Non-American Carbs...what's up with them?

Options

Replies

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The suburbinization in the US (and lack of access to public trasport or even sidewalks and resulting dependence on cars) is literally killing people. In many neighborhoods here in Austin its common to drive to do errands even less than a mile away because its simply not safe to walk (no sidewalks or sidewalks cut off by ugly highway overpasses).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    hakamruth wrote: »

Also many cultures have exercise incorporated in their daily lives. In Korea, most people do a lot of walking. The country has a lot of hills, even in Seoul you have places where you have to climb stairs to get to a specific neighborhood. If you look at Holland, most people bike every where rather than cars. There are probably more bicycles than cars (don't know for sure but it looked that way). I believe I read an article that French people tend to walk a lot, enjoying the day, their surroundings. Most Americans (that I know) are very sedentary. They drive rather than walk, even if it just a couple of blocks.

Even though "abs are made in the kitchen (not the gym)" is a popular slogan, I think there is a lot of truth to this. I hope so, because I'm a big fan of recreational walking and biking, even when I'm not doing them for exercise.

• hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Tanukiko wrote: »
    The suburbinization in the US (and lack of access to public trasport or even sidewalks and resulting dependence on cars) is literally killing people. In many neighborhoods here in Austin its common to drive to do errands even less than a mile away because its simply not safe to walk (no sidewalks or sidewalks cut off by ugly highway overpasses).

The first time I moved into the suburbs, around the age of 10, I was so puzzled why certain areas had no sidewalks. It took me a while to realize that people in the suburbs did not walk! My brother and I were the odds ones, who would walk every where. My father would not drive us. If we can't walk or take public transportation you stayed home! So we walked or rode our bikes every where. It wasn't until I was in college where everything was on campus (so did not have to travel far) and started to eat American food 3 times a day that I started to gain weight. And have been fighting it ever since.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

It's the same way around here in Ohio, too. Drives me bonkers, because I'd love to walk to more places, but it's literally not safe to do so.

The first time I moved into the suburbs, around the age of 10, I was so puzzled why certain areas had no sidewalks. It took me a while to realize that people in the suburbs did not walk! My brother and I were the odds ones, who would walk every where. My father would not drive us. If we can't walk or take public transportation you stayed home! So we walked or rode our bikes every where. It wasn't until I was in college where everything was on campus (so did not have to travel far) and started to eat American food 3 times a day that I started to gain weight. And have been fighting it ever since.

It's a catch-22 -- people don't walk, because the sidewalks are either non-existent, don't actually lead anywhere, or stop abruptly and aren't usable, and the sidewalks are in such horrible shape, because there's "no demand," because "people don't walk." It's horrible.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options

It's a catch-22 -- people don't walk, because the sidewalks are either non-existent, don't actually lead anywhere, or stop abruptly and aren't usable, and the sidewalks are in such horrible shape, because there's "no demand," because "people don't walk." It's horrible.

It totally us a catch 22 or chicken and egg situation. What came first...the iPhone or the demand for iPhone? Pisses me off all the fear mongers in local goverment who keep harping on cost of public transport yet propose adding extra lanes to highways to help with traffic. That is such a crappy bandaid for a growing city. Poor suburbanites gripe that they cant take the train because there's no way to get from train to their subdivision. Duh...kiss and ride lots. Or how about they start demanding public transit in their little suburbs or maybe walk the 1.5 miles or maybe bike (and demand bike lanes).

We were in portland a couple weeks ago...omg that city is like a European city. Pure pleasure getting around there on foot, bike and public transit. Its called Smart Urban Planning...more people should demand it from their local government planning bodies. Ok rant over ;-)
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been to Europe twice - lost weight both trips LOL.

I think Europeans and Asians are typically more active. It's also much easier and convenient in most cities to walk everywhere than drive. Americans have always had this love affair with their cars, every since Henry Ford made them mainstream. It bugs the crap out of me as well @Dragonwolf these days when my hubby and friend refuse to take a 5 min walk and insist on driving everywhere. We live in a very small town and there is no reason to drive anywhere at all. They'll circle the parking lot until a front space opens. By the time they park, I could have been in the store and out. Gas for the most part is cheaper here in the US than overseas too. That plays some part in it.

I rarely saw people snack over there either. Now granted, it's been over a decade since I went, but I distinctly remember the lack of people snacking. American food also seems to have sugar added to EVERYTHING. Not so much in Europe. I remember ordering things that I though would be sweet, but were not.

It is sad the rest of the world is catching up to our bad habits though.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

We didn't have sidewalks where I grew up because people liked the rural feeling, even though it was a suburb, albeit a very quiet and safe one for walking. We walked or biked everywhere. Now I actually do live in a rural area with few sidewalks, and it's safe enough for walking, though I prefer mountain biking on trails to risking my life on whether a driver is paying attention or not.

P.S. If you're going to walk where there are no sidewalks, walk against the flow of vehicle traffic, so you can see what's going on!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I think its some part lack of education, some part processed foods, some part being super busy, and some part cultural holdovers on the food while we've become increasingly sedentary in lifestyle. I live in a state that is usually on the bottom of the "healthiest state" lists, as well as the economic lists. I don't know numbers or statistics and don't bother giving them to me because my eyes will simply glaze over :) . What I do know is that the state used to be heavily employed by coal miners, factory workers, sawmill workers, a few other industrial types, and a few farmers. Foods heavy in carbs were the norm because they were cheap and fed large families. Today, the factories are mostly gone, the mines are following at a rapid pace as is farming, and the most employable jobs are behind a desk. Carb heavy food is still cheap and feeds a lot of people. This is just what I've observed in my state, I've never been outside the country, and I can't say what other states do. I have a feeling this is the same throughout most of the states, though.

How sad is it that I guessed correctly that you must also live in WV!

• thubten1
    thubten1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just give up your car.You dont need a federal program to do that.You will lose a lot of weight,and save over $5000 a year.
    If you cant do that,park at least 1/2 mile from work or wherever you are going.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The portion sizes in every country are different. Example. Mcdonalds, I've been to Spain, Thailand and meals are smaller compared to usa.

That's definitely true here in the UK. A "large" soda and fries at McDonald's in the UK is the same size as a US "medium" soda or fries.
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not in the US, but we have the same problem in Australia. I think it is a combination of large portion sizes, lots of processed foods with hidden carbs but also the fact that a lot of the carb consumption comes from sugar.
    Lots of mediterraneans eat plenty of breads and maybe pasta, but they often don't eat a lot of sweets - maybe small serves of fruit and honey - and cakes are an infrequent indulgence.
    Also in Italy pasta is mostly served as a small appetiser followed by a main course of meat and vegetables and salads. It's not served in whopping big bowls as a main meal.
    We've lost our way somehow.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The portion sizes in every country are different. Example. Mcdonalds, I've been to Spain, Thailand and meals are smaller compared to usa.

Yep, I've seen the huge American portion sizes, plus your food is sooo cheap compared to Australia.
    I know that our Large sizes at McDonalds et al are Americas small size.

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Yep, I've seen the huge American portion sizes, plus your food is sooo cheap compared to Australia.

Yes!! The prices kill me here in the UK, no wonder I'm eating less than when I was in the States, everything costs more, not that I couldn't use the extra motivation to eat less. The $.99 menu is the £.99 menu here and the $5 foot long at Subway is £5. Problem with that is that the £ is worth quite a bit more than the $.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Like other things that are cheap in the US (oil, gas), the price of fast food doesn't reflect the eventual long-term social costs once the chicken (nuggets) come home to roost.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's an interesting graphic from Washington State University: % of household income spent on food worldwide comparison. 'Relatively' cheap food means more eaten, more often.
    wsm.wsu.edu/researcher/wsmaug11_billions.pdf
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Here's an interesting graphic from Washington State University: % of household income spent on food worldwide comparison. 'Relatively' cheap food means more eaten, more often.

Wow. What whopping disparities!

Thanks for posting.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@canadjineh thanks for sharing that interesting link. It is easy to tell what countries subsidize food cost. Those who have to spend 30-40%+ of income are really going to be immobile I expect.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I grumble a lot about how much more our (Canadian) food is than what Americans pay, but I my grumble less after seeing that. Just under 10% isn't that bad.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    thubten1 wrote: »
    Just give up your car.You dont need a federal program to do that.You will lose a lot of weight,and save over $5000 a year.
    If you cant do that,park at least 1/2 mile from work or wherever you are going.

Again, it's not as simple as that. It is literally not safe to do that in many places in the US, and even in different parts of otherwise pedestrian friendly cities. Public transportation in many cities, if it exists at all, is frequently unreliable or doesn't reach certain residential areas in useful times, if at all.

I live in one of the better areas in my city for pedestrians aside from downtown and the big college campus, and the nearest grocery stores are roughly 3 miles away, and require crossing 4 and 5 lane streets with speed limits of 35 and 45 mph, and large intersections with barely enough time to actually cross, let alone trying to do so with a 5 year old and an arm or wagon fill of groceries.

My son's current school is about 8 miles away, and on a rural highway with no sidewalks, no shoulder, and a 45mph speed limit. So picking him up or dropping him off when needed, or going to parent teacher meetings requires a car.

I'd love to walk to more places, and do so every chance I get, since the small business district of my suburb is in walking distance and fairly safe to get to. Unfortunately, walking everywhere entirely, or even most places, is out of the question.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think another big factor is eating out versus preparing home cooked meals. Because more women work in Western culture, there's less time for home cooked meals, and when people do eat at home, it's often a ready meal, not a meal prepared with fresh, raw ingredients. I know that's what contributed to my poor state of health.

I just want to flag that healthy eating for the family is both parents' job, not just the job of the ones with the genitals on the inside of her body. If the moms are too busy at work to cook proper meals, it's time for the dads to step up, and vice versa.