Paleo/Primal Breakfasts that aren't Meat and Eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    One whole avocado with yoghurt over. Or a whole avocado sprinkled with seeds. Avocado with blueberries. (I like avocado!)

Cherry tomatoes and cheese.

No breakfast.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I also feel much better when I don't eat breakfast (plus I get to sleep in an extra half hour in the mornings). I feel sharp and clear, and it seems like I'm much more productive in the mornings when I don't eat until noon. It also gives my body a little extra time to burn body fat while my hormones are primed for it.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I wasn't eating breakfast for several days in a row but found that it made it too hard to get enough calories in. If I ate at noon or after, I wouldn't be hungry in the evening. (Before paleo I never would have been able to skip dinner and breakfast and still feel fine...) So I adjusted and started eating "lunch" (or would you call it brunch?) between 10 and 11, which means I can manage to eat an evening meal as well. I still hit below 1,000 calories several days this week, (and a couple of times just filled in extra calories with a spoonful or two of coconut oil) so I need to be more mindful of adding more carbs and protein to my meals.

I have never had a problem with not eating enough, before. I just can't get over this.

Anyhow, by 10am it doesn't seem so odd to me to be eating lunch-type food like chicken salad or grilled meat and veggies.

I still insist that our teens (who are not paleo) eat *something* when they get up -- often yogurt, or I'll make them GF french toast or muffins or scrambled eggs just to get them to eat, because I don't want the snappishness from low blood sugars.

Would love for them to go paleo or primal, but one of them has no extra weight, as a matter of fact, is underweight for her height, and struggles to eat. Not anorexic, just dealing with what is probably years of gut damage from undiagnosed celiac. She just stopped eating gluten a year ago. I'm afraid to eliminate any of the foods she's currently eating -- I'm not sure she could make up enough calories from yams and meat. She fills up so quickly when she eats meat/fat anyhow and when she's full she doesn't want to eat (I have become acquainted with that feeling since going paleo). The GF starches are mainly to pad her calorie count.

As for the other teen, she's eating me out of house and home. I shudder to imagine the cost if she went paleo.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I wasn't eating breakfast for several days in a row but found that it made it too hard to get enough calories in. If I ate at noon or after, I wouldn't be hungry in the evening. (Before paleo I never would have been able to skip dinner and breakfast and still feel fine...) So I adjusted and started eating "lunch" (or would you call it brunch?) between 10 and 11, which means I can manage to eat an evening meal as well. I still hit below 1,000 calories several days this week, (and a couple of times just filled in extra calories with a spoonful or two of coconut oil) so I need to be more mindful of adding more carbs and protein to my meals.

I have never had a problem with not eating enough, before. I just can't get over this.

Anyhow, by 10am it doesn't seem so odd to me to be eating lunch-type food like chicken salad or grilled meat and veggies.

I still insist that our teens (who are not paleo) eat *something* when they get up -- often yogurt, or I'll make them GF french toast or muffins or scrambled eggs just to get them to eat, because I don't want the snappishness from low blood sugars.

Would love for them to go paleo or primal, but one of them has no extra weight, as a matter of fact, is underweight for her height, and struggles to eat. Not anorexic, just dealing with what is probably years of gut damage from undiagnosed celiac. She just stopped eating gluten a year ago. I'm afraid to eliminate any of the foods she's currently eating -- I'm not sure she could make up enough calories from yams and meat. She fills up so quickly when she eats meat/fat anyhow and when she's full she doesn't want to eat (I have become acquainted with that feeling since going paleo). The GF starches are mainly to pad her calorie count.

As for the other teen, she's eating me out of house and home. I shudder to imagine the cost if she went paleo.

Your second teen might not eat you out of house and home if s/he's eating paleo. Fat's pure energy and satiating, so it might be worth trying. And potatoes tend to be pretty cheap, too. ;)
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    paleo pumpkin pancakes are great! We do about 2 cups of pumpkin, 6 eggs, tbsp honey, 1/2tsp baking soda, and either pumpkin spice or cinnamon/nutmeg. Just make sure they brown a bit before you flip them. You can add blueberries in them, or top with strawberries, i like adding a bit of honey and cinnamon on time. SO good!

omg that sounds amazing. I'm definitely trying this!