Eating healthy on a budget and time constraint

Options
2»

Replies

• Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I found a salad - put together at lunch time - avocado, tuna, dried cherries or cranberries, pecans - knife, spoon, container
    Normal - Avocado, 0.75 avocado (5 oz) 120
    Great Value - Tuna Pouch, 1 serv. 80
    Ocean Spray Crazins - Dried Cranberries, 20 gram 65
    Generic - Peacans, 10 g 53
    Add Food Quick Tools 318
  • Ginny218
    Options
    To roast - Cut vegetables in same size pieces for the ones with the same roasting times or same cookie sheets.Put in zip lock bag with 2 tbs of oil and shake til glossy. Can use a bowl but bag is easier. Put each roasting time on a different cookie sheet covered with foil and sprayed or oiled. Can add lower times onto the cookie sheet later if want. Make sure plenty of room between pieces or you will steam them instead of roasting them. Depending how done you want them - at least fork tender but better with browning on the edges. Can flip in the middle if want more crispyness.
    happy
    General Roasting Times for Vegetables
    Cooking times are for roasting vegetables at 425°F.

Root vegetables (beets, potatoes, carrots,sweet potatoes, parsnips): 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how small you cut them
    Winter squash (butternut squash, acorn squash): 20 to 60 minutes, depending on how small you cut them
    Crucifers (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts): 15 to 25 minutes
    Soft vegetables (zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers): 10 to 20 minutes
    Thin vegetables (asparagus, green beans): 10 to 20 minutes
    Onions: 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them
    Tomatoes: 15 to 20 minutes
  • Ginny218
    Options
    try these - not hard and good for you
  • debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Chicken vegie salad with quinoa, makes enough for the whole week with extra
    2 cucumbers chopped
    2 avocado chopped
    4 firm roma tomatoes chopped
    1 medium red onion chopped
    3 large poached chicken breast chopped
    1.5 to 2 cups cooked quinoa
    Juice of one large lemon
    Salt and pepper to taste
    4 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil
    4 tablespoons of vinegar

Put all the chopped goodies in a large bowl, add lemon juice and stir well. Then add olive oil and vinegar, stir well and refrigerate. You can eat this as a dish alone, make it a wrap, put it over cold pasta or in a pita.

Poaching chicken. I use my electric pressure cooker, family pack of chicken breast, 2 cups water add garlic and any spices that suite me at the moment. Set the machine as manual for 12 minutes. Use quick release method.

P.s. I mix it up a lot by using different dressings in place of the oil and vinegar. I have used pesto sauce, raspberry vinegarette, spicy italian. I have also used shrimp in place of chicken. I make it this size and 3 of us eat it for lunch for 5 days with a fruit on the side.
    I hope that you will try it. Enjoy

I just bought all the ingredients for this plus a large watermelon, in California, not counting the oil and vinegar and my bill was 16.56. For 3 people for 5 day it equals 1.11 per person per day.