Lets get it started...

Options
Hi everyone!
I wanted to get the ball rolling by introducing myself! I'm 31 years old and I am fed up of being overweight obese! I have a 2 year old boy who is gorgeous and I have just dedicated everything to him. As a result I have let myself slide into an oblivion of takeaways, ice-cream and zero exercise. I have always struggled with my weight, but now at my heaviest of 13st 12lbs its time stop and start making some changes. I don't know about you but I have tried every diet under the sun from, weight watchers, slimming world, total food replacement diets, juicing diet...the list is endless. Now I am desperate to begin a new path, one that works, that can become part of my life where I don't have to throw money at it, without hassle or worry.

I researched the famous 5:2 diet and found, to my delight, a foray of success stories of continual weight loss - which.... STAYED OFF!

Ok, so I would love for people, who like myself, want to make that change to join this group where we can give each other the support and encouragement needed to keep us motivated.
These are my measurements as of today...

12/02/2016
Weight: 13st 12lbs
Height: 5' 2"
BMI: 35.5 (obese!!!!!)

Please help!! Im sinking in a sea of chocoalte and cake.
I'm lazy and need your support :blush:

Replies

• lmrfixit
    lmrfixit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ive joined !!!
  • triciagrey1955
    triciagrey1955 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I decided to give intermittent fasting a try, since I lost not a pound in 6 weeks with just low carb. I'm not doing the 5:2 plan (yet), but I have limited my window of eating to cut off at 1 pm, which means I will be in a fat burning state for many more hours per day. It seems to be working! If I get hungry at night I have bouillion and I know I can eat the next morning. This really works to keep calories where they should be- 1500-1800. I should say that my meal plan is LCHF (low carb high fat) and I think the high fat is what makes it possible to not be too hungry for the rest of the day after 1 pm.
  • missbrindley
    missbrindley Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's really good! ! Thanks for your comment triciagrey Today has been my first day of the 5:2 diet...today being a fast day.. not sure why I decided start on a Friday! Haha.. think it was more of a strike while the irons hot moment. Your diet sounds like a really good start for people who want to do the 5:2 but not jump straight into it..
    Have you lost any weight on fasting from 1pm ?
    :smiley: xx
  • missbrindley
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Imrfixit So glad you've joined!! When are you thinking of starting the 5:2 plan? What's your target weight loss for the month? So pleased that your taking the step to a slimmer healthier you...and il be doing it with u!! We can keep each other going. I'll post up some recipes for the fast days soon. Xx

• brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I started the 5:2 (or a variation of it) a couple weeks ago (actually more of a 4:3 [3 days fasting], but was too low on calories and not feeling well so pulled back to 5:2) as it seems to help me control the snacking better. I'm 5'5", F, CW: 159.8 as of this morning; target loss of 1lb/week. My eating goals are:
    M, F: 550 calories
    Tu, W, Sat: 1500
    Th, Sun: 2100
    This gives me an average intake of ~1400, which is my approximate BMR. I do not adjust these for exercise so my net is generally closer to average 11-1200. Occasionally I flex these based on schedule, i.e., last weekend I had a dinner with friends so made that my 2100 day and stayed lower on Sunday; this week I was fasting on Wednesday for religious reasons so I switched Monday and Wednesday targets so I didn't go crazy with too low calorie.

tricia: what's your start of calorie intake? i.e., are you doing a 16:8 or 18:6 IF? I played with that form of IF before with some success but went too aggressive, couldn't get an appropriate number of calories in and started having issues with too low calorie (<1000). Are you part of any other IF groups that are more general to IF or focused on that form of IF?

Mrseadon: Hang in there! the first few fasts are the hardest. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein and not wasting those precious few calories on food that won't sustain you.
  • missbrindley
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Brisingr, thanks for your reply. I am finding it hard today. .. every where I look there seems to be food!! But it is the first day...just feel so good I've finally started!
    What's the 18.6 IF is that fasting from 6pm to 6 am? I'm pretty new to the idea of fasting so I'm not down with the lingo.
    What I like about this diet is that it's flexible, so you can change your fasting days weekly depending on what's happening in your life. It's so straight forward too.

I must admit, I've drank lots of cup of teas today with semi skimmed milk. I have 169 cals left for today- going to have some sweetcorn soup for dinner. Trying to eek it out a little. It's great because whenever my determination wavered a little- ive stopped and realised, I can eat that frozen spaghetti Bol tomorrow!

I've bought some new 5.2 recipe books to help. Do you know how to add an image to these posts?

• brisingr86
    Options
    The 18:6 is a type of intermittent fasting (IF) where you fast for 18 hours and have a 6 hour eating window (i.e., 7am-1PM, or 2-8PM). Same everyday, but you pick hours that you want to eat your calories, i.e, if you like to go out to dinner with friends, you might pick later hours, but you don't eat in the morning and no late night snacking. Because of hormonal stuff, I think I read that women shouldn't do less than an 8 hour eating window...I could be mis-remembering, but I know there were notes about women needing to be more cautious about how they managed IF regimens.

When I was doing 18:6, I was part of a general IF group that had a lot of good information about the different varieties of IF. So I picked up a lot of info there. I left the group when I purged group memberships that I wasn't active in, since I wasn't doing any form of IF at the time.

For adding image, it's the icon that looks like a page with the corner folded down.
  • brisingr86
    Options
    Seems like a few people are just starting with 5:2 or another IF regimen. This page had lots of info/links to info:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/599982/intermittent-fasting-faq#latest
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the 5:2, but I'm really not sure I can go a day on 500 calories!
  • brisingr86
    Options
    Dotti, it's not always as hard as it sounds, but maybe start just cutting to 700 or 600 on fast days, then if you get used to those fasts, you can possibly drop down to 500? Good luck finding what works for you.
  • missbrindley
    Options
    Hi dotti1121 Its actually easier than it sounds. My first day was today and it hasn't bothered me that much. The time I struggle with the most is around tea time - or snacking after tea. What i am going to try and do is have a healthy breakfast around 150 cals, then not eat until dinner time which will leave me with enough calories to enjoy a healthy meal with my family.
  • missbrindley
    Options
    brisingr86 - thanks for that link, I've just watched the 'horizan' episode on the 5-2 fasting diet and it was really interesting on the positive impact it has on your health and ageing...in addition to weight loss.
  • denelifet
    denelifet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i'm in! I started the 5:2 diet appx 5 weeks ago....and i've lost a pound a week on average.

I'm an avid weight lifter at the gym so using my body as a guinea pig to see what and how it will react....interesting so far....

I'll admit to not being able to do 500 calories....my calories run between 600-800 on fasting days. On non-fasting days i eat between 2300-3000+ calories. lol....yes, i like to eat....

But again....i lift in the gym and i lift very heavy.....i try to do cardio 2x a week.....slow, steady walk on the dreadmill at various diff inclines to help alleviate the boredom.

I'm 5'10"
    SW: 185 lbs
    CW 180 lbs
    Goal weight is 165 lbs
    USA Size 12 with goal size of 8

At the moment....i'm going to attempt to either cut back on my calories on non-fasting days and see what happens the next couple weeks or add in more cardio....such decisions....lol

I have also noticed that altho the scale is slowly moving....i have been able to fit into a couple shirts quite nicely that i've not been able to wear cause they were too tight...small changes...

• slowandsteady44
    slowandsteady44 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    hey im starting the 5 2 diet because i really do not want to count calories every day for months on end, but two days a week i can do!
    i think just exercising portion control and trying to be moderately sensible on the other days should be ok, plus exercise...
    feel free to add me and we can support eachother :)

cw: 168 gw: 140

i have around 30 pounds to lose! we can do this!
  • missbrindley
    Options
    Slow and steady that sounds like a plan!! We can keep each other motivated :smiley:
  • brisingr86
    Options
    hey im starting the 5 2 diet because i really do not want to count calories every day for months on end, but two days a week i can do!
    i think just exercising portion control and trying to be moderately sensible on the other days should be ok, plus exercise...

Be VERY conscious of that portion control and sensibility on non-fast days. You can easily overeat on your non-fast days, especially after a fast day, and you won't see progress. Some people are able to not count and do fine, but I've always had trouble whenever I'm not logging. You still have to be at a deficit to lose weight. If you haven't been logging long, it may be a good idea to still log on your non-fast days or maybe just the non-fast days right after a fast, to check that you're not eating at a level that will negate the fast over the week. Good luck!
  • missbrindley
    Options
    That's really good advice... Although, I find (rarely) that after a fast I'm not as hungry as I thought I'd be. I haven't had that slice of cake I fancied the day before or I've not had a ton of toast. My choices seem to be healthier even on a subconscious level.
    But, I'm still going to log on non fast days as brisingr advises.
  • denelifet
    denelifet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i also log on non-fast days....i'm constantly amazed at what foods add up on calories and such...especially when eating out!!! holy cow!!!
  • yelsdod
    yelsdod Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I thought I would give it a go. I have been very surprised how this works. My first fast day was a bit over 600 calories but my second one was much better. I think this is a really good way to find out where high calories hide. I thought I would be weak, hungry and cross but I gave it a go anyway. I think this is the way for me to go, as I can do 2 days a week without too much temptation. I now know and understand what hunger really is! LOL. But do you know the best thing about this method? I will tell you, the following day you know that you are genuinely hungry, and it isnt just boredom or flavour you are craving. It has been an education so far. I am on week 3.
  • jenjenjennifer24
    Options
    Hi Im Jen and I have been non stop dieting for a year but since I started 5:2 I actually see results! I have 11 to lose total, I am down 5 and I am on this plan about 2 weeks. I lost 7 but over ate on non fast days so i gained 2 back but Now I see what works and what doesnt so I am back on track.
    Start weight:136
    Goal weight 125
    Current weight 131.5