March-ing in to Spring!

Options

Replies

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies. Frustratingly, I'm not making time to lift. Note that I don't say I don't HAVE time, but I am not MAKING time for it. This is not the plan!

I am tired, it is my busiest time of my year at work (end of the UK tax year) and my head is so full my sleep is interrupted with thoughts of what I still need to do. I've gotten behind on all things "housework" related, but that will have to just get done as and when. We're off on holiday on Saturday to see my daughter for a week, so part of me says just let things go until I get home and then get through til 5th April (end of tax year) and then take a deep breath and get back to it. Gah, I'm making excuses and I don't like it!

I AM still running - doing my 2 miles first thing in the morning before work. It was a beautiful morning today, and I run towards the sunrise which was lovely, but my legs had no oomph to them. Still, its a good headclearer to start the day off, and at least it is *some* form of exercise.

• Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Stop feeling guilty, @kimiuzzell! Sometimes things just get too much. And you're still running! So just be kind to yourself and try to recognise the difference between what is an excuse and what is just sensible rationing of your energy.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts today,

Squat, 25k/55 lbs bb 5x5 *same
    Benchpress 12k/26lb dumbbells 5x5 * up 4k
    Rows 12k/26lb dumbbells 5 x5 * up 2k (incline chest rows)
    +
    skullcrushers 15k/33lb bb 2x8
    shrugs 10k/22lb db 2x15
    dips (assisted) 150lbs/140lbs 3x15 (bad shoulder = high weight on machine)!
    Calf raises no weight 3x15

Did not go up on weight on the squat, want to make sure I have my form down, also going away for a week as of tomorrow, so not sure how much I will be doing while I am gone!
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    SL5X5 - A

Squat: 5x5 120lb
    BP: 5/3/3/5/4 80lb (Fail, but proud I managed to even get 80lb up. That was not easy for me.)
    Row: 5x5 80lb (I was supposed to do 90lb, I was able to, but my form was lacking. I decided to de-load to 80lb and work my way up again.)
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    Stop feeling guilty, @kimiuzzell! Sometimes things just get too much. And you're still running! So just be kind to yourself and try to recognise the difference between what is an excuse and what is just sensible rationing of your energy.

Agreed! I could see being harder on yourself if you weren't doing anything - but the daily running is by FAR more than many do. Work with what you can now to get through the tough time. If you can fit a lift in without stressing about it, then do it...if not...start again when you can. Part of life...
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    10 minute movement warm-up

Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x105
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x65
    Dead: 1x5x115

I may move up 5lbs on my squats next week - I feel like I'm comfortable with 105 form and breaks. My new method is to stay at each weight until I've perfected the form, can go through them fairly quickly and don't require any long breaks between sets. I'm about there on the squats and I'm close with the OHP and Deads as well. This method is causing me far less anxiety and stress, too. So that's good :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

GobletSquat- 3X7X25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 25X10X25, 17X15X25 = 505

Day 10 Challenge Total- 4,030

Since we had to go out of town I brought my kettle bell and did a broken set of 505 swings. I wanted to eat breakfast with my husband so I did the first set at 5:30 AM. Then after he left for his meeting I did the last set. I wanted to make sure that I initiated fat burning mode prior to eating.
  • sarah___mac
    sarah___mac Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yesterday (3/9): SL Rest day, had a physical therapy appointment in the morning, and went to a 90 min yoga class in the evening. We worked on "the splits" (hanumanasana) and I was delighted to see my progress when fully warm and "primed" - my left is like an inch off the ground with square hips, right is still 5 inches. I stretch these 2-3x per week. Any other yogis or folks working on splits? Would love to connect :blush:

This morning: 15 min yoga/stretch warm-up, SL Workout A
    Squat 5x5 @ 70lbs. Still working on breathing at top and holding for lift. Getting smoother!
    Bench Press 5x5 @ 55 lbs. No shoulder pain at all, gonna keep increasing 2.5lbs at a time.
    Barbell Row 5x5 @ 52.5lbs. Went well.

Tonight I'm going to get an hour of cardio in: either my usual Zumba class OR at the trampoline park... (this has been on the "when I'm healthy" list for too long, and its my gd birthday this weekend).
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »

Brilliant response!

A bit of kettlebell work last night and this morning:
    Alternating Press: 3 x 5,4,3,2,1 at 6kg
    Band Assisted Pullup (two bands): 3 x 5,4,3,2,1 - last set were chin ups
    Goblet Squat: 5 x 5 at 16kg
    KB Swing: 13 x 15 at 16kg

First netball game of the season tonight, bit excited!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Last night:

bench press: 3x3 @ 35kg
    incline bench dumbbells: 4x6 @ 12kg
    bent over row: 4x5 @ 16kg
    Lat pull down - 4x6, though did chin ups and pull ups instead, mostly assisted
    OHP: 3x5 @ 22.5kg
    skullcrusher: 2x10 @ 19kg

Skipped the curls as I ran out of time and had a friend waiting for me in a restaurant!

I'm really feeling the effect of the change to PHUL and all the accessory work - I feel tighter all over.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. You talk sense!

I ran again this morning and we're off to Switzerland tomorrow so I will get back to it on my return. Watch this space!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats- 1x5x95/105/115, 5x5x125
    Sumo Squats- 5x5x110
    OHP- 1x5x45/50/55/60, 5x5x55
    DL- 1x5x140

GobletSquats- 1x7x25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 17x15x25 = 255

Day 11 Challenge Total 4,285
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Short one today - my right hamstring started to hurt and I decided not to push it.

So:

Squats: 4x3 @ 60kg - the first few as I warmed up felt so good, I was going really deep. I was aiming for 70kg, maybe 75. But then, ouch. So I stuck at 60

Deadlifts: 3x5 @ 60kg - there felt good

But then I skipped the press, curls, calf stuff ... I have a bike ride tomorrow and I'll need my right leg :smile:
  • fanncy0626
    Options

GobletSquat- 3x7x25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 34x15x25 = 510

Day 12 Challenge Total- 4,795

Walking challenge- 5.5 miles

I am almost half way to my goal! Yay!! I will start to step it up by adding sets of heavier weights.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Keep on swinging @fanncy0626 you are doing great!

Stronglifts today.
    SQ: 3x5 at 20kg
    BP: 5x5 at 31.5kg
    BR: 5,5,5,4,4 at 38kg

Alternating KB Press 2x5,4,3,2 at 6kg
    Band assisted Pullup (two bands) 2x5,4,3,2
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    :D
  • fanncy0626
    Options

GobletSquat- 3x7x30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 17x15x30 = 255

Day 13 Challenge Total = 5,050

I now am officially over halfway done with my challenge amount. Today for the first time I did sets of 15 at 30 pounds. I had been doing them only at sets of 10. I was very glad when I was done!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Last night's workout:
    Still taking it a bit easy to make sure I haven't lost form.

Squat - 3x5 at 95#. Felt really good when I remembered to push my knees out coming out of the hole.
    OHP - 3x5 at 45#. Pretty easy. Will try 50 next time.
    DL - 1x5 at 135#. Harder than I expected, but form felt good. Mostly the brand new knurling was making my hands sore. Need to toughen them up again!
    Row - 3x5 at 65#
    Close grip BP - 3x8 at 60#. Harder than I expected, but ok.
    Barbell curls - 5,4,4 at 45#. Better than last time!
    Hanging knee raises - 3x10. Hardest part of these is the pull up bar hurting my hands.

Glad to be back in the groove. Cancelled my gym membership yesterday. Yay!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Good news. Singlet came in on Friday, as expected, and does fit. Then on Saturday, pretty much less than 2 days after ordering, the lifting belt came in. They be quick over at the liftinglarge web site. It's a little bigger than I expected but is still within the requirements of the competition as the belt can't be bigger than 4 inches. Forgot how big 4 inches was, lol. Glad I got the large though instead of medium since measurement wise I'm at the top end of the medium listing. Now I have some time to learn how to use it and see if I want to use the belt at the meet or not. It is very pink and will be one of the few things I ever own that is pink. Lifted last night with bench and tonight is deadlifts after work.

Chapter 5: Bench

Bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 70, 1x6 @ 95 (heavy)
    working sets - 4x3 @ 105

pull up attempts 3x1 almost at 2, chin ups 1x3
    db bench press 4x5 @ 40

db fly 3x8 @ 25
    one db row 3x8 @ 45

face pull 3x10 @ 60
    pallof press 3x10 @ 35

• melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to stronglifts, but I hope you don't mind me posting my progress here. :smile:

This was my very first week at it so here we go:

Tuesday 3/8
    Squats: 5x5 @ 45
    Bench: 5x5 @ 55
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 65

Thursday 3/10
    Squats: 5x5 @ 50
    OP: 5x5 @ 45
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 70

Sunday 3/13
    Squats: 5x5 @ 55
    Bench: 5x5 @ 60
    Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 75

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my progress, and I'm glad I haven't had any pain related to lifting (soreness, of course, but that was not unexpected). I look forward to more lifts, and gaining muscle! :smiley: