Protein/Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Congats on your weight loss. I love chicken. To vary results and add fats I cook with coconut oil plus create dressings n sauces with ingredients such as butter, philadelphia cream cheese, cheese , olive oil and seeds or a few nuts. Avocado is also useful. Eggs are a staple.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://www.renees.com/en/productinfo.aspx?id=re028

Renee's blue cheese dressing is 0 carb per serving.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Congats on your weight loss. I love chicken. To vary results and add fats I cook with coconut oil plus create dressings n sauces with ingredients such as butter, philadelphia cream cheese, cheese , olive oil and seeds or a few nuts. Avocado is also useful. Eggs are a staple.

With 16 chickens in my backyard, eggs are generally a staple here too ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I still eat a lot of lean meats. What I do to make it work is eat less of the meat and add a sauce. If I didn't have time for a sauce, I would add butter.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

The turkey cutlets and stuff like it are what kill you with protein vs fat.

Do you eat poultry? Occasionally I love the stuff. We buy it because it's cheap :) I got these packages of turkey cutlets for $2 for 6 cutlets - total steal! I was going to do a cream sauce, and ran out of time before my lunch break :/ I'll start getting bone-in skin-on chicken instead!

Most of the blue cheese dressings I've found are high in carb. Do you have a recommendation for a brand? I definitely prefer the full fat blue cheese over the yogurt type, primarily due to the consistency of the yogurt type.

Thanks so much for the tips. This is a huge change, but so totally worth it. I'm about a month in now and loving it. I lost 5 inches this month!!!

I do, sometimes. Turkey's usually just a Thanksgiving thing, though I sometimes get deli turkey, then put mayo and cheese on them and make roll-ups. Usually, bird meals are chicken. I'm not a dark meat fan, though, so it's not a frequent thing, and always with the skin (rain salt on whole chicken, roast at 400 for an hour, and you'll have the best chicken skin ever), and just accept the higher protein meal. If there's leftovers, I tend to slather it in butter. I do do fried wings occasionally, but it's literally a single given meal, and it's however the wing joint makes them (naked, though, no sauce).

And to clarify -- it's not to say that you can't, you just have to remember that it's a protein-heavy meat and make sure to compensate for that.

My staple meats are pork and bison, usually. The bison's a little on the lean side, so I cook/eat it with liberal amounts of butter.

I can't help with the Blue Cheese dressing. I hate blue cheese with the passion of a thousand suns. I'd check the "natural" or "organic" brands, though. The condiments in general tend to have less added sugar (and therefore, fewer carbs) than the typical brands.
    I still eat a lot of lean meats. What I do to make it work is eat less of the meat and add a sauce. If I didn't have time for a sauce, I would add butter.

That works, too, but by the looks of her diary, I suspect she's getting sick of drowning everything in butter! :lol:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Oh. I thought she said most fat was coming from dairy. As in cream and cheese...
    But... Too much butter? Is that a thing? Lol
    Just kidding. I know it can become overwhelming.
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    http://www.renees.com/en/productinfo.aspx?id=re028

Renee's blue cheese dressing is 0 carb per serving.

I was really excited when I checked the link and saw the blue cheese and the Caesar dressing because I love both. But now that I've started really paying attention to labels with this new woe I did a google search on Canola oil and didn't like what I was reading. Especially if you check out what they say on the "Food Renegade" website. But other sites say it's good for you. Sometimes I want to throw my hands up in exasperation.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options

The turkey cutlets and stuff like it are what kill you with protein vs fat.

Do you eat poultry? Occasionally I love the stuff. We buy it because it's cheap :) I got these packages of turkey cutlets for $2 for 6 cutlets - total steal! I was going to do a cream sauce, and ran out of time before my lunch break :/ I'll start getting bone-in skin-on chicken instead!

Most of the blue cheese dressings I've found are high in carb. Do you have a recommendation for a brand? I definitely prefer the full fat blue cheese over the yogurt type, primarily due to the consistency of the yogurt type.

Thanks so much for the tips. This is a huge change, but so totally worth it. I'm about a month in now and loving it. I lost 5 inches this month!!!

I do, sometimes. Turkey's usually just a Thanksgiving thing, though I sometimes get deli turkey, then put mayo and cheese on them and make roll-ups. Usually, bird meals are chicken. I'm not a dark meat fan, though, so it's not a frequent thing, and always with the skin (rain salt on whole chicken, roast at 400 for an hour, and you'll have the best chicken skin ever), and just accept the higher protein meal. If there's leftovers, I tend to slather it in butter. I do do fried wings occasionally, but it's literally a single given meal, and it's however the wing joint makes them (naked, though, no sauce).

And to clarify -- it's not to say that you can't, you just have to remember that it's a protein-heavy meat and make sure to compensate for that.

My staple meats are pork and bison, usually. The bison's a little on the lean side, so I cook/eat it with liberal amounts of butter.

I can't help with the Blue Cheese dressing. I hate blue cheese with the passion of a thousand suns. I'd check the "natural" or "organic" brands, though. The condiments in general tend to have less added sugar (and therefore, fewer carbs) than the typical brands.

That works, too, but by the looks of her diary, I suspect she's getting sick of drowning everything in butter! :lol:

There are recipes for blue cheese dressing and many other luscious sauces. A PITA maybe, but delicious.

I too hate blue cheese. I want to like it. But do not. I had some Buffalo Blue Cheese once that wasn't' so bad. But it was Wishbone brand I think and I can taste the PUFA oils in processed salad dressings anymore so blurgh. No thanks. I won't even eat Ranch anymore if I don't make it myself. Last time I had a salad, I put sour cream and salsa on it and mixed it up. I have a recipe from FluffyChix that I've made before. So I'll be having that next time I do ranchy stuff.

@Dragonwolf -I'll take that dark meat off your hands. Love the stuff. :love:
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    @baconslave I found some packets of dry dip mix that are low carb yesterday. Really yummy mixed with sour cream as a dip for pork rinds. Salami slathered in mayo got my vote, too. And hello fat on that one!

I do get sick of butter. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But sometimes it makes food more oily than I am accustomed to. I prefer my butter cold or on bread.... which I don't currently eat. Lol.

I'll keep fiddling with it. I've literally been googling high fat foods to get more options. :)

• Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Oh. I thought she said most fat was coming from dairy. As in cream and cheese...

Don't get me wrobg, there is a lot of cheese going on over here. A. Lot. Of. Cheese.

Am I the only one who feels like meat and cheese is all the grocery store has to offer that's keto friendly sometimes???
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrobg, there is a lot of cheese going on over here. A. Lot. Of. Cheese.

Am I the only one who feels like meat and cheese is all the grocery store has to offer that's keto friendly sometimes???

I feel like that whenever I start back at low carb, it takes time for me to adjust and remember the other things I can eat.

Though sticking with meat and cheese does make things pretty simple.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I just tend to harp big time on the coconut oil and butter when I see someone mention cheese and dairy as the main source of fats because there certainly are plenty that are not using those fats and they are a better source than dairy. Mostly because many of us discover a dairy sensitivity after eating this way for a bit and over doing it in the beginning can be a potential source of lack of adjusting and feeling well.
    I am a hard core advocate for those and magnesium. Lol

I eat lots of cheese. Sometimes too much and I pay for it. :wink:
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I just had a bowl of coconut cream with a tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, bought them both at the grocery store, did not contain meat or cheese :wink:
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

I just tend to harp big time on the coconut oil and butter when I see someone mention cheese and dairy as the main source of fats because there certainly are plenty that are not using those fats and they are a better source than dairy. Mostly because many of us discover a dairy sensitivity after eating this way for a bit and over doing it in the beginning can be a potential source of lack of adjusting and feeling well.
    I am a hard core advocate for those and magnesium. Lol

I eat lots of cheese. Sometimes too much and I pay for it. :wink:

I see your logic :) I'm trying to get behind the coconut oil thing. Had a spoonful in my coconut milk tea and it was dreamy! Got me much closer to my fat goal, too!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

I just had a bowl of coconut cream with a tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, bought them both at the grocery store, did not contain meat or cheese :wink:

But coconut cream comes from tye meat of a coconut and so is actually meat.

I jest. Good find! How'd it taste?! I'm a little desperate for pudding :/
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    To increase fat without adding protein: use hwc in coffee, scrambled eggs, or make an Alfredo type sauce to put over meat, add butter to everything, or coconut oil too. This is where fat bombs can come in handy, if you like them. Remember though that fat grams aren't a goal to strive for each day. You add fat to increase satiety from the foods you eat, but if you aren't hungry you don't have to meet that number.

You're so awesome :) I totally forgot about Alfredo sauce!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

But coconut cream comes from tye meat of a coconut and so is actually meat.

I jest. Good find! How'd it taste?! I'm a little desperate for pudding :/

It was delicious!! I had it again tonight :smile: I don't even add sweetener to it as the coconut cream's natural sweetness is enough for me. I did 100 ml of coconut cream to 1/2 tbsp Green & Blacks's 100% cocoa. It's been a great way for me to get my calories in without a ton of extra protein, which pushes up my blood sugar when it's in excess.