Hello... Newbie here... I have a situation that may be diabetes related. Need input please!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TLCFORM wrote: »
    My diary is public if you are curious to see the different high fat foods I'm including to get ideas and compare.
    The most important thing right now is to get your sodium up so you can start feeling better.
    Don't feel like everything has to be perfect with your macros from day 1. It can be overwhelming. Work on focusing on different things as you go. So right now, get the salt. Feel better and take a look at your fat totals and sources.
    Baby steps. We all had to evolve into our plans and tweek them here and there to maximize our health. And we're mostly all still working on it. :smile:

Hi - I took a look at your diary as I'm new to this and looking for meal ideas. Do you mind me asking why you take 2000mg of vit c supplements a day, is there are benefit to this when following a low carb diet? Thanks!

I actually take 6000-7000mg a day and I'd take more if I ever felt like I was getting sick. But I never do.... :smile:
    I believe in its immune boosting abilities. It's hard to argue with when I was the only person in my house to not even get the sniffles when everyone else got a bad cold this winter. So far.
    It's not a low carb thing. I think it's a big health advantage for anyone and everyone.
  • jady333
    jady333 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My diary is public if you are curious to see the different high fat foods I'm including to get ideas and compare.
    The most important thing right now is to get your sodium up so you can start feeling better.
    Don't feel like everything has to be perfect with your macros from day 1. It can be overwhelming. Work on focusing on different things as you go. So right now, get the salt. Feel better and take a look at your fat totals and sources.
    Baby steps. We all had to evolve into our plans and tweek them here and there to maximize our health. And we're mostly all still working on it. :smile:

Hi - I took a look at your diary as I'm new to this and looking for meal ideas. Do you mind me asking why you take 2000mg of vit c supplements a day, is there are benefit to this when following a low carb diet? Thanks!

It's really not intentional. I take a one a day and a super B which has even more vit C.
  • jady333
    jady333 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Update: I woke up all swollen with numb hands and a headache due to the extra sodium intake. It's a catch 22.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    jady333 wrote: »
    Update: I woke up all swollen with numb hands and a headache due to the extra sodium intake. It's a catch 22.
    Just need to adjust your intake a little. Maybe that was just too much. So, more than before, but less than yesterday may be what works.
    Honestly, I'd get some magnesium glycinate or citrate... Any form that ends in "ate" is supposed to be most easily absorbed.
    My dad has Agent Orange and it causes terrible itchy rashes. He was having the worst episode ever at the same he was having trouble with low blood pressure related to lie sodium. He was drinking lots and lots of water because he was told he was dehydrated but he kept having to go to the bathroom a lot. A few times every night he was in the bathroom. He didn't grasp that he needed a lot more sodium than just salting his food. And that drinking too much water wasn't actually hydrating him.
    I got him some sodium tablets and magnesium too and within 1 day his lightheaded feeling upon standing was better, his blood pressure became more consistently normal and a surprise bonus was that his agent orange rash appeared to be getting better. It continued to get better every day after that too. He had used an entire jar Ida prescription cream before that with no improvement at all. I know the sodium helped him finally retain some water and increase blood volume, but I really think the magnesium was the final piece to the puzzle that allowed such a sudden improvement.
  • TLCFORM
    TLCFORM Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I actually take 6000-7000mg a day and I'd take more if I ever felt like I was getting sick. But I never do.... :smile:
    I believe in its immune boosting abilities. It's hard to argue with when I was the only person in my house to not even get the sniffles when everyone else got a bad cold this winter. So far.
    It's not a low carb thing. I think it's a big health advantage for anyone and everyone.

Thanks!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I actually get the headaches when sodium is getting low. It takes me a day or so to sort it out.

I am another who seems to need to add a lot of extra salt. I have even taken to adding a teaspoon of salt to a glass of water every morning. It took me a while to get to that. I had a hard time believing I needed 3000-5000mg of sodium per day after hearing the benefits of low sodium for so many years. It worked though.

Welcome to the group. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    jady333 wrote: »

Our needs are all different, try decreasing but stay higher than you were before like sunny said. I can personally have 6000-7000 g and have no issues but I know others can not. You just need to find the correct balance for you.