Failure is not an option

Options

Replies

• Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Had my body composition scan today. All I can say is wow so much information
    Height 161.4cm (5'3")
    Weight 116.2 kg (256lb)
    Neck 47.9cm (18.8in)
    Chest 119.1cm (46.7in)
    Waist 117.2cm (46.1in)
    Hip 127cm (50in)
    Right Arm 41.7cm (16.4in)
    Left Arm 41.5cm (16.3in)
    Right thigh 71.9cm (28.3in)
    Left thight 70.7cm (27.8in)

Waist/Hip ratio : 0.92 (not good not bad either)
    Visceral Fat level 20 (really bad lots of fatty organs)
    BMR: 1623cal (i'm not eating nearly ewnough calories)

Total Body Water 43.1L ( Normal range 28.5-34.9 I swear most of that is in my ankles)
    Protein: 11.3kg (normal range is 7.7-9.4 )
    Minerals 3.59 (normal 2.64-3.22 this is a good result i have strong healthy bones)
    Body Fat Mass 58.2kg (normal range 11.2-17.9 Clearly im well overweight)

Skeletal Muscle Mass: 32.1kg (70.7lb i'm told that I have big muscles, more than some regular gym goers who lift weights, this is why my body water and protein are high. Also explains why my weight loss appears to have stalled on the scales. I arrive at the door of the gym and my muscles immediately bulk up.....lol)
    My legs are quite strong but my arms need some work. And i need to lose at least 50kg (110lb) of fat. This is going to be a long haul but i reckon i'm in the head space to do it. Now that I know why im not seeing much on the scales, I am less disheartened and will look at other measurements such as a repeat body composition in 8 weeks as well as how my clothes are fitting to see how i'm going.
    Sorry to bore everyone with my dribble but i find these numbers fascinating
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I do too. Are these test expensive it sounds like the information would be helpful. Muscles are good right? Thanks for sharing :p
  • quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wow... that is a lot of information! I hope that it helps you set realistic goals and reach them. Your strength isn't just in your legs - it's also in your determination. Rooting for you!
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I like all those numbers too. I'm looking into getting some tests done as well and just called the VA to find out if they offer this sort of service. I really hope they do!

I hope your numbers will be super helpful for you. It seems as though they already are!
  • Kell2912
    Options
    @LottieStanley I paid $50 for my test but apparently some gyms have it free for their members. Even though i live in a biggish city we are quite backward but if you google body composition scan for your area it should tell you where you can get it done. Apart from signing up at my gym its the best money i've spent. I know now how much fuel my body needs and it also explains why i'm not losing on the scales and probably wont see big losses on the scales because my muscle mass is so big it is offsetting any fat loss. So i need to measure my loss by body measurements.
    @quzzdragon I can be a stubborn cow when i want to be but its people like you who keep me motivated. Thank you.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Bad pain day today. I am aching from my neck to my lower back. For some reason my back has not enjoyed my venture in exercise. I'm all good when im doing it but afterwards i am so stiff and sore. I don't know if im reacting to the food i'm eating or my weird body mechanics are making life difficult. I have numerous food sensitivities and will be exploring these with a dietician soon but im eating fairly plain so can't see there's be a big issue there. I managed to get an appointment with my chiropractor today and I will speak with him about my back. I just know I don't like this pain and stiffness.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Awesome body comp test! Now your in the same boat as me, you know exactly where you stand and have a definite goal to work towards. We're also similar with big muscles hiding under the fat :smile:

I'm eating under my BMR as well. I will continue to do that until the scale plateaus and I have no reason for it.

$50 well worth it!
  • quzzdragon
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've had pain in your back. I saw your ab challenge - how's that going? If you do all of those things cold you could seriously hurt your back. Maybe some of these?: http://breakingmuscle.com/yoga/heal-your-lower-back-pain-with-these-5-yoga-poses

Hope you feel better soon!!! Working with a dietician is a great step in figuring out the needs of your body. Let us know how it goes!
  • Kell2912
    Options
    I have given the AB challenge the flick for now. It was just a little bit beyond me. I saw the chiro and he sorted my back really well. The only thing is by the time i got home it had slipped out again. Basically my ribs are jammed up. I'm going to ring and get an appointment again in the morning to have another adjustment. Lucky i work for a health insurance company and have good cover.

In other exciting news, I spoke with my Trainer today at the gym and as of next week we are going to step up my program making it more challenging and complex. I'm really looking forward to that as the one im on is basic and ive done pretty much all i can do with it. I'm not even getting my heart rate into cardio levels anymore. On the flip side i spend all my time with my heart rate in fat burning zone but i'd also like to improve my cardio fitness as well.

Because i work a sedentary job as a nurse on a health advice line, i sit for pretty much 8 hrs a day 4-5 days a week. Last year i purchased a sit-stand desk but because i was so heavy and out of condition i couldn't stand for very long at all. Given my back hurts more when i sit I put my desk back up tonight and have been standing when I take calls and sitting between calls (which is not long. Coming into Aussie winter everyone has man flu and reckons they need the ED). I have been feeling really good standing up and while im on a call i bend and twist and move all the time. It feels so good. And a bonus i burn more cals standing than i do sitting.
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    I wish when I worked I had a stand up desk. Do you work at home? I'm glad you like your trainer I hope your back will be better by then, wouldn't want you to have more pain with that too.

Talked to my daughter today and she was telling me there is core workouts that you can do seated. I'm going to google it later tonite and see what they are. I need to firm up my abs but I can't get on the floor, hard to get back up with bad knees. (Picture me crawling up a chair hanging on and pulling. Not a pretty sight)

Have a great evening
  • Kell2912
    Options
    So not a fantastic day today. I had thoughts of going to the gym but life kinda got in the way and when i did have some spare time i was feeling really tired and my knees have been hurting really bad today. My left knee decided to build up some fluid and my right knee has been very crunchy and giving me a lot of grief every time i try to bend it. I ended up not going and having a rest after lunch.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the greens that I am taking are also playing up with my sensitivities and auto immune issues. Every time i try taking it i get very tired and also very runny in the nose. I want to take the greens because i don't eat a lot of veges and my tummy feels a lot better when im on it. I will persist for a few more days to see how it goes.

It's also been a poor choice eating day today. I usually am pretty good and have good self control but my problem is when i do go a bit over or make a poor choice my brain then thinks well you've already fallen off you may as well do it big. And hence a slide into poor choice oblivion. My partner is having gastric sleeve surgery in 2 weeks and tomorrow is the start of her 2 weeks of optifast. In a fit of solidarity and to assist her with it, i said I would do it with her so we can go through it together. She's really struggling with the idea of not being able to eat what she likes so i figure if im doing it too we can go through it together. I will be doing a bit of a modified version as I will need extra nutrients for going to the gym. I'm kind of hoping it will kick start my body into losing weight as after 7 weeks of eating (mostly) well and 4 weeks of going to the gym i'm not seeing much in the way of weight loss. There probably wont be a lot of food diary posts from me in the next two weeks because as we know mfp wont post a diary under 1000cals.

@LottieStanley yes I do work from home. I'm a registered nurse and work on a telephone health advice line. It's pretty cushy as I get to work in my minions pj's most nights (i work permanent nights).
  • Kell2912
    Options
    So new program at the gym today. Trainer tells me she designed it to give me more challenge than the last program and boy does it ever. Today she just showed me through it but gee my muscles are not loving me tonight I can tell you.
    Program is split up into 4 days
    Day 1 Cardio
    300m Brisk walk , 1 min slow walk repeat for 15 mins
    Battle Rope x 50 alternate waves
    Slamballs x 20
    Battle rope and Slamballs repeat x 4

Day 2 Functional Training
    Rower 300m
    20 Step ups
    20 Pull Ups
    15 Kettleball Swings
    50 Battle Rope Waves
    Repeat x 4

Day 3 Full body strength training
    Leg Extension x 3 sets x 15 reps
    Deadlift x 3 sets x 12 reps
    Chest Press Cable x 3 sets x 15 reps
    Seated Row x 3 sets x 15 reps
    Shoulder Front Raise Dumb Bell x 3 sets x 12 reps each arm
    Bicep curl cable x 3 sets x 15 reps
    Tricep kick back x 3 sets x 12 reps each arm

Day 4 Functional
    Treadmill/bike 350m
    20 Slamballs
    15 Sumo deadlift high pull
    15 Pushups
    15 clean and press
    Repeat x 4

Core (which i will do each day)
    15 x Swiss ball Crunches
    20 x Single Leg Extensions
    20 x Oblique Twists
    repeat x 3
    This is really going to challenge me but i'm really looking forward to getting into it. Hopefully it will be able to finally start budging the scales in a downward trend.
    I made contact with a nutritionist today and hope to have my first session with him in the coming week. I really am at a loss as to what im supposed to be eating and how much. He sounds really cool and comes highly recommended so the plan is with a new eating plan and a new gym program we can see some good results happening and a healthier me happening.
  • quzzdragon
    Options
    Wow... that sounds really challenging. Be careful pushing too hard, but I hope you find it refreshing and challenging. Let us know what your nutritionist says. :)
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Wow I couldn't do one pull-up if my life depended on it. I love my nutricianist, she helped me last time, and that's why I went back to her. I hope you like yours. You are really inspirational I can't wait to see your progress.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ok, catching up on all your posts. Great journey you are on! And with your partner having to eat less soon, it will hopefully help you out at home. The less you keep at home, the less you can be tempted!

I see what you mean about the body comp test now. I had one when I first joined my gym but an update would probably be useful. :smile:

I think everything you are doing sounds healthy and normal. Remember, you didn't put all that weight on overnight, so you won't lose it quickly either! Frustrating, but slow and steady will get it done.

Good luck and thank you so much for your advice on my post!
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Did my Cardio day today and OMG my body burned in places i didn't know it could burn. My fitbit tells me i managed 6 mins of Cardo Heart rate and 37 mins of Fat burn Heart rate. I was pretty happy with that. Tomorrow is a rest day. I'm thinking of planning out my week as Gym mon and tues , Rest Wed, Gym thurs and fr, rest sat, Gym sunday. So effectively i do a 3-2 stretch of exercise with a rest day in between. I think it's important especially for me at this stage to have rest days to let my body recover because i have been stagnant for 7 years and don't want to push it to hard. So tomorrow I will rest and Thursday I will do day 2 which is functional training. Hopefully a downward trend in the scales
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Ok so at the start of Feb I weighed 115.9kg (255.5lb). For the most part baring a few cheat days here and there I have eaten reasonably well. I also joined a gym and really got serious about increasing my fitness. I averaged 3-4 times a week and around 40 mins per session. So today start of March i weigh 117.8kg (259.7lb) a gain of 1.9kg (4.2lb). I'm hoping that this is from muscle gain that I have made from going to the gym. My measurements are ever so slightly downward. This month I have a new more intense program with more cardio and I am also going to be seeing a nutritionist. Hopefully he can put me on the right path to some losses. I'm not altogether upset. Despite the weight gain as I said measurements are a bit down and my fitness has improved big time. Generally I feel better. Be interesting to see what March brings
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    You have so many good things in place. You should be successful. I can't wait to see your results. :)
  • Kell2912
    Options
    So I had a lightbulb moment today. I realised that I started Feb using one set of scales and ended it using another. So I did a scale comparison and the new scales are weighing me 1.6kg heavier than the old ones. So when I did the math I actually only gained 400g which can totally be explained by muscle.
    Also I see nutritionist on Friday. Hopefully some good eating to come
  • quzzdragon
    Options
    Wow, your gym goals are ambitious but definitely achievable. Especially with how motivated you are! Rest days are important so your body can heal and react to what you're doing to it. Maybe on those days just do some light stretches? Glad it's got you so pumped!

Can't wait to hear what the nutritionist says.

When is your partner's surgery?