2 eggs, beaten
One or Two handfuls of fresh baby spinach
1/2 tablespoon of brummel and brown low cal yogurt margarine
non-stick pan

Method;
1.Heat the margarine in the pan on medium heat until it melts
2. Add one or two handfuls of baby spinach
3. Briefly sauté the spinach
4. Pour your beaten eggs on top of the spinach, and with a spoon make sure the eggs and the spinach are evenly distributed across the pan
5. Cook for about five minutes or until the eggs become solid
6. Flip cook at bit more, and serve

Replies

• Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This omelet will keep you full and satisfied until lunch. I even make it for dinner sometimes. It is simple, quick, and satisfying. I hope you enjoy it!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    This is a bit different from my breakfast. Then again, I have a significantly higher calorie goal than most.

Today was:
    • 3 eggs
    • 6 oz canned ham
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 2 oz cheddar cheese

Method:
    1. slice ham and pan fry until outside is crispy (med heat)
    2. remove ham from pan and reduce heat to low
    3. put all butter into pan until it melts and makes a butter pool
    4. crack 3 eggs directly into butter pool
    5. spoon butter over the tops of the eggs until the white is cooked (made sunny-side up today)
    6. pour whole pan (eggs and butter) on to plate
    7. slice cheddar and put on plate

Then I dip the ham and cheddar into the yolks and eat them. The remaining egg bits get scooped up with the butter on the plate and consumed after the yolk is gone.

Total calories: ~1,100 and 6g of carbs -- which is way more carbs that I usually get, mostly from the ham.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Wow, @fit_goat, I like the sound of yours better. Margarine? Nope.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @Q_Is_Poison nice to hear you find that filling. Thxs for sharing. To be healthier I would substitute butter for the margarine. Mind you I would also want you add bacon :) so mine is more of a calorie hit.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm with you FIT_Goat. Sounds delicious!

I had a "breakfast" (at 2pm) of 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped up and mixed with 2-3 Tbsp mayo. Then a small handful of cashews as I was still needing to fill in the corners :)

Margarine? No thanks. And I don't even know what "yogurt margarine" is... Doesn't sound good. Pass the butter please!
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    If high calorie, high sodium, but low carb works for you, great! However, some of us don't have the luxury of low carb/high cal and must count both! Brummel and Brown Yogurt spread has zero carbs per tablespoon and 70 less calories per table spoon tan butter does. Calories DO count. Especially if you are a woman.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Fit_Goat your breakfast contains so many calories that if I prepared it, I could only have an apple for rest of the day and stick to my goals...
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    I don't believe that a hundred calorie tablespoon of butter is more healthy than a 35 calorie tablespoon of yogurt margarine. Butter is pure saturated fat and fattening beyond belief. That is why Adkins does not work long term for most women. After the initial water weight loss from cutting carbs, weight loss slows to a crawl because of the huge amount of calories consumed. Calories DO count.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Bacon is filled with nitrates which have been proven to be carcinogenic over time...
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    How can you possibly say that the extra calories in butter and bacon are more healthy? They are not. They may taste better, but I assure you they are not healthier choices.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    I am a 35 year old mother of four. I don't think calories count more for women than men. I find if I watch the carbs, the calories take care of themselves. And I'm curious how a yogurt spread made with nonfat yogurt and some kind of starch (look on the ingredients label) has "no carbs". Maybe zero g/serving, but there are carbs in yogurt (especially high in nonfat yogurt), and any kind of "starch" is, by definition, carbs.

Your omlet sounds like it would be a pretty good snack if you used butter! Could make a meal of it with an extra egg or two and some crumbled bacon or chopped ham... And swap butter for the margarine, of course ;)

Oh, and if low cal and low carb works for you, great, but many people find trying to do both is too difficult - mostly because it ends up being low fat and low carb at the same time, which is often disastrous. No issue counting calories, just make sure you are getting enough fat.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Medical science has proven you wrong, TFlag. Most people will not lose weight and keep it off on your plan. However, I grant you, they may thoroughly enjoy themselves.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    Saturated fats are not bad for you (in the context of a low carb diet). Highly processed fats, otoh, are inflammatory and usually way too high in omega 6. Yeah, 100 calories of real butter is much better for you than 35 cal of hydrogenated oil.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    I disagree. The higher calorie count of the butter could easily put someone like myself over their daily caloric allotment. That is not healthy.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Perhaps if you were arguing for olive oil, you might have a point. But even olive oil has too many calories for me...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Q! (BTW, what is Q, and why is it poison?)

You'll find a lot of distrust of conventional wisdom here. Mostly because a lot of us felt that following conventional wisdom got us fat.

Can you tell us why you're restricting carbs? Are you following any specific guidelines?
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs two and a half years ago, kept it off until my last pregnancy, and, as of this morning, have only six lbs of baby weight left (and baby is only six months old). Medical science says ALL "diets" have a high long term failure rate (something like 90%). I'm. It on a diet. This is just the way I eat.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    May I ask, @Q_Is_Poison - why are you eating low carb if you think fat is fattening? Low carb diets function on the premise that eating fat, while keeping carbs low, and getting adequate protein, helps your body burn fat. Fat is not fattening. I just prefer healthier fats - minimally processed fats like butter, lard, coconut oil, etc, as opposed to heavily processed "vegetable" oils, no matter how much sugar, oops, I mean, nonfat yogurt they mix with it...
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    I disagree. The higher calorie count of the butter could easily put someone like myself over their daily caloric allotment. That is not healthy.

So have a smaller amount of butter. Or less spinach.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Hello Wabmester,

I am mostly restricting calories although I do try to avoid starches because they don't keep me satiated for very long and they cause me to retain water. I tried Adkins and at first I loved it. But overall I found it unhealthy and unrealistic. I MUST have fresh vegetables on a daily basis or else my system does not work properly. I also must reduce my caloric intake or else I will not lose weight. I am a metabolically challenged 51 year old woman.

Adkins perpetuates an unhealthy illusion. Most of us can't have all the butter, meat, mayonnaise, and oil that we would like and still lose weight. I believe that moderation is key and that one must count calories if they truly wish to lose weight and keep it off.

Please read my profile for information about "Q".
This discussion has been closed.