Welcome

Options

Replies

• maddenman2000
    maddenman2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm David. I've been dealing with eating disorders for almost 6 years now. I was anorexic for a short while before it turning into bulimia. I had lost about 40lbs at the time and at a normal weight for the first time, because of this my self-confidence soared and I enrolled in college. My purging (by means of exercise) stopped since I was busy with school and slowly BED started, my self confidence grumbled, I started skipping classes then dropping out altogether. I gained all the weight I lost within the next year and over the next 4 years gained 60lbs. I've tried a few ways of trying to control my eating habits but nothing really sticked, I did start weight training two days ago and so far my eating is gotten much better, so I'm have my fingers crossed.

Completely forgot about groups on here so decided to search for any support groups for BED/eating disorders so here I am. Feel free to add me as a friend, I'll do my best to try to help anyone out with getting better.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I started this year thinking I needed to lose some weight, but I've realized my main goal is overcoming binge eating disorder. I've been in denial about it my whole life because I'm not obese. I've been able to manage the bad effects of my binging by being very active, and eating a very healthy diet (other than the binging). Last quarter of last year the binging got pretty bad and I had to face face that something had to happen to fix it. The calories and weight are important to me, but they are really symptoms of the binging and compulsive overeating. I need to focus on that. My goal is to overcome those by the end of the year. I am committing to do my best to eat only when my body needs food and stop when comfortably full for the rest of the year. Eating when my body doesn't need fuel is one of the biggest binge triggers for me. For some reason, eating when I'm not hungry makes me want to eat more and more!
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Welcome @robingmurphy, I was a healthy weight for most of my life, except when I was in my late teens I was very underweight from some issues caused by my baby momma. I maintained a decent weight until my wife got pregnant with our son and I decided to gain pregnancy weight with her and gained close to 40 pounds, then we lost the weight, then a couple years later she got pregnant again and I gained weight with her. The problem was this time I could not stop gaining the weight, and this started my binge cycles. At the time I did not know what Binge Eating was and just thought I really like sweet treats, and eating until it hurt.

I do hope you find help and support here, this is turning into a pretty diverse group of men and women of all ages.
  • mweckler
    Options
    @maddenman2000 welcome to the group. I am glad you found us, I am sorry to hear about the struggles and confidence issues that came with them as well. I am glad to see you are weight training and that it is helping some.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Suzanne, I'm 43 and have struggled with my body image and disordered eating for as long as I can remember. I have been given a diagnosis of Bulimia, but I typically don't have a binge prior to purging. I was able to get to my lowest weight (119 lbs, 5'7") about 3 years ago and I'm determined to get there again.

I was wondering tonight, am I ever going to be able to accept my body? Recently my purging has decreased, but I think it's because I've been so careful with calorie counting and exercising. I noticed I become anxious on my rest days. When I do over eat (what I perceive as over eating), I can't stand myself, I feel like I've ruined everything (re: progress I've made), and I vow to not let it happen again. But it does.

I'm here if anyone would like support. I know that this is not a healthy way to live.
  • FreeVeg
    FreeVeg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am struggling with my eating since I was 13. Binge eating, restricting is my daily struggle. Trying to find balance. I do know that nutrition is not my main problem, but it is in my head.Recently started nutrition course, so I can say that I technically do know a lot about eating right, nutrients, macros etc, etc. and whatever you can only imagine. But unfortunately, still haven't found the way to fight my ED demons. I haven't been diagnosed officially, probably because in the place I come from these issues are not taken seriously, all advice you can get is - just don't eat, drink water, go for walk etc...etc...But ...then I find myself locked in the room with binge foods,hiding food in a closet so I can munch on it and other destructive behaviour. And then comes restrictive phase....There is no happiness - nor with food nor without. I am vegan, trying to eat clean and more fresh foods,avoiding high sugar, highly processed foods.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Welcome @suzely0530 and @FreeVeg I am glad you found this group. Suzanne body image is something a lot of people struggle with, I know as a man it is not talked about but I suffered from body image issues most of my life, I never had the 6 packs all my other friends did. As I got older it still bothered me. But since taking control of my issues and getting professional help and getting on medication I have noticed it does not bother me any more. I used to even not like taking my shirt off in my own fenced in back yard or wear clothing that was not baggy or loose. They self loathing from eating "too" much is a hard one to overcome, but learning to let go and accept that each day is going to be different, and each day is a new set of challenges is a really hard thing to accept. Sometimes just beating ourselves up over it is the easier path to take. But I started this group for help and support, so I hope you can find that here, and that you can start to gain control of your issues as well.

@FreeVeg, you said you have not gotten a diagnosis for the potential ED because of where you come from, and the fact that they do not take it seriously. We have people from all over the country in this group so maybe if you share where you are from you may find someone in the same area who may be able to recommend a doctor who you could talk to, or I will see if I can ask a few people I know for recommendations for your area, if they know of any. I am not a health care professional but I know a couple people who are.
  • drpsamin
    drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for creating this group.
    My name is Parsa. I am 27 years old, happily married and a mom of a cheerful 11 month old daughter.
    My binge eating started when I was young....I can't remember exactly when.
    I was overweight as a child and lost large amount of weight when I was 12-13 through food restriction. The weight crept back up due to binging...probably was around 78kg when I was 18. Lost this weight and was down to 63kg through diet and exercise..only to gain it back again 2 years later. Then I lost it again by workout and diet...and back to 65kg....gained it back in 1 year....then back to diet and exersise ...back to 63kg...this was in 2012. In 2012 I got a knee injury and stopped working out. I've been binging since 2013. When I fell pregnant in 2014 I was around 77kg....after I gave birth my weight was 85kg. I've dieted and worked out to now be 71kg. I need to lose around 5-6kg to be at my happy weight of 65kg.

Honestly I'm not really sure what's my trigger. Obv stress and happiness trigers binging but I'm not even sure....I definitely need therapy to figure this out. I've been 'clean'= aka no binge for last 3-4 months. I feel great, but I'm scared to relapse.

I've recently come clean about this to my husband. However he doesnt seem to understand how serious this really is.

Please add me on MFP if you want support ....:) nice to meet u all.
  • FreeVeg
    FreeVeg Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@mweckler ,well, I am originally from Latvia, just recently moved to the UK, so I hope that I will find some help. I don't have full healthcare coverage here, so, for now, I can look for some support group, have been thinking about OA, as I've found that they have a group in London.
  • shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to have found this group!

I have been struggling with food issues since I was about 13. I had anorexia throughout high school, and that morphed into BED in college. I have somehow managed to maintain (and even lose) weight at times, even with BED. MFP has definitely helped me stick to a "normal" eating pattern some of the time- I enjoy eating healthy foods and working out-but as soon as I am alone/have nothing to do, the overwhelming urge to binge strikes. I've never tracked a binge, but I'd estimate them to be around 6k, sometimes more depending on what foods are laying around.

I feel like I've tried every trick in the book to get this under control, but nothing seems to work. I've eaten at all ranges of calories and gone from no exercise to too much of it, and nothing mitigates the urge I have to binge. I am sick and tired of having such an unhealthy relationship with food, and I know that down the road this is going to negatively affect my health (if it hasn't already). 2016 has to be the year this changes!
  • tinytomato12
    tinytomato12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been lurking here for awhile, but finally got the courage to post here. I have not been diagnosed by a professional, but I am quite sure that I suffer from BED.

I am 25 years old and I have been struggling with this disorder since I was 15 or 16 years old. I have always been a relatively healthy weight but in high school I began restricting and purging for a short period which led to binging. The purging went away and the restrictive behaviors diminished, but the binging remained. I will admit that my BED is soooo much better than it was in high school. I used to binge every single night and go to school feeling like crap. Now my binges are more infrequent and much less intense (although I feel like more recently my binges are pretty big where I feel so sick and full after they end). But it still stresses me out that these behaviors remain. Now, on average I usually binge once a week and I definitely overeat from bordem and stress.

I am proud of myself for getting this disorder relatively under control, but I really want to be free of it completely. Some days I have no urges whatsoever and others I just can't stop eating. I also feel like I'm just constantly thinking about food, which is very annoying. I do not have problems with my weight, but I feel like that's because I'm still young and have a very active life which counteracts the binging. As I get older and my metabolism changes this probably will not be the case.

I am currently focusing on trying to make my relationship with food a healthy one. This means I am allowing myself to eat what I want and practicing intuitive eating. I am trying to eat my food more mindfully, drink more water, and pick up exercise for its health benefits.

I am a super private person so posting this makes me quite nervous. But I have read all the posts here and everyone's story and it makes me feel good to know I am not alone. I can relate to so many of these stories. I hope that opening up to others will help me continue to fight this disorder.

Cheers!
  • allisonkavin
    allisonkavin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I have struggled with binge eating for the past 7 years. I have had a few short reprieves, where I didn't binge for at the longest 45 days. The binge eating has recently gotten worse, and is always accompanied by deep depression. Often my binges will last at least 2 days, and often 3-4 days. I recently started to use MFP to at least track my binges and have a record of them. Additionally, trying to just eat "normally" and also more healthy, while not trying to diet too much, because I know strict dieting can lead me straight into a binge.

Hoping for some support and accountability with this group!

Allison
  • bschiks
    bschiks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Bettina, I'm 42 and a stay-at-home-mother of two children.
    My BED started at a very early age, because my mother was constantly trying to lose weight when I grew up and like me, she was struggling with a vicious circle of restricting and bingeing.
    I remember that I used to be able to have sweets in my room and eat only little amounts every now and then, but then my parents started to go out in the evenings, leaving my sister and me at home for two hours tops, and us to do the only thing we weren't allowed at that time: eating too many sweets.
    I don't want to blame my parents here, it might have happened anyway, some way or other, but that's when it started.

I'm quite heavy set, with a BMI of 23 still in a healthy range but since there is an aesthetic pressure towards being slim, I'm always trying to get rid of some weight.
    In the past, I managed to lose 15 kg by running a lot and eating a low carb diet, but it was too much pressure and too few calories to keep up for too long. And of course, I restricted for too long not to get the urge to make up for all these lost calories again.

One of my biggest challenges and at the same time biggest advantages is that I am allergic to wheat. It became a second nature to decline cakes and sweet things in public and to make healthy choices. This way it mostly feels like a blessing, because I know that I feel better after eating some fruit than after a highly processed regular cookie. For my family, I buy these things, fully aware that they are for them and not for me and often, when it comes to have a cup of tea with a cookie, I just sit there with my tea. Mostly I don't mind, but there are times when I feel sorry for myself, that I deserve a treat and start to raid the cabinets. And this is where things become dangerous, because when nothing is there, I eat the "forbidden" cookie or the crispy chocolate, that was supposed to be safe from me....

I know that I should treat myself regularly with something nice, not too much, but something I enjoy to not feel deprived and this is why I want to log my meals with this app again every day. Plan my meals, make time for them and for treats and give myself permission to enjoy the things that I really like - and that are good for me.
    I hope that by writing this and finding like minded people, this can finally happen.

Thanks for adding me to this group!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Not officially diagnosed, but meet a lot of the criteria that are listed for it. I've been struggling with it for long time, but it has worsened in the last year. I had a significant weight loss after type 2 diabetes diagnosis, but I have yo yo'd the same 25 lbs multiple times over the last year. I eat secretly and in large portions. I sat down with my husband and talked about what I'm feeling and he is being super supportive. I'm not sure if I will seek medical treatment or not yet. I've been in therapy before and benefited from it, but I'm just not sure if I'm ready to commit the time and money for it. I also have ADD and lurking here I see some of you take vyvanse. I used that for a couple years, but stopped when I was pregnant with my son, he's almost five. I do take Zoloft for anxiety, only 50mg dose though. I'm not sure what my goal is here. I'm just ready to stop and trying to think about ways to deflect a binge when the seed appears in my mind.
  • mweckler
    Options
    @shinycrazy Hello and welcome and thank you for sharing. Some people have been diagnosed others just come here for support and help. No one can tell you what the right thing to do is as far as seeking treatment only you can make that choice. I just know for myself I was at the lowest point in my life, the heaviest weight I ever was at, and more depressed than I had been in 20 years. So I forced myself to get help, and it was the greatest thing I had ever done.

I was prescribed Vyvanse for my Binge Eating as well as my ADD, and it really helped me, and I lost about 35 pounds without trying. But over time the effectiveness of Vyvanse started to wear off, so I have had to supplement it with other medications to help me be able to maintain focus, and help stave off binge cycles.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi all....I've been dieting most of my life with limited long lasting success:
    lost 75, put 60 back on
    lost 30 put back on 30
    Talked to a doctor about my binge eating and she prescribed 30mg of VyVanse....I really like it so far.
  • chr1st1na6464
    chr1st1na6464 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hola. I'm Christina & am losing the battle with my binge eating disorder. Growing up my movie star beautiful parents were obsessed with food. At one point, my dad had manorexia. Every single bite of food that I took was scrutinized, evaluated, and analyzed. My bite was too big, I was chewing incorrectly, I was eating too much, I was going to become fat. Even though I wasn't overweight, I was put on a diet at age 12. My father would make faces at me whenever he would see me eating--blowing his cheeks up with air to imply that I was going to be fat. As a child I dreamed of a paradise in which my bedroom was full to the very top of the ceiling with food. I would be able to eat whatever I wanted. The beginning of a life long binge eating disorder that has now taken me to a weight of 381 pounds. I am now 53 years old and at ROCK BOTTOM. I spend my days crying and dreading going out into the world. A few months ago I was at CVS. As I was walking in, an attractive man, probably in his 30's, was passing me, stopped, and said, "WHOOOOOOOAAAAAA!" very loudly--everyone in the pharmacy heard him. Yet, yes--I am now a freak of nature. I find it interesting that binge eating is under represented here. Now that this order has been officially recognized by the medical community--I wonder if that will change.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    an0nemus wrote: »
    Hi all....I've been dieting most of my life with limited long lasting success:
    lost 75, put 60 back on
    lost 30 put back on 30
    Talked to a doctor about my binge eating and she prescribed 30mg of VyVanse....I really like it so far.

Since my original post I've went from 241 to 214.8.....pretty happy still
  • kimmykim92
    kimmykim92 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to the group. I have struggled with with binge eating and some bulimia for years now. I started out in high school on weightweighters, and lost 100+ lbs by over-restricting what I was eating and looking back I was basically just starving all the time. I went to university away from home for two years, then transferred to a university closer to home. When I moved closer to home I started binge eating really bad because all of a sudden I had more access to food at home and gained back 100+ lbs. I recently went back onto weightwatchers but decided it was a really restrictive diet and not realistic for the lifestyle change I wanted. I have now joined fitnesspal but I am finding it really hard to balance recovery and body positivity (loving myself the way I am) with losing weight. I'm trying to being mindful about what I eat and engage in more intuitive eating, within the calories outlined by fitnesspal, but my eating feels really out of control right now.

If anyone has any advice or positivity to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • iotterbeinbed
    iotterbeinbed Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm not sure if this group is still active or not, but I'd like to participate!

My name is Jo, and I'm a 27-year old BSN student. I binged quite a bit when I was in my teens and early 20s. In 2013, I found MFP and began tracking. Over a couple years, I went from 144 to 120. Made more slow progress, and I was down to 110 in December 2016. Probably not a healthy, sustainable weight for my height (5'3.75). I gained some weight and was happy between 116-120. I'm not sure what happened, but my appetite start increasing, I started craving EVERYTHING, and I started to binge eat again, especially at night. I've gained 50 pounds since December 2016. I joined an accountability group on MFP a week ago, and that has been helping, but I wanted to find a second group to join that focused on binge eating. =) If anyone wants to add me, feel free to! I'm trying to be honest in my calorie tracking!