Low cal, low carb, breakfast omelet/Less than 200 calories

Options

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Gotcha. I think you'll find a lot of people in the same boat here. There's even a thread just for issues specific to 50+ women.

Some people find that fat helps them reach satiety, and a lot of people find that the magic of low carb is that they can lose weight without consciously restricting calories due to that high satiety.

Personally, I felt that protein had a bigger effect on satiety for me, but we're all different. I just try to avoid carbs that trigger cravings and hunger for me, and veggies aren't a trigger for me, so I don't avoid them. That worked for me -- lost about 40lbs and I'm (mostly) keeping it off in maintenance.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am going to combine some of these comments into groups that are easier to respond to.
    I don't believe that a hundred calorie tablespoon of butter is more healthy than a 35 calorie tablespoon of yogurt margarine. Butter is pure saturated fat and fattening beyond belief. That is why Adkins does not work long term for most women. After the initial water weight loss from cutting carbs, weight loss slows to a crawl because of the huge amount of calories consumed. Calories DO count.

How can you possibly say that the extra calories in butter and bacon are more healthy? They are not. They may taste better, but I assure you they are not healthier choices.

Vegetable oils are the worst possible sources of fats in the modern diet. While they are linked with lower total cholesterol, they are also linked with higher cancer rates. They are inflammatory and may very well contribute to disease all by themselves. Further, the lower cholesterol isn't even proven to be beneficial. The HDL (the good one) takes a significant blow while the LDL only goes down a little. Eating those "saturated fats" might cause the total number to be higher, but it will result in better HDL and LDL ratios. In the end, you'll have more healthy cholesterol even though the total number looks worse.

Atkins works just fine for women long term and there is no reason to believe that saturated fat plays any role in weight gain. It is no more fattening than any other fat source, likely less fattening because there are fewer calories in saturated fats. I know many women eating very low carb for years/decades.
    If high calorie, high sodium, but low carb works for you, great! However, some of us don't have the luxury of low carb/high cal and must count both! Brummel and Brown Yogurt spread has zero carbs per tablespoon and 70 less calories per table spoon tan butter does. Calories DO count. Especially if you are a woman.

Fit_Goat your breakfast contains so many calories that if I prepared it, I could only have an apple for rest of the day and stick to my goals...

I, absolutely, acknowledge that. In fact, my first comment included the fact that my calorie goals are higher than most (2600-2800 when not trying to lose). Even when trying to lose, I am eating around 2300-2500 calories a day. For me, a couple 1000+ calorie meals a day is the way that I feel best. If I am not trying to lose weight, I get a third meal in or make the meals even larger.

I don't think anyone should be eating 1200 calories a day, not even tiny old women. But, I do know that most women here couldn't lose weight if they ate the same amount as I do.

Sodium is "meh." It is absolutely unessential. You don't need it for survival (at least not as a carnivore). You also can't really consume enough to be harmful, as your body regulates the amount and passes excess out through the urine. Does lower sodium lower blood pressure? Yes. But, the amount is negligible.
    Bacon is filled with nitrates which have been proven to be carcinogenic over time...

Proven is a very strong word. Strong enough to be wrong. There is no such proof in existence. There is an established relationship between eating processed meats (bacon, deli meats, sausages, etc.) and cancer, but the relationship is not proof that those cause cancer. There is a strong relationship between many things that don't have a causal relationship. The mechanism for the increased risk is still hotly debated and being investigated.

You don't need to eat bacon.

Heck, I didn't think your breakfast was that bad. I just commented on it because it was getting no love and I wanted to bump it. I think it would be fine, unchanged, for many here. Some might swap out parts (like the margarine for butter), but that's up to each individual. I don't eat vegetables, so I would swap out the plant foods (margarine and spinach), for meat products (bacon grease and cheese). That would bump the calories a little, but I could afford it. It would make a nice snack, at that size, for me.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wabmester, it sounds like we are on the same page.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    There are 3 calories in 1/2 cup of fresh spinach. If you are wedded to butter, then have it. But work it into your daily caloric allotment or else you will not lose weight. There are no "free foods" Butter is a high calorie, unhealthy choice for most of us. I would much rather have one more egg for seventy calories than I would a tablespoon of butter for one hundred calories.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Well, I'm hardly a tiny old woman...But I can certainly see that you have decided that you enjoy butter, bacon, cheese, ham, etc... And that you will argue that they are healthy in order to perpetuate your own inner system of denial. I take umbrage with the fact that you suggest this others because it is not healthy and it will not lead most people to success.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Q_Is_Poison I 100% agree with you on the phentermine. I was on it for just 2mths and it nearly destroyed my marriage and my sanity. I honestly cant even remember if I lost any weight in that time, as it is all still a terrible blur :cry:

As for the fat conversation. I lost the most amount of weight when I kept my carbs low and my fat high. I'm 43
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Fit_Goat most women and many men would be obese if they ate the way you do. You are obviously blessed with a very high metabolism.
  • randomventures
    randomventures Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Medical science has proven you wrong, TFlag. Most people will not lose weight and keep it off on your plan. However, I grant you, they may thoroughly enjoy themselves.

Hi Q_Is_Poison it's great you've found a way of eating that suits you, after all that's what it's all about. No matter what each individual WOE plan states, it's about refining it to suit the individual so they stick to it.

As for the spread, after looking at the ingredients, it's not something I'd eat or recommend. It's a water based spread with just under 8% fat coming from a vegetable oil blend. I prefer food to be more naturally occurring.

I'd love to see the medical research that you're referring to related to saturated fats.

Bacon and nitrates: generalising the amount depends on how the bacon is produced. Another reason for sourcing good quality foods. The body is pretty awesome at breaking down nitrates. Most of the nitrates found within the body are endogenous. Even in those who eat cured meat products!

I'm going to agree with you on the calories matter point, they do. What ever your macro breakdown is, if you go over your daily requirements, you're going to gain weight. However, I'm my 20 years of working clinically with mainly peri and post menopausal women assisting them to become fat adapted, on a LCHF plan, I've never seen one be able to eat over their daily allowance if they have stuck to the plan. Fat is just too satiating, they don't need to count calories. Now if you put a healthy dose of carbs into the LCHF mix it's another story. High fat and high carb is a disaster for both weight and metabolic function.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome Q. I had 3 eggs and 3 pieces of bacon today and I am a 53 year old woman with hypothyroidism. I tend to lose weight more slowly than most, even other women, and I do watch calories too, but know that eating high fat absolutely works for most of us here, even us ladies who are getting older.

There is a lot to comment on here in response to your concerns, but @FIT_Goat and others are doing a good job answering your concerns. I'm on my phone and haven't looked up your profile, so don't know anything about you. I know the concept of high fat takes some getting used to, just give it time. I personally would never eat fake foods such as margarine. Butter is natural and good for you, and eating it really does make your pants fall off ! If eating low carb appeals to you, consider that those carb calories must be replaced with something, and fat is a logical solution, and one which helps immensely with satiation and pleasure. A smaller quantity of delicious food suits me much better than spreading my calories too thinly with lower fat and poorer quality food substitutes.

Believe me, I've been there and done that and I'll never go back again to the way I used to eat. I lost 100 pounds a number of years ago eating what I thought was healthy at the time, having been brainwashed by conventional dietary advice.... Low cal and low fat weird carby foods, including things like margarine, low fat cheese and salad dressings, etc. I was miserable and unhealthy, and had to exercise for hours to maintain my weight loss. I gained all my weight back since this was not sustainable. I won't get into too much detail here. I have now lost 100 pounds again in what feels like an effortless and natural way. Just know that I feel great eating low carb high fat, better than ever, and I love eating real food full of saturated fat. I do eat nitrate free bacon btw.

When I first saw this post, I read it and thought the meal needed more fat and calories and for a moment I thought I was on the main forum by mistake. I didn't comment then, but now just want to say that we have all been there, and have a lot of experience with many different ways of eating. I was hesitant at first, but now I really enjoy being a "food rebel". Feel free to ask us anything. You will find a lot of support here, but we are also very passionate with what we believe in. Good luck!
  • FIT_Goat
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, I'm hardly a tiny old woman...But I can certainly see that you have decided that you enjoy butter, bacon, cheese, ham, etc... And that you will argue that they are healthy in order to perpetuate your own inner system of denial. I take umbrage with the fact that you suggest this others because it is not healthy and it will not lead most people to success.

I, too, struggled to accept these facts at first. So, I understand why these ideas are offensive to your current sensibilities.

I have never even mentioned bacon in this thread, aside from the comment about processed meat and the cancer link. I do enjoy it, but that's not something that I talked about at any time. I almost never eat it. I would guess that 95%+ of my diet is beef. The remaining percent will be shared by eggs, pork (including ham/bacon), lamb, chicken, seafood, dairy, etc. Bacon is a nice treat, but it's not an everyday food for me. I eat very little processed meat. Even the canned ham is an unusual part of my food.

The studies about "red meat" are fundamentally flawed. Because they lump red meat with processed meats to draw their conclusion. When you divide the meat types, you find no link with red meat.

There are more and more studies out showing that saturated fats aren't the cause of high cholesterol, that total blood cholesterol levels aren't the cause of heart disease, and just about everything else we've been told for 30+ years about fat is wrong. Actually, we knew even back then that the statements were likely wrong, but the government acted on them anyway.

If it is any consolation, my average total cholesterol as a vegetarian was in the mid 180s. My average total cholesterol as an omnivore was also around there (high 180s). My average total cholesterol as a carnivore is around 192. My trigs and HDL are also much improved. So, a year of nothing but meat and animal fats (composing 70-80% of my diet... 200+ grams a day) caused only improved numbers and no huge jump. I am a regular blood donor and have been for years, so I have numbers going back a very long time as to what my cholesterol happens to be. The best indicator? Exercise. The times when I exercise more or am in training, the lower it is. Not massively so, maybe down to 160s. That has a much bigger impact than anything I eat.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Read the article below entitled, "Butter is not back and other truths about saturated fat"

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-14030/butter-is-not-back-and-other-truths-about-
    saturated-fat.html

http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20150726/NEWS/150729591
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Qispoison, may I ask why you joined a LCHF group if you vehemently disagree with it's principles?
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    I dont disagree with cutting starches, but I think Adkins is unreasonable and unhealthy. I believe in moderation. A person can eat a low carb diet and not be on the Adkins bandwagon.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    It's Atkins by the way :wink:
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    I will pick up this thread later on... The gym is calling my name. Have a great night, everyone!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Q! I highly recommend reading through the Launch Pad. It provides a number of resources that support our stance that fats are not to be feared, even saturated fats. I also recommend checking out the Success Stories post, which has a number of people for whom this way of eating has worked and even saved lives and improved health. The archives have a number of threads on these types of discussions, as well, so feel free to peruse then using the "all discussions" link at the bottom of the thread list.

Also, butter is not pure saturated fat. It is actually about 40% saturated and 45% monounsaturated (oleic acid, in fact, the same found in olive oil). It also contains conjugated linoleic acid, butyric acid, and vitamins A, D, and K2, which are beneficial to health. So yes, while it may have a few more calories per tablespoon, it is arguably more healthy than most margarines.

While all of us here have varying levels of both carb and fat intake, and we run the gamut on types of food from carnivore to at least vegetarian, one thing that we all generally agree on -- because we've seen the research and seen the effects first hand -- is that there is no reason to fear any of the naturally occurring fats, and they all have a role in keeping us healthy.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Fit_Goat most women and many men would be obese if they ate the way you do. You are obviously blessed with a very high metabolism.

This is false. It feels like it should be true, but it isn't. I had a horrible metabolism. Many years ago, I went from 230 pounds down to 175 pounds by starving myself thin. I ate 1350 calories a day. I then tried to up my calories and found that anything above 1800 caused me to gain weight. I still was hungry all the time, but I kept my weight stable for about 8 months. Then I started eating more and the weight came rushing back on. Eating at 2000 calories a day, I gained the weight back at a good pace (25 pounds a year according to my old charts).

I am about the same weight now, but much older. I exercise less often and am less active. In all respects, I should have to eat even less than I was back then.

Metabolism is not fixed and calories out can change based on calories in. Eating the right 2600 calories causes my body to get to a healthy weight and then burn all excess. Eating 2000 calories of the wrong foods caused me to gain excess weight. I am actually losing right now averaging about 2300 calories a day.

Call it diet woo. Disbelieve it if you want. But, I have never been a naturally slim person or easily controlled my weight. Eating this way has made me healthier than I ever have been, plus I can eat a lot. I know many who experience the same thing. Most gain at first, while their starved body heals and ensures this isn't a temporary situation, but after a while of being consistent, it falls back to where it should be.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    One final work before I head out to the gym, I am not fundamentally opposed to butter if it provides comfort and solace to the folks who use it. However, I do believe that it is a high calorie food choice that could sabotage the caloric goals for many us. It is not a "free food" as Atkins would have us believe and it has virtually no health benefits. If you like it and are able to work it into your caloric goals, great. Most women would prefer something more solid such as a tossed salad with lemon juice, an apple, an egg, or even a fiber-one english muffin than a tablespoon of butter.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Butter is not healthy. You may like it and it may satisfy you but it is not healthy.
This discussion has been closed.