MCT oil

13»

Replies

• wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Oh my goodness. SO much information. This is can be very overwhelming. I struggled with the idea of buying the MCT oil, putting it off for weeks. Now that I have actually broke down and bought some, I am struggling with the idea of using it. I do know that when I bought it I was feeling very sluggish for days. I did notice an immediate change in my state of mind.

I typically only use it when I go to the gym because that is when I drink a protein shake which is 5 or 6 days out of the week. SHould I be trying to incorporate it into other drinks and food?

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Oh my goodness. SO much information. This is can be very overwhelming. I struggled with the idea of buying the MCT oil, putting it off for weeks. Now that I have actually broke down and bought some, I am struggling with the idea of using it. I do know that when I bought it I was feeling very sluggish for days. I did notice an immediate change in my state of mind.

I typically only use it when I go to the gym because that is when I drink a protein shake which is 5 or 6 days out of the week. SHould I be trying to incorporate it into other drinks and food?

I start every single day with 1 tablespoon of it. Before I switched to MCT I was using the same amount of coconut oil. I do it to get a good start on my hunger control as well as the other things I mentioned. And, if I did manage to control hunger without it, I would be too low on calories to be healthy so it gets me a good start on that too.
    Besides cooking with coconut oil and/or butter, that's all the MCT I consume the entire day.
  • wishfullthinking79
    @Sunny_Bunny_ You know it seems like I have more cravings since I started using the MCT oil. I find myself wanting to snack now when this wasnt the case before I started using it in the mornings.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    wishfulthinking just do what works for you, follow your own rules :wink:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    @Sunny_Bunny_ You know it seems like I have more cravings since I started using the MCT oil. I find myself wanting to snack now when this wasnt the case before I started using it in the mornings.

It would be the first I've ever heard anyone say that, but it doesn't mean it isn't true for you. It is very surprising since fat is so satiating. But, it is also said to increase metabolism, which is a good thing.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    I will say it over & over again, the most economical MCT is Carrington Farms MCT oil; literally $8 for 16 fluid ounces at Target. Labeling even breaks down Caprylic, Lauric, & capric acid content...>>> random overpriced food "supplements".
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member

It would be the first I've ever heard anyone say that, but it doesn't mean it isn't true for you. It is very surprising since fat is so satiating. But, it is also said to increase metabolism, which is a good thing.

It happens, to me, too, @Sunny_Bunny_ and @wishfullthinking79! Not cravings, but a general increase in hunger, which I think is due to the metabolism boost. I stopped it for a while, hoping to get my ... bathroom drama ... under control... I don't overly miss it, but I'm not avoiding it, either.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Thanks for this thread. I found it to be very informative. Learning something new everyday thanks to the folks in this group. I can only add my personal experience.

Omega Nutrition MCToil ($14.00)/16fl.oz has 50% caprylic acid and 50% capric acid. Reading the label it is sourced from palm kernel OR coconut oil. Interesting. I can now make a more educated purchase in the future. I've been using 2 teaspoons in my morning coffee or tea. I found it helps with the morning mental fog. I do not feel an increase in hunger.

I use a mix of coconut oil and Kerrygold butter in my cooking. I read somewhere that the medium chain triglycerides in MCT oil break down when heated in cooking. (no cite) I also prefer the coconut flavoring on meats and fish, not in my coffee or tea. I feel both have been a positive new addition to my WOE.
  • wishfullthinking79
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I think it is strange as well since most say is curves the appetite. I didn't make it to the gym this morning so I didn't drink a protein shake. I was literally a walking zombie this morning. I took 4 oz of my boyfriends coffe, one tbsp of MCT oil and two tbsp of heave whipping cream mixed it all in my ninja. It wasn't half bad. I tummy ached for a little while after drinking it. Not sure if it was from the MCT oil or the coffee because I do not drink coffee that often. As of right now I do not have the desire to snack.

@KnitOrMiss It is more an urge to eat for me as well. I think that fits more than saying it is an actual craving.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    If the hunger is truly associated with a boost in metabolism, that would be a very good thing that would allow you more calories. Eating lower calories consistently is definitely associated with lowering metabolism, which is the reason so many people gain weight back after dieting. So, even if you eat a bit more, if it's due to a metabolic boost, that's great news for long term weight management.
    I've been a hard core calorie counter since day one and I kinda doubt it's done me a whole lot of good. Except for maybe helping me learn when I would eat from boredom or cravings because if I had eaten at TDEE or over and was still thinking I was hungry, and had no above average activity to explain it, I could easily see that I should not be hungry.
    But, I really do think that our desire to lose weight, and see it on the scale, can interfere with our ability to make the best decisions about what and when to eat quite often.
    I haven't stopped counting calories yet. I think I may have slowed my metabolism down a bit since I started last May. I've consistently averaged no more than 1325 calories a day the entire time. Even lower in the beginning. My TDEE should never be lower than 1450 on my absolute laziest days but probably averages out to about 1550 based on my fitness tracker. I'm really not very active at all. Sad..
    Though I'm losing weight incredibly slowly. It takes 2 months for my trend weight to show any loss these days. It doesn't make sense from traditional standards. And while I do not believe that calories are the absolute factor in creating weight loss, I do have to wonder if my "all in" attitude in the beginning caused me to slow down metabolism and now I'm paying the price for it.
    Anyway, I say all that because it's been on my mind a lot lately and it makes me want to warn against discontinuing MCT or CO because of the increased hunger. I would say to discontinue something like sweetener or nuts or dairy if the reaction were the same, but because of the MCT being what it is, I think the hunger response may actually be helpful in creating a better running metabolic system. I'm just basically thinking out loud here... I realize this is wandering a bit. Lol
    During the April challenge, I'm going to do all animal and no calorie counting and I will be ok with a scale weight gain if that happens. I would like that month long experience to create a boost in metabolism for me. I'm not going to try to restrict eating. I'm just going to eat when hungry. I will still be including MCT and coconut oil too.
    If it does create a gain, I will likely continue with it anyway in hopes that my body will regulate itself and settle into a more efficient metabolism. I guess the hope is ultimately to prove that stimulated hunger from a healthy fat source is a good thing for developing a healthier metabolism.
    I've heard that idea over and over again, but I have never been willing to allow myself higher calories consistently. I'll eat when I'm hungry, but on extra hungry days, I always try to be careful about the calorie density of the food so that I can eat, be satisfied, but not go too much over goal or too much over TDEE. I'm not going to worry about that anymore. We will see what happens.
  • wishfullthinking79
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I know that in some ways it is good that I have the desire to eat throughout the day because in the past I did not. I too definitely look at the calories. I have done a lot to increase my fat which as proven to be challenging for me. I have added foods in my diet that I did not eat in the past.

I do now suspect that the increase in appetite is caused from the protein shake. This is the first day I have taken mct oil without the protein shake and as of now I have had no urge to eat anything.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I know that in some ways it is good that I have the desire to eat throughout the day because in the past I did not. I too definitely look at the calories. I have done a lot to increase my fat which as proven to be challenging for me. I have added foods in my diet that I did not eat in the past.

I do now suspect that the increase in appetite is caused from the protein shake. This is the first day I have taken mct oil without the protein shake and as of now I have had no urge to eat anything.

I recall talking about the artificial sweetener in your protein shake before.
  • wishfullthinking79
    I am sure there is some kind of AS in it. I drink it when I work out because the trainer said I need to consume protein after I workout. I have to force myself to do that because I am not one who typically eats anything that early. But I choke about 4 oz of that down.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    The only MCT oil so far I found which is pure C8 is keto8. Its the only MCT I have if needed. My blood ketone levels already average like 4.8 milli molars and adding MCT is not gonna make a big difference.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member

Make sure you get enough protein. I don't drink protein shakes but I always get enough protein, not too much, not too little.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    I should of asked what is the best brand to get? I have done a little reading on it. It list a few different ones. Then the article said to be sure to buy a good quality one. There is one that is sold on amazon that I was going to get. It is the same one that I seen at sprouts.

I just took pics today (by coincidence) of the one I use:

2y0018jyy1ri.png
    558zsvn8ocyr.png
    pdlnzipnx6n1.png

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

C1.png 809.5K
    C2.png 834.1K
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    MCT oil gives you the energy boost that carbs will, but without the insulin response! Pretty cool! :)