Lisa's OMAD log

Options
psychRN83
psychRN83 Posts: 71 Member
I am doing protein powder in the AM and lunch until I my blood sugar stabilizes along with all my zero calorie fluids. I know the shakes will eventually pass as I get used to the new way of eating. I also recently started a new job and I do not think they would appreciate if I passed out on my new patients midmorning;-) LOL.

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I've also read that eating mct (medium chain triglycerides) like coconut oil will provide immediate ketones your body can burn as fuel and help you in your adjustment without spiking insulin. I've never tried this.
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the board!
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    good luck for your first week Lisa!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    psychRN83 wrote: »
    I am doing protein powder in the AM and lunch until I my blood sugar stabilizes along with all my zero calorie fluids. I know the shakes will eventually pass as I get used to the new way of eating. I also recently started a new job and I do not think they would appreciate if I passed out on my new patients midmorning;-) LOL.

It is harder for some to endure "the shakes" at first. One's own blood sugar is one of the most formidable opponents of one's own weight loss.

Your body will eventually come around.
  • psychRN83
    Options
    Thanks all! Last night's meal was Perkin's new shrimp and pasta meal. We went out to eat to celebrate my daughter's bball win. She scored 18 points for her team! I did add some coconut oil today to my shake. I am also trying to figure out how to add pictures of my food from my android phone to my thread!
  • psychRN83
    Options
    Coconut oil in my protein shakes helped immensely with cravings today. Thanks Blambo! My office has pharm reps come in every tuesday and thursday and bring the whole office food. I usually hide from them anyway because I don't want to be caught up in hearing their speeches about brand new medications ( brand names are super expensive for the patients and insurance companies deny coverage a lot) Then the office smells yummy til the end of the day and I end up giving into a craving for leftovers in the fridge an hour later. Today was a Pizza Day and I didn't have any urge to grab leftover food!
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Good job, I can never resist pizza.
  • blambo61
    Options
    I just bought some coconut oil and am going to try it a little before workouts. It should give me some energy and not spike my insulin so as not to turn off fat metabolism. High insulin turns off fat metabolism is what I've been reading.

There is one more thing I'm a little intetested in. That is UCAN super starch. It is a very large carb molecule that doesn't raise insulin much so will replenish glycogen stores but not turn off fat metabolism. High intensity anerobic work needs glucose fuel from what I've read. I bonk weight lifting sometimes and I think this could help. I can do cardio for a long time if I stay aerobic while fasted and don't need help doing that. The stuff is expensive though. I don't think any of this stuff is required but may help.
  • psychRN83
    Options
    Dinner thursday was fish, peas, a little brown rice and spinach salad. Superstarch sounds interesting. Friday was my off day this week. Meatloaf and homeade stuffed mushrooms for lunch and pizza for dinner.
  • blambo61
    Options
    That superstarch is very expensive. I'm only interested in it for doing high level anerobic weight lifting where I can bonk while fasted (I don't bonk doing lower level aerobic cardio while fasting). Other than that I don't see a need for the stuff. I'm looking for alternates that will not cause an insulin response but still give me a few carbs that I can use right before weight lifting. I'm not suggesting anyone use this stuff except for the reason I mentioned or if you are a very long endurance athlete.

Also on the coconut oil. I think to get transitioned it would be good but I would try to get away from it for long term because I think we want our fat to provide the keytones for fuel and not something else. Might be justified occasionally also if getting super hungry during a fast so as not to shut off fat utilization by eating something that is going to raise glucose more.
  • psychRN83
    Options
    Good point on the coconut!! My water tastes nasty today. It must be time to change my Brita filter at home!
  • psychRN83
    Options
  • psychRN83
    Options
    j8opahq29n8t.jpg

Tonight's dinner. Seasoned hamburger with moz cheese, tator tots, green beans, spinach salad with greek yogurt dressing.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Excellent. I was eating absolute junk when I started. Everyone here is starting out healthier than I did, trust me!
  • blambo61
    Options
    That is some good looking food!
  • psychRN83
    Options
    Last night's dinner was Pad Thai. Yum!! Tonight is chicken corn soup.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    I haven't had tater tots in nearly a year!!!
  • psychRN83
    Options
    We are food siblings Newmeadow!
  • psychRN83
    Options
    I love tator tots!
  • psychRN83
    Options
    Dinner last night was a soft taco, brown rice, and a spinach salad with italian dressing. I forgot to take a picture because my daughter was pretending to be a police officer and kept issuing me citations for talking to loudly at dinner:-)