Need help making a plan

Options
7aneena
7aneena Posts: 146 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Hello everyone,
I am new here so bare with me if this is a little redundant
I have been doing a form of LCD (wild diet) for a little over 2 weeks now and in the first 4 or 5 days I lost almost 3 lbs and has been it since then. My weigh fluctuates and today it was showing no loss which sometimes happens to me if I weigh the day after I work out- is this common or normal?

Anyway, I am almost 36 154 cm (~5 ft) tall and I weigh 77.5 kg (171lbs) on a good day, LBM is around 52 kg (115lbs)
I was not tracking my carb intake in that period, I was going by the guidelines of the diet which is not strict, it gives a range of 50-100g of carbs so in that 2 weeks span I had a total of 4 white sweet potatoes and I made 1 batch of paleo cookies (10 cookies, 13g carb per cookie) and I did have 2-3 dark chocolate (70%) squares almost daily.
I tracked my carb intake for 3 days and I average around 50g which according to http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ allows for 80g protein and 95g fat for a total of 1375 calories per day.
I also wanted to add that I don't normally have breakfast since I sleep at 4-5 am and wake up around noon- 1 pm and have my lunch around 3 pm so I end up eating 2 meals that sum up to ~100 g protein

My questions are
  1. Can you identify things I am doing incorrectly that prevents or slows down weight loss?
  2. Is there anyone here that may have similar stats and had a successful strategy to share?
  3. Is eating below recommended fat g slows fat loss? my avg is 70g
  4. Knowing what you know about weigh loss and LCD, what sort of LCD plan would you make for someone with my stats

Thank you

Replies

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can't see that you're doing anything wrong. Many people report a big loss in week one followed by a week or two when they lose little or nothing. This is the stage where you need to be patient, if you can stick with the plan through the next couple of weeks you should start to see your weight beginning to drop again. Good luck :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think you've done your homework quite well.
    It's INCREDIBLY common to have a big slow down once you get started. The weight will fluctuate wildly! Don't let it get to you.
    It sounds like you understand what to do pretty well. Stay under your carb goal, get enough protein for your body and get enough fat to be healthy but not too much to blow through 5000 calories. lol
    Overall, if you're eating good, real food, and following those guidelines, you won't have to worry about counting calories as long as you don't have a tendency to allow yourself to eat when not hungry. And this is coming from a "calorie counter" myself. But, I sometimes feel I need to keep myself in check. :wink:
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think much of this depends on what feels right to you. Fat loss is painstakingly slow, which is why you either need to stop weighing yourself or accept that your success is not just a number.

How you eat needs to be sustainable for you long term. Some folks are Low Carb, some are Low Carb/High Fat, some are Ketogenic. I have been all three and in 18 months have ended up Ketogenic. To oversimplify, you either burn sugar for energy or fat. A Ketogenic person burns fat, because they have "rewired" their body to do so because they keep their carbs to 20g or less. I love eating this way, but it took time for me to be comfortable giving up carbs. The question you ask about eating below a certain range of fat and having it slow weight loss doesn't really have to do with the fat as much as it has to do with the carbs you are eating instead of the fat. However, if you eat more fat you will be much more satisfied.

I think your macros look fine. If you take your carbs down, increase your fat. Be patient. Drink water. You are welcome to add me as a friend and check out what I eat (I don't go a day without avocados or coconut oil!).

There is so much great information out there on why carbs (sugar) are poison. I love this man's video on You Tube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h6aMN6NLOTQ

Minimizing carbs and increasing fat truly takes away cravings. The scale will move. Just be patient and ask more questions!

Best,
    Erin
  • 7aneena
    Options
    Thank you all and than you Erin for that video, although I had a reasonable understanding on the LCD, it did clarify some things that I did not know.

I do have another question, what do you do to increase your fat intake (I don't eat bacon or pork products)? I usually use 2-3 Tbsp of butter for cooking, butter makes everything better but it only accounts for 1/4-1/3 of my fat macro allowance
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Avocados and coconut oil! If you look at the medical benefits of coconut oil, you will be amazed. Many people put theirs in coffee and I do that on occasion. However, I prefer to melt the coconut oil and add Stevia or swerve sweetener as well as some unsweetened cocoa powder. I then measure 1 tablespoon into each section of my mini muffin pan and freeze it. After about 30 minutes, I pop them out and put them in a baggie that I keep in my freezer. I eat a minimum of two a day – they satisfy any urge I have for a treat, and the coconut oil is so good for me that I feel good eating it! I also eat cheese and when I have a salad, I go for Caesar or blue cheese dressing.

I also put heavy whipping cream in my coffee and use full fat mayonnaise in deviled eggs for egg salad or as a dip for artichokes.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I'm a big fan of coconut oil and MCT oil. Also the other things @erinseattle mentioned.
    I don't do sweet stuff myself due to major sugar cravings it gives me, but I love it in my coffee with butter. I start my day off every day with about 40g fat from MCT, butter and a little from my krill oil.
    The rest of the day I don't have to specifically try to get more fat then, it just always ends up right just by cooking with butter and using full fat condiments and of course what's in meat and cheese.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    7aneena wrote: »

My questions are
    1. Can you identify things I am doing incorrectly that prevents or slows down weight loss?
    2. Is there anyone here that may have similar stats and had a successful strategy to share?
    3. Is eating below recommended fat g slows fat loss? my avg is 70g
    4. Knowing what you know about weigh loss and LCD, what sort of LCD plan would you make for someone with my stats

Thank you

Have you seen "My Diet is Better Than Yours"? It has a great example of the Wild Diet, if that's what you're doing. The fellow who demonstrated the diet had some weeks where he lost a ton, and others where he lost very, very little. I think it's fair to say that, while low carb variations work for some of us better than other diets might, weight loss is still not linear.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use whipping cream in my coffee. Isn't that pretty much the same thing as using butter? Just curious
  • 7aneena
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My diet is better than yours is what actually made me think of going LC again after many years of doing low calorie and low fat. I did have success on CICO (-50lbs) but I've been in the same 3lbs range for 3 years now and it seems even with weight loss my waist is still not changing much. To be totally honest the main reason I didn't go LC sooner is because I hated the restriction the first time around but watching the guy on the show have ice cream and dessert sealed the deal for me o:)
    I don't drink coffee or tea, you guys did remind me of mayo though, it's been a while since I had it. Lettuce wrap chicken salad sounds good for dinner :smile:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    I use whipping cream in my coffee. Isn't that pretty much the same thing as using butter? Just curious

As far as simply getting fat, yes. But they have different fatty acids and dairy proteins.