Ugh. Is there a way to counteract carbicide?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
OK so seriously, baking is my downfall. Last week I baked doughnuts with my boys and ended up eating half of one. Tonight I baked cookies that I need to take to a church event tomorrow and ended up eating one plus some of the cookie dough. Normally I can resist baked goods but apparently when I bake it myself, I have a harder time!

Anyhow, I think I just had like 30 gm carbs in one sitting! Is there a way to make all that sugar have less of an effect? (I'm somewhat insulin resistant but not diabetic.) Like would it help my poor confused fat-adapted keto body if I I eat fat and protein now, or just remind myself not to do that again? :tongue:

Replies

• sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Probably fretting over it is worse for you than the half a donut and one cookie.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Seriously it's like you and I had the same afternoon today. I made homemade chocolate chip cookies for my boys. Couldn't resist licking the spoon. I didn't have a cookie but they aren't through cooking yet. We shall see.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    @sault_girl not fretting; I just know last weekend I ended up feeling really bloated and ick the next day so I don't know if there's a way to help prevent that.

@megemrj it was a new recipe so I kind of wanted to taste-test them; should have just let DH do that!
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i went to the rodeo the other night with my family and my brother offered me some of his iced tea. as soon as it was hitting my lips, he announced, "it's 90% unsweet + 10% sweet." it was all i could do to drink it!!! even that little 10% was haunting me. but i ended up drinking it and enjoying it and not sweating it. i agree with the above - fretting is far worse that having one mess-up.
  • macchiatto
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you. Still not fretting. ;) My digestive system is just not happy with me. Started feeling the effects about 20 mins ago. Might try some peppermint tea or broth to settle my stomach.

At least this feeling will keep me from being tempted to eat the rest! I seem to do OK if I have fairly small amounts of sugar or wheat but this was a bit much.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The quickest way back to Keto is to burn off the carbs ASAP. Do some kind of high intensity (whatever your personal level is for that) exercise for about 10 minutes. Get your heart pumping. Work your muscles. You will burn it right off.
    But I wouldn't eat anything else for a while because you initiated insulin and are in fat storing mode. You would just store the fat you ate until the glucose is pretty much spent. Especially being IR. You've triggered insulin and being IR, you will over produce insulin to some degree depending on how advanced it is.
    Exercise is your best bet to remedy carbicide
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thank you, @Sunny_bunny_! That's helpful, and also encouraging because I actually worked out for 20 mins as soon as I got the boys in bed.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    OK so seriously, baking is my downfall. Last week I baked doughnuts with my boys and ended up eating half of one. Tonight I baked cookies that I need to take to a church event tomorrow and ended up eating one plus some of the cookie dough. Normally I can resist baked goods but apparently when I bake it myself, I have a harder time!

Anyhow, I think I just had like 30 gm carbs in one sitting! Is there a way to make all that sugar have less of an effect? (I'm somewhat insulin resistant but not diabetic.) Like would it help my poor confused fat-adapted keto body if I I eat fat and protein now, or just remind myself not to do that again? :tongue:

Stop eating them is the ONLY thing that works in my case. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    30 grams of carbs won't even knock you out of ketosis, if you stop now. Just dust yourself off, and get back to your WOE.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    30 grams of carbs won't even knock you out of ketosis, if you stop now. Just dust yourself off, and get back to your WOE.

Thanks. :)
    It was at the end of the day so it put me at just under 50 net for the day.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat some butter fat or MCT oil to slow the absorption and glycemic spike of the sugar and wheat

Exercise was a good suggestion too

Lastly, whoever told you to make cookies needs a 'healthy' conversation! Next time see if you can bring natural sugars in fruit minimally, maybe start a new trend.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Getting back on plan is just a meal away. This is life, we are not perfect and we will have ups and downs. I learned the hard way last weekend giving myself a day off with my low carb plan. After one day, I was back into food craving mode. It took a good 3 days of mostly proteins and fats to get back to feeling good.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @bisky that is so true. While I have a clear understanding in my case how living on carbs will lead me to a premature death I do not live in fear of them. After being down 50 pounds and have maintained at 200 pounds for 12 months I know LCHF works for my body. I know how to recover (just stop eating carbs again). :)
  • lithezebra
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

Thanks. :)
    It was at the end of the day so it put me at just under 50 net for the day.
    No problem! You're still in ketosis, and way way far under the SAD.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Eating 30g carbs, especially from a source of sugar and grains will absolutely stop ketone production even if you did stay under 50 that day, unless you get right to work burning it off with activity.
    The idea of maintaining ketosis at up to 50g a day (often more for very active people), is based on eating small amounts of that 50g throughout the day and none of it coming from blood sugar spiking sources.
    With that said, it's nothing to get down about if it happens because you will burn through it and get right back if you get right back on plan and even faster if you help it out with some exercise.
    I just have issue with the idea that "you're still in ketosis after eating 30g carbs from cookies because you didn't go over 50g that day". That's just not going to be true. And it confuses being low carb in general with being in ketosis. They are not the same. You can be low carb while eating cookies, sure. But you will have a very hard time being Keto with them. It's not impossible though. There was a guy in the group before that ate a snickers before a very long, intense bike ride. He never stopped producing ketones. It was the high intensity activity that made it possible.
  • lithezebra
    edited March 2016
    Options
    30 grams of carbs is only 120 calories. Even if you don't do much of anything, and your bmr is 1200 calories a day you'll be done with 120 calories in less than 3 hours.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i once heard:
    don't let one meal ruin your whole day
    don't let one day ruin your whole week
    don't let one week ruin your whole month

i think your situation applies :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you, Sunny_bunny_! That's helpful, and also encouraging because I actually worked out for 20 mins as soon as I got the boys in bed.

Ditto. Exercise is about it for me too.... Darn it.

I find drinking some apple cider vinegar helps a bit with keeping FBG lower the next day if I had carbs late in the day.

If it was me, I'd be out of ketosis, or low in ketones, for a day or so after eating 30g of carbs in one sitting. I'd eat very very low carb the next day, or even skip breakfast to get back into a ketotic (is that a word? LOL) state sooner - if that is a concern.

Yesterday I had a nut binge. I ate about a cup of almonds and macadamia nuts, with about a Tbs of cacao nibs, at dinner. My other food for the day was ground beef, two strips of bacon, BPC, and a handful of porkrinds dipped in 2 Tbs sour cream. (Not my healthiest day - don't judge me! ;):blush: ) That was just over 30g of carbs for the day, and 1800 kcal. (Damn nuts)

This morning, my FBG was 6.3 (about 115?). Yuck! Ketones were barely trace. I am fasting again today, and by early afternoon my BG was down to a 6.0. I am not satisfied unless it is at or below the mid 5's (~100).

Contrast that to the day before when I had fasted and my FBG was about a 4, and ketones were moderate.

I have seen people mockingly say carbs (or sugar) is the devil. Sometimes I think they are right. Carbs and sugars are my own personal devils. LOL

How was your ketones and FBG or BG today?
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thanks, all!
    @nvmomketo thanks for checking in. I'm out of keto sticks (and I don't have a blood glucose monitor) so I'm not sure. I feel good though, thankfully. (Other than extra tired, but I think that's from taking Zyrtec last night.) The one other time I overate sugar I ended up with several days of nasty acid reflux but I think I had more sugar that day than this time.

I haven't actually decided yet if I want to stay in ketosis long-term at maintenance or just a general LC/HF/AP. I'm going to do some experimenting once my weight's been stable for a little while.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all!
    @nvmomketo thanks for checking in. I'm out of keto sticks (and I don't have a blood glucose monitor) so I'm not sure. I feel good though, thankfully. (Other than extra tired, but I think that's from taking Zyrtec last night.) The one other time I overate sugar I ended up with several days of nasty acid reflux but I think I had more sugar that day than this time.

I haven't actually decided yet if I want to stay in ketosis long-term at maintenance or just a general LC/HF/AP. I'm going to do some experimenting once my weight's been stable for a little while.

I feel off after a a "high carb" day (of 30g). Crazy how the body adjusted to that being a high day. I am glad you are feeling pretty good. :)

I seem more carb sensitive now that I have been very LCHF for so long (9 months). My BG is higher now than it was 7 months ago. I used to think I would add back some carbs once I hit goal (I'm about 10lbs above goal) but now I'm starting to wonder if that is doable. It sure would be nice to have the extra carb and food flexibility.

I also thought about cycling in and out of ketosis based on the season. Eat a few more carbs in the summer and fall so I could enjoy the plat variety available, and then go lower carb when fewer plants would naturally be available.... I wonder how the gut biome would react to that or if the changes would be too fast?

Self experimentation is sort of fun... and it differs so much from the experimentation of my youth. :D