Failure is not an option

Options
Kell2912
Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
I've never been naturally active (or co-ordinated). When i was young a swimming instructor told my mum she'd never seen a more unco-ordinated child in her life. My mum used to love telling me that story. Needless to say i was never very active as a child. As i got older my co-ordination got better but i still never got very active. Until Uni. As part of a health topic we had to track one part of our health and work to improve it. I chose my resting heart rate. I signed up to the gym started aerobics and got totally addicted. As my heart rate dropped along with my weight i got more and more into it and started teaching aerobics. This was around the time that Step entered the aerobic scene. Between aerobics, Little athletics and indoor netball, i was active 7 days per week. I was 5'4" and weighed 59kg (130lb). I did get down to 55kg (121lb) for a short time but was way too thin for my frame. I started work as a nurse and maintained my weight but the gym dropped off. Then i became unwell and that marked the start of a downward (or upward) spiral in my weight and fitness. That was 1994. Since then i have tried to stay healthy and minimise my weight gain but it hasn't worked. 7 years ago I left ward work and began my working career as a telephone health advice line nurse. Sedentary job. Sedentary life. I was 90kg (198.5lb) then and at my heaviest in 2014 i got to 126.1kg (277.8lb). I could barely breath let alone tie my shoe laces. I found My Fitness Pal and Fitbit and embarked on a journey. In 12 weeks i lost 12kg (26.5lb) but also picked up an injury to my knees which made it near impossible for me to walk. My knees kept collecting fluid and getting sore and this continued for a year.
So fast forward to 2016 and i'm in a different mindset. My weight went back up to 120.1kg (264.8lb) and i decided i needed to do some no impact exercise to drop some weight before going any further. I have cut right down on sugar, coca cola is gone from my life and have reduced a lot of crap. I spent the majority of January riding my under the desk pedals in my breaks at work (i work from home). I might also add here I work permanent night duty 4 nights a week. As of Thursday this week my weight was 115.9kg (255.5lb). I joined my local gym and explained to the trainer my situations. She has been awesome and has designed a plan for me to get me started that will challenge me but not break my poorly abused body. My aim is to go 3-4 times a week. I'm feeling really motivated and want to do this. Failure is not an option this time. I am 43 and want to see 60. If i keep going the was I was, that most likely wouldn't happen or I wouldn't be in a fit state to enjoy it.
My first goal is to be under 110kg (242.5) by the 9th April for my best friends daughters birthday and naming day to which i have the honour of being one of her life guardians. I want to set a good example for her. Onward and upward

Replies

• totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding that you are going to make such a positive change in your life.
    I love the 'failure is not an option' attitude.

I look forward to reading about your success !
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hey khatmott, I also like the attitude you are showing here.

You say in your post that you want to see 60, well that's not good enough. I want to see well over 80 and I want you to see that as well. Lets work together, motivate each other, celebrate in the victories and overcome the defeats together.

I feel your pain with the sedentary lifestyle and understand the impact it has on your body. In the 60 years I have been at this job I ahve gained 53 pounds (189-242). I get in a car, drive 1:15 to work, sit at a computer desk for 11 hours, then drive 1:15 back to my apartment. Once I get there, I eat, watch movies, and eat. Then do it all over for 30 days in a row. As I am sure you have seen on my post I have changed the night time routine to add in some activity.

Lets work together and get each other off our *kitten* and doing something productive. We both know that we can't change our activity level at work but lets make necessary changes at home and drop some of this weight that plagues us and brings us both down.

Your short term goal is 13 pounds in 9 weeks from today. I would love to see you smash that goal a month early. If possible try setting your calories to 2 pounds a week and lets get losing!
  • nbbaby
    nbbaby Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Great attitude!! I just know you'll do it. Just keep being positive.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Just realized i wrote 60 years, and not 6 years.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Thanks guys. 50 extra i know that routine. I work from home and at nights. May daily routine from monday night to friday afternoons is sit at a desk and answer calls for 8 hrs. Get up from my desk and walk 5 paces max to my bedroom and sleep for most of the day. I get up around 3 in the afternoon and perhaps runs some errands. i eat dinner and back to bed for a couple of hours before work again and so the cycle goes. Because i work at home and the food pantry is only a quick 10 steps or so away it is very easy to snack while im at work. And snack on the wrong things.
    Hence the changes
    In my breaks now i cycle on my under the desk pedals and will be doing stretching exercises with my resistance bands. I'm still trying to figure out the best time to be going to the gym. I would probably be most motivated straight after work but then i come home after the gym and go to bed (which i need to do) which kind of slows down the great energy burn and metabolic rate i have achieved. Or i go after I wake up in the afternoon where i will be up for a few hours and also will incorporate dinner. I'm never one that wakes up well and my fear is that the head talk will override my motivation to go to the gym. I think however, that I am going to have to suck it up and make myself go at this time for max effect. I'm sure i can do this 3 days per week.
    Tomorrow is weigh day. It will be interesting to see what the numbers say. I'm hoping for a loss as I have done all the right things, however i am also away I have done some strength training this week and so there may be some muscle gain which will offset the loss on the scales. My main measure is my clothes.
    Watch this space
  • Kell2912
    Options
    For comparison. This is my current gym routine
    250m Treadmill (brisk pace) Currently between 50-53
    20 Squats with medicine ball 6kg
    15 Pull Ups trx
    12 Push ups on the wall
    10 shoulder press using 6kg medicine ball
    Repeat x 4

Week one average time: 37.5 Mins
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    its a tough routine, and one that doesn't readily lend itself towards a healthy lifestyle.

Some things that I have read others do:
    1. a treadmill desk. it just needs to go at a slow walking pace, but the calories add up.
    2. even though you work from home, pre-pack yourself a 'lunch' box (I know its not lunch time) each day and only allowing yourself to eat that for your entire shift.
    3. manage your food environment. Keep foods that you want to eat visible and foods that you want to cut down on at the back of your cupboard
    4. a separate lockable area of the pantry for foods that you are trying to avoid

I'm not sure whether any of these would work for you ?

Good Luck with your weigh-in tomorrow !
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Thanks I have a vari desk where i can sit and stand depending on how i feel. i think i need to put that back into action. it has an app with it that shows you how many calories you burn while standing. im just waiting until i drop a bit more weight so im not putting undue stress on my already slightly arthritis knees.
    I like the idea about the lunch box though. its a good idea.
  • 50extra
    Options
    That strength training looks like a great routine and you should start seeing the benefits of it immediately.

Why are you sleeping two times during the day, why not get a good night/day sleep and get yourself turned around to a reasonable sleeping schedule?

And you are wondering when the best time to go to the gym is? The answer is any time you can. If you program yourself to think that the only good time to go to the gym is in the morning, then every single day you miss getting up in the morning you just wont go. Try to do it whenever you work up the energy to get there.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a giant exercise ball that I sit on at my desk. I doubt I burn more calories on it but it makes me feel more active and that motivation tends to roll over to better eating and the desire to get up and do real exercise.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    50 extra sleep twice during the day because i'm the kind of person that needs a good 10-12 hours of sleep or I don't function. I get up late arvo because I'm required to, plus I've always had my main sleep plus a smaller cat nap. Just how my body is wired.
    I was talking to my psychologist today about the whole when is the best time to exercise thing and she basically said the same thing. Take each day as it comes and go whenever it suits your needs for that day as long as you go. So I am going to adopt that approach.
    I need to stop planning the life out of everything and just go with the flow
    I weighed myself this morning and lost 200g (0.4lb). I was disappointed. But then i looked at the bigger picture and thought to myself that i have just started at the gym and I'm doing some strength training that will immediately put on some muscle in someone who hasn't exercised in 7 years so that will negate some weight loss on the scales. I also remembered that my clothes that were once firm on me are now becoming a little more loose, so perhaps I have lost a little more than the scales are telling me. I have decided from next Monday ( mainly cause that's when i have night time sleeps) I am going to start with measurements. I think that will give me a more accurate measurement of how things are going. So Bust, Waist, Hip, Neck. And to keep myself accountable I will be posting them here.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Dont forget bicept and thigh on the measurements! I love the posting thing, there is no way to lie to yourself when all of these random people can see exactly what progress you are making. Its freaking embarrassing which is the motivating part of it.

Interesting about the sleep patterns, I am more of a 6-7 hour a night kinda guy so that is something new to hear about.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The more ways you measure progress; scale, tape, calipers, fitness improvement the better! It's harder to be upset by scale fluctuations when all other indicators show improvement.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    So im definitely noticing some changes. I am down 1kg (2.2lb) this week, which is my goal. Initially i had been disappointed with my loss because it didn't seem much but when i looked back to a week ago yeah im down 1kg. So pretty stoked there.
    When i went to the shops yesterday I was looking at the gym gear and thought i'd try on some pants a size smaller than what i have been wearing. Lo and behold they fit!!!!! They are a bit "fitted" in places where they should "hang" but they comfortably fit. I positively dances around the shops. I know my clothes were feeling more roomier but to go down a size was a win i wasn't expecting. Of course i bought them
    I have also noticed im "fitting" in my office chair much better and more comfortably. I sit in a chair for 8 hrs a night 4 days a week and was getting very uncomfortable in it. Now that i have shrunk a bit i can sit right back in the chair and am getting very comfy. Its just the little things that are starting to show and that are getting my quite motivated.
    Only downer is my back is getting a bit sore but i have a visit with my chiropractor this afternoon and he will sort that out.
    Now my mission is to find a protein powder that doesn't upset my tummy and cause me to be very intimate with my loo. MOst of them it seems are made on dairy derivatives and I'm severely sensitive to dairy. So it seems i need to find a pea protein. It sounds interesting but I will give it a go. It's all about getting healthy
  • cmr3399
    cmr3399 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's so great to hear positive reports. Gives me a bit more pep in my step as well. The next thing on my list as well is finding workout gear, maybe if I find workout gear I feel good in I will feel a bit more positive about as you put it putting more health in my day. Hope you have a great one. Congrats on your successes. Keep up the good work!
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I am also very sensitive to dairy. The protein powder I use is Vega Protein & Greens. I've tried others, but to me this one tastes the best (both vanilla and chocolate flavors...haven't tried the berry one). I'm hoping to upgrade to Vega One, but it's not in the budget at the moment.
  • leannamvaughan
    leannamvaughan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Keep it up and congrats on the successes!
  • smiphette
    smiphette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love that "fitting" feeling. Congrats!
  • Kell2912
    Options
    @cmr3399 i went out and got myself some gym gear so I could "look the part" and it does work on the mind. I love getting into my gear it gets my head in the right space. I don't know if you have Target where you are but they have some awesome stuff. I despaired of finding anything cause i need larger sizes but Target had it and really nice stuff too. I bought myself some gym towels and a gym bag. It all works on the psyche and gets me ready to go
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Hope the chiro sorted out your back :smile:.
    Those are some great NSVs - I know the 'dancing around the stores' feeling all to well. I try to hold onto what that feels like and use it as motivation if I go through a rough patch. Congratulations !