Official diabetes diet misinformation - any candidates for the Darwin Awards?

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Week before last my mom spent two nights in the hospital. She was given what was supposedly a diabetic meal plan....

Breakfast: eggs, bacon, toast, corn flakes, milk, orange juice. Lunch: Roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, roll, and a piece of cinnamon cake. Dinner: Pasta with meat sauce, garlic bread, a slice of lemon pie!

Right before she was released her reading was 262! They were trying to give her 4 units of insulin when she's never needed insulin before, she takes pills. She opted to forego the insulin and just go back to the eating plan I encourage her to be on. She complains but her two days off plan at least showed her my plan works for her!

It's amazing that they recommend such high carb foods for diabetics. I remember a few months ago, someone in a diabetes Facebook group asked for some low carb food ideas. Then someone posted 3 responses with memes of photos and lists of foods, many of which were high in carbs. One of them even included waffle cones. Under each of her photo responses, I made a comment about specific foods in that particular list that is carb heavy. She complained and one of the mods removed 2 of my 3 comments and messaged me about how I shouldn't respond 3 times, that the foods listed were "healthy" (most of them were fruits heavy in carb, except the waffle cones really got me wondering WTH they were really thinking). I responded to the mod explaining that the question was for low carb, not "healthy" foods, and that the OP in that case probably was advised by her dr. to eat low carb and that she was clearly trying to find some ideas for how to comply - the suggestions for nutrient rich foods with heavy carbs still is not the right answer. The mod and I argued back and forth - she was clearly wrong, but was also very stubborn. I'm still in the group, but just rarely follow it anymore because of BS like that. The other mod and I are FB friends and get along well, but I don't understand how you can argue that something is ok as an answer for low carb regardless of carb content, just as long as you consider it to be "healthy." Seriously?!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    That's sounds like punishment (if it's not downright criminal).

Fortunately, she's got you for both her lawyer and probation officer.

PS. Did you by chance catch a look at the non-diabetic menu?

But don't you remember? You neeeeed carbs to live and function!
    You don't give booze to alcoholics;
    You don't give milk to the lactose intolerant;
    You don't feed carbs to diabetic kittycats (see above);
    You shove high-carb "treats" into sentient diabetic adult humans in hospitals, then offer insulin for dessert.....

It's a strange world out there.

We do so many things to humans that we'd never dream of doing to animals (and, likewise, we do things for animals to avoid undue suffering that we consider appalling if applied to humans), it's astounding.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You don't give booze to alcoholics;
    You don't give milk to the lactose intolerant;
    You don't feed carbs to diabetic kittycats (see above);
    You shove high-carb "treats" into sentient diabetic adult humans in hospitals, then offer insulin for dessert.....

It's a strange world out there.

No truer words have been said! Topsy turvy world
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott I did not get to see the standard menu. I can't even imagine! Maybe they get Honey Smacks, chocolate milk, and a venti mocha for their breakfast? lol
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Gadzooks, @anglyn1, you may be right!

That hospital probably brags about getting some self-created award for its "nutrition" program (which coincidentally boosts its customer satisfaction ratings in direct proportion to the carb content of its menu.....)

We should probably all have LC Bivouac Kits in our trunks with sufficient LC nutrition to last us a few days in a hostile environment (such as, ironically, your mom's hospital).

(Unfortunately, the diabetes kits I've seen tend to have glucose as the only "food"stuff. )
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    My dad is diabetic, and they did the same thing to him. They gave in "cranberry" juice, if you can believe it. Water, HFCS, minimal fruit and flavoring. They also gave him grain cereal, pudding, bread, macaroni. I just about had a screaming walleyed cat fit with the dietician. "We're giving him insulin. . ." they said. AAAAAHHHHHHH!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @closetlibrarian - This is the steep price patients pay for having their experience affect the hospitals' bottom line. It's got to be a conspiracy to elicit favorable satisfaction scores from the majority of older diabetics who prefer comfort food "recommended by doctors," which comes at the expense of BG control and patient education.

I guess there's no free lunch. At least, no carb-free lunch....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Week before last my mom spent two nights in the hospital. She was given what was supposedly a diabetic meal plan....

Breakfast: eggs, bacon, toast, corn flakes, milk, orange juice. Lunch: Roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, roll, and a piece of cinnamon cake. Dinner: Pasta with meat sauce, garlic bread, a slice of lemon pie!

Right before she was released her reading was 262! They were trying to give her 4 units of insulin when she's never needed insulin before, she takes pills. She opted to forego the insulin and just go back to the eating plan I encourage her to be on. She complains but her two days off plan at least showed her my plan works for her!

Hospitals are a joke!
    My daughter went into ICU for DKA with blood sugar over 400... We were completely unable to bring it down. She had taken so much insulin with no progress and naturally became acidotic. Anyway, upon being admitted, patients are immediately restricted from eating or even drinking anything because vomitting is expected. But, you're so thirsty it's like your a zombie and water is the only thing you can think about. So, I always sneak her water. (We've been through this several times). Even when blood sugar is normal again and blood ph is normal again too, they still won't let you eat any food at all. But, they will deliver glucose via IV... To counter the fact that they have you on an IV drip of insulin... I always thought that was so stupid. Like, if blood sugar is going too low, turn the damn drip down! Duh!
    Anyway, so you're starving for like 24-36 hours before you're cleared to eat from that lovely diabetic menu. Funny thing is, I sneak her no carb foods, like meat, while she's on restriction and nothing happens to blood sugar, of course and she doesn't need to suffer like the first times this happened before I understood how it all worked.
    Her first DKA was actually how I discovered Keto. I was researching how it all worked and came across it. lol
  • RainyDayBrunette
    RainyDayBrunette Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    KaseyDH83 wrote: »
    I recently read an article that cited the ADA as a source; it recommended people with T2 diabetes eat 45-60 grams of carbs PER MEAL!!

Yep it's crazy ! And think of all the kickbacks from big pharma that they get.
    More carbs equals more meds.
    Insulin, metformin, actos, glipizide... etc, etc =$coldhardcash$
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Yep, @MarieFromOz and @KaseyDH83, here it is, fittingly on an ADA page on diabetes "myths":
    Myth: People with diabetes should eat special diabetic foods.

Fact: A healthy meal plan for people with diabetes is generally the same as a healthy diet for anyone – low in saturated and trans fat, moderate in salt and sugar, with meals based on lean protein, non-starchy vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats and fruit. Diabetic and "dietetic" foods generally offer no special benefit. Most of them still raise blood glucose levels, are usually more expensive and can also have a laxative effect if they contain sugar alcohols.

Myth: If you have diabetes, you should only eat small amounts of starchy foods, such as bread, potatoes and pasta.

Fact: Starchy foods can be part of a healthy meal plan, but portion size is key. Whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables like potatoes, yams, peas and corn can be included in your meals and snacks. In addition to these starchy foods, fruits, beans, milk, yogurt, and sweets are also sources of carbohydrate that you need to count in your meal plan.

Wondering how much carbohydrate you can have? A place to start is about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate per meal. However, you may need more or less carbohydrate at meals depending on how you manage your diabetes. You and your health care team can figure out the right amount for you. Once you know how much carb to eat at a meal, choose your food and the portion size to match.

The ADA burned through over $50m in "charitable" fundraising expenses in a recent year, and that's using the ADA's own figures. If the ADA is spending that kind of cash on fundraising, it's probably not because it's getting a poor return on the investment....

• Dragonwolf
    Options

Hospitals are a joke!
    My daughter went into ICU for DKA with blood sugar over 400... We were completely unable to bring it down. She had taken so much insulin with no progress and naturally became acidotic. Anyway, upon being admitted, patients are immediately restricted from eating or even drinking anything because vomitting is expected. But, you're so thirsty it's like your a zombie and water is the only thing you can think about. So, I always sneak her water. (We've been through this several times). Even when blood sugar is normal again and blood ph is normal again too, they still won't let you eat any food at all. But, they will deliver glucose via IV... To counter the fact that they have you on an IV drip of insulin... I always thought that was so stupid. Like, if blood sugar is going too low, turn the damn drip down! Duh!
    Anyway, so you're starving for like 24-36 hours before you're cleared to eat from that lovely diabetic menu. Funny thing is, I sneak her no carb foods, like meat, while she's on restriction and nothing happens to blood sugar, of course and she doesn't need to suffer like the first times this happened before I understood how it all worked.
    Her first DKA was actually how I discovered Keto. I was researching how it all worked and came across it. lol

But that makes sense!

That reminds me of when I went into labor. As soon as I was admitted, I wasn't allowed food, and could only have ice chips for water. Because apparently the likelihood of needing surgery is so high that it warrants forcing healthy women to basically run a marathon on no fuel... And I had made the mistake of not eating before going in, so I had eaten at about 7am, was in the hospital around noon, and didn't get anything to eat until midnight (and this was before I went keto). And they wondered why labor stalled...

Of course, we're also talking about the same people who, until about 40 years ago, didn't think blood sugar could be controlled at all, so there's that. Should we really get into the logic (or rather, lack thereof) of their assertion that carbs are the body's preferred fuel source? (Seriously, if it's the preferred one, why is storage of it limited in favor of virtually unlimited fat storage?!)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Hospitals are a joke!

But that makes sense!

That reminds me of when I went into labor. As soon as I was admitted, I wasn't allowed food, and could only have ice chips for water. Because apparently the likelihood of needing surgery is so high that it warrants forcing healthy women to basically run a marathon on no fuel... And I had made the mistake of not eating before going in, so I had eaten at about 7am, was in the hospital around noon, and didn't get anything to eat until midnight (and this was before I went keto). And they wondered why labor stalled...

Of course, we're also talking about the same people who, until about 40 years ago, didn't think blood sugar could be controlled at all, so there's that. Should we really get into the logic (or rather, lack thereof) of their assertion that carbs are the body's preferred fuel source? (Seriously, if it's the preferred one, why is storage of it limited in favor of virtually unlimited fat storage?!)

Actually, the original treatment for type 1 diabetes - before insulin was discovered - was to feed very low carb and to have lots of alcohol (in order to prevent glycogen release). Of course, type 1's would still die but this method kept some patients alive for years during most of the "honeymoon period" (the time it takes for our immune system to completely kill pancreatic beta cells).
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @Dragonwolf
    Should we really get into the logic (or rather, lack thereof) of their assertion that carbs are the body's preferred fuel source? (Seriously, if it's the preferred one, why is storage of it limited in favor of virtually unlimited fat storage?!)

The typical answer I get from flat-earthers in the health professions is that ketosis is an emergency state that evolved to allow you to survive long enough to find food, and that it's not designed for daily life. (Of course, you're not exactly going to be carb-loading after you kill that bear or whale, unless it just snacked on chips and you go straight to its tummy.)

And there are probably plenty of health professionals around who don't view childbirth as an emergency or even a marathon.

• Dragonwolf
    Options

Hospitals are a joke!

But that makes sense!

Actually, the original treatment for type 1 diabetes - before insulin was discovered - was to feed very low carb and to have lots of alcohol (in order to prevent glycogen release). Of course, type 1's would still die but this method kept some patients alive for years during most of the "honeymoon period" (the time it takes for our immune system to completely kill pancreatic beta cells).

There was a point in time between the discovery of insulin (1920s) and the admission that glucose could be controlled in a meaningful, meal-by-meal basis (1980ish, according to Dr. Bernstein, who lived through it), during which low carb type diets for diabetics were abandoned.
    @Dragonwolf
    Should we really get into the logic (or rather, lack thereof) of their assertion that carbs are the body's preferred fuel source? (Seriously, if it's the preferred one, why is storage of it limited in favor of virtually unlimited fat storage?!)

The typical answer I get from flat-earthers in the health professions is that ketosis is an emergency state that evolved to allow you to survive long enough to find food, and that it's not designed for daily life. (Of course, you're not exactly going to be carb-loading after you kill that bear or whale, unless it just snacked on chips and you go straight to its tummy.)

And there are probably plenty of health professionals around who don't view childbirth as an emergency or even a marathon.

Emergency? Generally speaking, no (it can become one, but labor in and of itself, is not an emergency).

Marathon? Only someone who hasn't actually given birth (or perhaps someone who was fortunate enough for it to be quick and easy) would claim that it's not, especially in light of objective evidence that says it is.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf
    "Marathon? Only someone who hasn't actually given birth (or perhaps someone who was fortunate enough for it to be quick and easy) would claim that it's not, especially in light of objective evidence that says it is."

Forget pregnancy... That's why I've always stuck with really vigourous sex.... I prefer 10k's. LOL
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @Dragonwolf
    "Marathon? Only someone who hasn't actually given birth (or perhaps someone who was fortunate enough for it to be quick and easy) would claim that it's not, especially in light of objective evidence that says it is."

Forget pregnancy... That's why I've always stuck with really vigourous sex.... I prefer 10k's. LOL

Relay?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
  • RalfLott
    Options
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Practicing wellness does not cover hospital overhead costs. Type 2 diabetes that manage to get off meds by eating LC is a major set back income wise for the health care industry up front and a real set back when the secondary effects of high blood sugar sets in down the road.

However with the masses eating the way they do the health care industry will do just fine as long as insurance is paying the bills.