins

CORE

15 x double extension
    20 x crunch pulses
    Plank 45 Secs
    20 x Ankle Taps

• 50extra
    Options
    Jesus that sounds intense! I am very surprised that they have you doing the cardio portion before the weight lifting portion. I'm by no way a seasoned vet when it comes to lifting weights but I have always understood that cardio comes after weights, never before.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    It depends what you want to get out of it. I personally prefer cardio then weights. It gets my heart rate up and keeps me in fat burn for longer thus good for weight loss. I read an article recently about which to do first and what it benefits. I'll see if I can find it and post a link here
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    I'm glad things are improving and that you're feeling better!

How do you feel about the new program?
  • Quzzdragon12
    Quzzdragon12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sheesh! That program does look intense - but AWESOME! I'm really glad to hear your trainers are taking your leg into account. The last thing you want to do it injure it more, and it sounds like you can work your way up to really pushing it. Keep up the great work!!! :)
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad your leg is doing better. I went to the ortho with my knees. They gave me cortisone shots in both knees. The weather has been cold, and I'm adjusting to working saga in so I'm hoping exercise will be possible next week.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    So many ups and downs in a day.
    I went to the physio today and she's diagnosed a grade 2 tear of my calf and just because I like to do things properly I also have a grade 1 tear of my hamstring on the medial side. Probably explains why its been a bit tender. Not very happy about all that at all. She spent a good deal of time really giving it a good massage which hurt like hell and then taped it. I'm supposed to be trying to walk without a limp but its harder than it sounds

Went to the gym to try and do a workout. Could only do a gentle ride of 60RPM and lvl10 for 10 mins and 500m on the rowing machine before calling it quits and just doing some core work. It was a most unsatisfying and frustrating workout. I'm doing my fitness test on Monday for the challenge. i hope things settle in the next day or so. I was hoping to be able to take some antiinflammatories over the weekend but that doesn't look like its going to happen (more on that in a minute). If im not substantially better by Monday I am going to pull the pin on the fitness challenge.

So I went back to work tonight. I'm sitting during calls instead of standing as it hurts. About half way through my shift I started getting really bad upper abdominal pain and nausea. I mean really bad. It's rather difficult to triage someone elses pain when you're half keeled over yourself. I have a referral for an ultrasound for potential gallstones but i tend to think I have another stomach ulcer. I chewed on some Rennies and am making my way through 2.5L (about 1/2 gallon) of coke life to help me burp and ease some of the pain. I have also taken some nexium. All of that combined has eased it and i'm hoping it stays awasy for the next hour and a half until i finish my shift. Ironically I triaged a gentleman tonight who had torn his calf muscle. I was able to give him some great advice. Between injuries and illness it appears my body is not taking to this fit and healthy caper very well at all. I'm hoping it is just a short phase while it is getting used to what im doing. I don't have time to be sick OR injured.

So after all my moaning and groaning i did have a NSV of sorts today. If you remember I said a few posts ago that I could finally fit into clothes from the sporting section of the local department store. Well fitting into them is one thing but having the guts to wear them out in public is another. I'm very conscious (and always have been since I was a teen) of my tummy sticking out. Normally I wear very baggy clothes. So this week I got up the nerve to wear my new tops to the gym. My trainer noticed and said I looked good. Well today after the gym my partner and I had to go grocery shopping and I didn't have time to change so I just wore my gym gear down to the supermarket. I was a bit self conscious but then I realised that everyone was too busy doing their own thing to be worried about my protruding tummy. So I have posted a pic of what I was wearing today. Ably photobombed by one of my dogs.

bbi7z1jvutjm.jpg

A bit of an up and down day. Tomorrow I am going to rest. I have DOMS big time from my arms workout yesterday and moving my bedroom around. 1 more hour of listening to peoples ills and then a whole day off. I don't know if I can stand the excitement. Looking forward to snuggling under my minions doona with my puppies and reading Harry Potter for a bit before heading off to sleep. I hope all of you gorgeous people are having a fab day. Thanks for listening to my little whinge fest. I knew this road wouldn't be an easy one but some days I wish it was just a little less tough
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    I hope things get better! That sounds really painful and I'm sorry you're having such a hard time! *HUGS*

You look great! Love the outfit! :)

I hope you enjoy your day off and get tons of rest!