Options
15678911»

Replies

• Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nice job amyrebeccah.

Stronglifts
    Squat 5/5/5/5/3 @ 170 pds - I just kind of stopped on the last two. Knee started twinging and the shoulder was as well, so I just stopped. Didn't even feel guilty for a change.
    OHP 5/5/5/5/4 @ 70 pds - Forgot my arm brace, but really excited I was able to do most of it. Wrist started annoying me on the last set, so again, I just stopped.
    DL 1x5@ 180pds - um omg can't believe I just lifted that...felt like doing the snoopy dance!

Overall really pleased with things. I just need to remember to bring my arm brace! Only going to the chiro once every two weeks and the knee is not hurting like it did! Yay!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Been a few days since I've logged here, but I've been diligent with the lifts - missed one planned day of cardio.
    Summary: Thursday, lifts, standard weights I've been using Friday: missed cardio, had a mini road trip and was gone all day. Saturday: extended warmup (20 minutes/20 movements instead of 10 min), lifts, bumped up the weight for bench and row...it was fine. Also, 7 mile bike ride for the whole family. Sunday: Hosted easter - ate too many carbs, felt ill all night and into Monday morning. Monday: Walked 2.5 miles with the hubby after dinner.

Today!
    10 min. warm up, 20 movements
    SL:
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x110
    OHP: 5x5x60 - this is ready to bump up, was easy
    Deadlift: 1x5x120 - I bumped this up by 5lb today instead of 10. Was ok.

I hate squats. I have always hated them, I had hope that they'd grow on me - they have not. I do, however, LOVE what they do to my body - so I suck it up and carry on. With some colorful words included on my less cheerful mornings ;)
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I hate squats. I have always hated them, I had hope that they'd grow on me - they have not. I do, however, LOVE what they do to my body - so I suck it up and carry on. With some colorful words included on my less cheerful mornings ;)

So glad you shared this because I feel the same way. I am still fairly new to strength training and now squatting 81.1 lbs. At first, I liked them but not any more. I have a harder time increasing with BP and OHP but still I dislike SQUATS more. LOL! However, your statement about the results they can potentially bring motivates me to keep at them and ensure I do them well even though I hate doing them. LOL!
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love/hate squats. I know how awesome they are, I just find them difficult to execute correctly. I think some of it is just practice, but a lot of it is just biomechanics and I'll always find them tricky. The plus side is, my body type (long legs and short torso) sets me up well for deadlifts.

Kettlebells this morning. Because I like round numbers I did 20 sets of KB swings instead of the prescribed 19 to make it an even 400 swings for the day.

Alternating Press: 1x6,5,4,3 at 6kg
    Band assisted Pullup: 1x6,5,4,3 with two bands
    Goblet Squat: 5x5 at 16kg
    KB Swing: 20x20 at 16kg
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Squat - 3x5 at 110 lbs. back to body weight finally. I discovered that dropping quicker lets me get the stretch and bounce I was missing. I have always been too nervous to descend quickly, but it really helps.
    pull ups - 2,4,3 probably could have done more in the first set, but I was being lazy. Fixed it for set 2.
    Bench - 3x5 at 72.5 lbs - good, but hard. Really needed to concentrate on form.
    Row - 3x5 at 72.5
    Shrug - 3x8 at 72.5 - probably should stay at 70 for these, but didn't want to change the barbell
    Skullcrushers - 3x8 at 35 lbs
    BB curl - 3x6 at 45 lbs
    Good mornings - 3x10 at 60 lbs
    Hanging knee raises - 3x10
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This afternoons dismal fail...
    Front squat 1x5 35, 3x5 37.5 kg just
    Bench 32.5 kg warm up managed 3 reps with incredible pain thru pecs deloaded to 25 kg 2 reps tried 9 kg dumbbells gave up went home.
    Upper body felt fine not alot of doms this morning pecs decided yeah nah.
    Will rest now til Saturday then try again.

If anyone has any advice most appreciated. Went lifting first time in 4 weeks on Sunday- doms real bad yesterday felt reasonably good today so thought I'd do another light session to ease back in.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Catch up time for me. I've gotten a little behind lately just from always doing stuff and not doing much online when I'm at the computer. Had a fair bit of candy for Eaters and maybe a cupcake. It was good too. ;-)

Getting closer to the meet. Under 3 weeks and I'm a bit up in weight but buckling down so still have good hopes to making 132 Saturday night. Gotta lock down the calories though and that is the plan.

Chapter 6: Deadlift

low bar squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135, 3x5 @ 155 with belt

Deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, 3x2 @ 220 with belt

And some cardio on the elliptical. Was lazy so didn't do any accessories, still waiting for pad for the hip thrusts. Plus it had been a long day since Easter Sunday I worked 9 hours before going to the gym.

Chapter 7: OHP

OHP 2x10 @ 45, 1x6 @ 65, 3x5 @ 80 - tough but managed

pull-ups 3x1.5, chin-ups 1x3
    tricep push down 4x10 @ 80

cable bicep curl 1x1 @ 80 for fun then 3x10 @ 50
    pallof press 3x10 @ 40

30 minutes on elliptical watching Chopped on Food Network

Trying to get a little extra cardio in on a regular basis but nothing crazy. Usually just 20 or 30 minutes. Though I did do about 45 minutes yesterday on the elliptical since it wasn't a lifting day. Have the next two days off, which is a relief. Plus tomorrow is squat and going to try it in singlet.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see so many squat-haters: I really like squats! They're my best lift. Though I have chunky cyclist thighs, so I might be starting from a strong squat situation!

Last night:
    Squat: 5x5 @ 61kg - interesting to see how heavy this has become, when it's not long since I did 80!
    Bench: 5x5 @ 30kg - I could have done more, but building back up slowly
    Row: 5x5 @ 16kg dumbbells
  • ninenines
    Options
    I get a weekly email from Dan John, an awesome coach with lots of great advice. This morning linked through to Bret Contreas on the hip thrust for glute work and so I decided to add it as an additional lift on Stronglifts B days. I just did 5x5 with a 10 second hold on each of the last reps, but hello glutes, they were definitely activated.

SQ: 3x5 at 27.5kg
    OHP: 5,5,5,4,3 at 25kg, third time failing at this weight, so deloading next workout.
    Barbell Hip Thrust: 5x5 at 20kg
    DL: 1x5 at 60kg, 1x5 at 75kg

Also achieved a full unassisted chinup! Hooray, the volume I've been doing with the KB program I've been following has been helping things along nicely. Hopefully I'll be able to continue progressing and be able to do more than one unassisted at a time!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Had an okay day overall, since it's a day off. I ended up eating earlier than usual, which involved some cinnamon bun oreos but mostly protein and even some veggies. All the foods before the gym wasn't a bad idea though cause I had to do 200 for squats, which was my one rep max before that I have done one time. I also tried out lifting in the singlet and almost glad I left my phone at home so no pictures from it this time. Maybe Sunday when I wear it for deadlfits I will add on instagram evidence of how it looks with the big pink belt.

Chapter 7: Squats

warm up on elliptical for 10 minutes

Squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135, 1x3 @ 185 with belt
    working sets with belt 3x1 @ 200 (1 & 3 were grindy)

sumo deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 170 and 3x5 @ 195

small amount of foam rolling

20 minutes on elliptical but didn't care for the show on Food Network
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted in a week or two, but I'm still doing the program! Here are my latest results:

3/29 -
    Squats: 85lbs 5x5
    Deads: 120lbs 5x5
    Bench: 75lbs 5x5

I struggled on my bench this time, so I will be repeating 75lbs next time. I got all of my reps in, but I had to break in between some of the reps during my sets. It was very frustrating! :)

Today I'm going after 90 on squats, 125 on deads, and 50 on overheads. If I am able to do 90lbs 5x5, I will have doubled my squat since I began doing this program on 3/8. :)
  • ninenines
    Options
    Great progress @melodiclyrics !

KB Alternating Press: 2x6,4,2 at 6kg
    Band Assisted Pullup (2 bands): 2x6,4,2
    Goblet Squat: 5x5 at 16kg
    KB Swing: 420 total swings. 1 minute work/1 minute rest.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Deena_Bean wrote: »

So glad you shared this because I feel the same way. I am still fairly new to strength training and now squatting 81.1 lbs. At first, I liked them but not any more. I have a harder time increasing with BP and OHP but still I dislike SQUATS more. LOL! However, your statement about the results they can potentially bring motivates me to keep at them and ensure I do them well even though I hate doing them. LOL!

I do pretty well with increasing the weight on squats for the most part. My legs are my powerhouse so you would think that I'd love squats. Nope. I've grown to tolerate them as a necessity, though, and I've found that since I de-loaded from 130 it's less difficult to convince myself to do them. I've been creeping up really slowly now on purpose. I dropped to 100 from 130 and over the last 4-5 weeks I've made it back to 110. I could easily increase by 5 every session up to 125, but I don't want to. I want to perfect my form and get to the point that I'm breezing through the squats easily. Then I'll bump up another 5 and stay there until the same happens. No rush...
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Made it to the gym after work, which took some self-talk about 'discipline' as it's Friday night!

It was nice and quiet, though!

Squats: 5x5 @ 62.5kg
    Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 62.5kg
    OHP: 5x5 @ 22.5 kg

Feeling good after that lot....
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love squats. Don't like the ohp and barbell row...but I tolerate them because I'm supposed to do them.

Today's Sl
    Squat 5x5@170pds
    BP 5x5@110pds
    Row 5x5@120pds

I am pretty excited about this. First time in about a month or so, that I have completed the session without anything hurting (knee, shoulder). Very happy with the BP numbers, and finally got the row at this weight! Woooohooo!