March-ing in to Spring!

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Had a hard time sleeping lately. Last night didn't really sleep until after 4 am so it's good I didn't have work as I stayed in bed past noon. I also ate slightly expired candy at 2 am so went over my calories but oh well. Hope tonight is better. Tomorrow I meet with the boy cashiers from work (have 2 males that aren't managers, most of the people at work are female except top boss and one pharmacist aside from them) to get sushi before going to do squats.

Chapter 5: OHP

Now we're on chapter 5. Did a light warm up on the elliptical since I don't work today. Followed by band pulls between warm up sets of OHP using my yellow resistance band.

OHP 2x10 @ 45, 1x6 @ 65 and 4x3 @ 80

pull ups 3x2ish, almost two per set. I can see above the bar but not get my chin there
    chin ups 1x3, getting closer to 4
    tricep pushdown 4x8 @ 80

incline bench on smith machine 3x5 @ 50 - just the weights counted and tried it out for fun
    pendlay rows with straps 3x5 @ 100 - doing okay, think I like using the straps on this. Form is better for now.

Jogged 30 minutes on treadmill while watching Food Network.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    It seems like everyone is having some sleeping issues lately - I wonder if it's the seasons changing! Crazy. I just sat through an hour long meeting that I id the head bob and jerk multiple times in. It's bad. Which leads me into how my workout was this morning:
    Treadmill. I ran a mile at 5.5 mph and it was torturous. I walked the rest of the time...when I stopped after a mile I felt sick and weak. What a mess!
  • melodiclyrics
    melodiclyrics Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So I'm not really doing Stronglifts, I'm doing Starting Strength, but they're pretty similar, it just doesn't have you do barbell rows for the first few weeks. Anyway, here was my results from last night:

Squats - 60lbs 5x5
    Overhead - 45 5x5 (will repeat this weight again, didn't cheat, but they weren't very pretty at the end).
    Deadlifts - 85 1x5 (Increased by 10lbs. Will try 95 tomorrow)

If anyone would prefer that I not post here since I'm not doing the true Stronglifts program, please let me know. I'd just like support from other women who are lifting. :smile:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    If anyone would prefer that I not post here since I'm not doing the true Stronglifts program, please let me know. I'd just like support from other women who are lifting. :smile:

There are other women on here that are doing other lifting programs as well. You're very welcome here!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    totally welcome. also, tons of us also have starting strength. really interested in reading/hearing your experience with cleans too. that's a lift i've always kind of had a yen to do but don't think i could learn by myself.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 95/105/110, 5X5X 115
    Sumo squats-5X5X 100
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 55
    DL- One X5X 135

10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

GobletSquat- 3X7X 25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 17 X 15 X 25 = 255

Day 16 Challenge Total = 6070

Walking Challenge = 5 miles

I really dread doing these exercises some days! However, I am so happy after I am finished.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @melodiclyrics keep on posting, I love seeing what everyone is doing!

@amyrebeccah don't be embarrassed, I use the assistance bands the same way. It's not really cheating yourself if you keep pushing and progressing. I was using three bands around the foot, and now using two bands. Also, Parks & Rec gif FTW! It's my favourite show ever.

Stronglifts A this morning
    SQ: 3x5 at 20kg. Might start to increase the weight a little as the chiropractic work seems to be settling well.
    BP: 5x5 at 32kg. That's 50% bodyweight!
    BR: 4,5,5,4,3 at 38kg. Deloading on this next work out.
    Netball training tonight.
  • sarah___mac
    sarah___mac Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    3/15 SL workout A

Squat 5x5 @ 75 lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 57.5 lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 55 lbs

these are all still going smoothly. I'm looking forward to sharing another round of form check videos toward the end of the month - at more challenging weights, and showing my efforts to incorporate suggestions from last time.

I did my weight lifting in the morning, and then I went to backbending yoga series week #2 in the evening. Made my first successful transition from wheel pose to camel pose - but boyyy the quads :s no injury, but maybe next time... not on SL day / way more quad stretching first.

3/16 postural strength exercise in the morning, more (but less intense) yoga plans tonight.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wore my brace, no issues today with ohp! Woohoo!

Sl
    Squat 5x5@ 170pds
    Ohp 5x5@ 65 pds
    Dl 1x5@ 165pds

I felt awesome after...though a bit sore tonight. My inner thighs like right in the crease is sore. Trying to stretch it out, see how it goes.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Back from a few days away, brought a set of 10k/22lb DB's with me, but only used them
    once :-/, lots of walking though, to make up for the lots of eating!

I was a little cautious with the numbers, both from being away from it for a week and managing to do something not so great to my shoulder while I was away :-(

SL workout, had to use dumbbells today,

Squat: 14k/30lbs x2 DB 5x5
    BP: 12k/26lbs x2 DB 5x5
    Row incline chest row) 14k/30lbs x2 DB 5x5
    skullcrusher 6k/13lbs x2 DB 5x5

Overall, I am pleased that I was able to do what I did, though I did stay away from dips, didn't want to push my luck!
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    So far so good with the shoulder! I'm so happy it seems to not have been anything serious :)

10 minutes of warmup movements (used any squat sets to warmup with the bar instead of do the movement in the program - saved me time).

Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x105
    Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x70 (deloaded 15 lbs here to ease back in and not risk aggravating the shoulder again)
    Rows: 5x5x70 (same, deloaded 15)

I'm glad I dropped the weights on the arms - I've been steady at the squat weight for a few weeks now and I think I may be ready to go up 5lbs on Saturday. I plan to stay there a while, too, though. No rush.

On a side note: for as much and as long as I've been lifting it was amazing and embarrassing to me this morning when push-ups came up on the 10 minute workout and I was having a helluva time with them! WTH? The modified push-up came up a little later in the cycle and it wasn't so bad - but standard was super hard. I only did 6-7 of them in 30 seconds time...and it was HARD!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

GobletSquat- 3X7X25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 34X15X25 = 510

Day 17 Challenge Total = 6,580

Swimming freestyle - 45 minutes

Walking Challenge- 5 miles

I assumed that it would get easier as the days went on. Man, was I mistaking! Possibly I felt fatigued because I went swimming first. All I know is that I am glad I am done. I will be traveling for the next two days so I will be bringing my kettle bell with and I will have to do Stronglifts when I get home.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I stayed up Thursday morning after my night shift to lift since I blew off Wednesday night to take a nap :P Lifted in bare feet for the first time. I liked it :)

Squat - 3x5 at 100 lbs
    Pull ups - 5,4,3
    OHP - 3x5 at 50 lbs. Good, but will repeat once before moving up. First set had poor form.
    DL - 1x5 at 145 lbs. Fine.
    Row - 3x5 at 65 lbs
    Close grip BP - 8,6,5 at 65 lbs. Yeah, so...memory fail. I accidentally went up 10 lbs on this lift because I was too lazy to check my prev. stats. Oops. I was trying to figure out why it was so hard....this is supposed to be an accessory!
    Barbell curl - 6,5,5 at 45 lbs
    Hanging knee raises - 3x10 These are getting easier :)

Didn't try out lower weight hip thrusts cuz the kid was whining for breakfast by this time :P
  • ninenines
    Options
    Goblet Squat: 5x5 at 16kg
    KB Swing: 13x15 at 16 kg
  • fanncy0626
    edited March 2016
    Options

GobletSquat - 3X7X 25
    Russian Kettlebell Swing - 34X15X25 = 510

Day 18 Challenge Total = 7,090

Because of traveling I brought my Kettlebell with in order to get my workout in today.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Another ridiculously tired day for me, but I forced myself out of bed and on to the treadmill for 35 minutes. I didn't have it in me to run, so I just walked on an incline. It was hard enough...I hope this phase of craptastic sleep ends soon...
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Managed to get squats done last night after working freight. It went okay but squats take me the longest to get through. Very heavy too even though it's not at the top numbers yet. Belt went okay for the few sets I used it on. Felt better on high bar than the first attempt on low bar, since it didn't shift during the lift.

Chapter 5: Squats

warmup squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 155
    Squats 2x4 @ 170 (one without belt) 2x3 @ 180 - rest with belt and slow

overload 240 for 15 count - Freakin' heavy

pause squats 1x4 @ 120 and 1x3 @ 130 all with 8 count

sumo deadlift 1x6 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 190

That is all.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well, I went into the gym today feeling really good. But, I don't know, maybe I am starting to overthink my squats and positioning etc. My left knee started to really hurt. So I dropped 20 pds off the squat and finished out the reps with that. I am going to hit the chiro again tomorrow, cause the left knee, arm, wrist and shoulder on that side, is very sore and hurting.

SL
    Squat started @ 175pds did 5x5 then dropped to 155pds for the next 4 sets
    BP 5x5 @95 pds
    Row 5x5 @ 115 pds

I'm really happy with the BP today. I asked one of the guys to spot the last set, just in case. I have this weird vision of dropping the bar on my face = / He kept his hands off the bar and when I was done, he was like you need to go higher. Ugh, I'm already freaking out in my mind about the weight now. Maybe that is part of my problem still.
  • ninenines
    Options
    Stronglifts B this morning. Love the weekend when I'm not rushing through. Overhead press was tough, wasn't sure I was going to get it, but really wanted to make it through and not have to deload just yet.

Front Squat: 3x5 at 22.5kg
    OHP: 5x5 at 24.5kg
    DL: 1x5 at 60kg, 1x5 at 70kg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    trainer day \o/ and the shirts/hoodies were in \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ i look like all urban and inner city and cool.

ohp 57.5. surprised to get that, not because of my back but because form is drifting again on this one. i've apparently forgotten how to do the core bracing thing at the start. also had too much layback, if you ask me. in retrospect 57.5 was too heavy and i should have called it down to 55 or below where i could have controlled the full form much better. but i did get the three sets and a few of the reps were quite good.

deadlift 140. this was down 10lb from last time, but was a good call from him since a) i missed last week and b) didn't have my lucky elmo deadlift pants on. even so i pulled some skinny little adductor or hamstring muscle on my inner thigh at about the 4th rep and didn't finish the set, so GAH.

mr finland, who was a professional massage therapist before he burned out and went into nursing, came over while i was working on it with the hand-held car polisher and volunteered professional technical help. really nice of him since i would never ever try to hit him up for freebie time. so he was telling me how to find the muscle and what to do about it: essentially trace it all the way up to its origin and then down to its insertion, and release those two points first before moving into the muscle belly in between them.

only thing was, a pulled adductor is EXACTLY the kind of muscle you don't want to trace to its origin point when there's a room full of men watching you. and definitely not what mr t probably wanted me using his car polisher on. we agreed i'd take it home and deal with it on my own, and my deadlifts were done for the night.