Deep fried butter maybe? LOL
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Corny Dog(s).......
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    UGH! The fair killed my calorie count this past week! But I tell myself that all the walking and taking care of the animals help me earn some of those calories. My family shows dairy cows so I was washing, clipping, walking and milking cows all week and carrying hay bales, sacks of feed and buckets of water all week.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    fair food only comes around like never lol indulge!!! all that walking burns off some of it anyway

i just went and had some deep fried oreos. OMG.
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Last year there was a stand that had fajita meat on a stick - I would keep my eye out for something like that, I had the chicken and it was delicious!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think you should just take the day easy and enjoy yourself. You could definitely do a workout before/after but you will be walking around a lot and burning calories there. Don't splurge and eat everything in sight, but don't completely limit yourself. Have something tasty and greasy! I know that when I head to the fair next weekend I'll allow myself a couple little things, just keep on track the rest of the week and you'll be fine!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I always get the Navajo Tacos (Taco beef/Chili on a scone/fry bread with lettuce and cheese). These things are usually large enough to split two or three ways.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying "take the day off!"

BUT

I also realize that sometimes you just don't want to do that - you want to be good and resist the temptations to go back to old ways. So you could do what some people have suggested, where you eat a meal beforehand and take an apple or something.

Or just when you go stick to the roasted corn (and don't have them dip it in that bucket of butter!) or the meat sticks are usually good as well. If you want to eat something "horrible" eat like ONE corn dog and nothing else. Limiting yourself is the key at the fair. Don't do what I do and try every little thing haha.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    bring your own food.......and there is ONE thing you just have to have......split it with the group. Usually a bite or 2 will satisfy that craving. You work to hard to have to work even harder than you have already do!
  • DewlyNoted
    Options
    Pickle on a stick, corn on the cob (no butter), kabobs. Avoid anything fried.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I went to the fair this weekend and had a pulled pork sandwich with baked beans. Certainly not great but I had a very light lunch and went for a run in the morning. I also had a frozen banana for a treat :) As others have suggested, pork chops, turkey legs, and corn are other healthier options.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    I can't believe you guys are saying "Bring your own food" to the FAIR. Wha????? You are no longer invited!! :grumble:
  • hlp423
    hlp423 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well I used my fair day as a splurge and I just split everything I wanted with my BF. Whomever suggest the Turkey Leg think twice... That thing had like 7000 mg of sodium in it and over 1200 cals. lol
  • themdg
    themdg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wish our local County Fairs in Utah weren't so silly. I miss the Fairs that all of your are describing from when I lived in Indiana. Elephant-Ears? Yes, please.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My family is going to the fair for a while, and it will be too long to avoid eating.. I'm kinda worried about blowing my calories haha. Anyone know any low calorie foods that are at the fair..if that exists lol.

No. That's sacrilege and I demand you retract that concept immediately. :laugh:

I go to the fair once a year. I eat a big massive sausage covered with onions and peppers in a huge white roll. I have fried dough (shared with others). I have kettle corn. And, more often than not, I have something with lots of ice cream (this year it was a HUGE root beer float - haven't had one of those since I was a kid).

I also eat healthy food for the remainder of my day, and drink lots of water.

It's once a year. Even if I managed to eat an additional 3,500 calories over and above my budget, I'd be putting on one pound.

Just don't make a habit of it, and you'll be fine.
  • Woly1
    Woly1 Posts: 16
    Options
    I just went to the fair yesterday...I'm proud to say I did not stray from my low-carb plan! I ate a big protein-filled meal beforehand and had a chicken skewer at the food court. I brought my own almond fruit bar for "dessert" for when my friends were eating funnel cakes-- they laughed at me but that's okay :)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    its one day enjoy it

I went to the fair two weeks ago and had half a funnel cake , a pepsie 20oz and didn`t regret it for a second I ate my main meal before I went but even if I hadn`t I would not have worried about one fair meal out
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    fair food only comes around like never lol indulge!!! all that walking burns off some of it anyway

i just went and had some deep fried oreos. OMG.

You win!!! I'm sure those oreos were super yummy!!!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Good for you that you're planning for it! It is so easy to overdo it at the fair. I'm not a big fan of the "it's a special occasion so treat yourself" logic. I stopped thinking of food as a treat before I made my journey, so skipping the bad stuff doesn't feel like I'm missing out on any kind of a reward or goodie. Besides - I always feel disgusting after I eat stuff that I knew was loaded but I just didn't want to resist at the time... Makes my next day's workout a total chore!

Walking around burns off some calories, but it's at such a slow pace that it burns very little (IMO) so I don't even count it.

There are a few healthier options if you look around:

- BBQ places often have grilled chicken sandwiches. Ditch 1/2 the bun, skip the mayo and cheese, go light on the BBQ sauce & you're pretty safe. The chicken there is always AWESOME so you don't have to worry about lack of flavor.

- There are lots that now offer fresh fruit bowls. Even a couple of chocolate-dipped strawberries is a nice indulgence without going overboard.

- Shish-kabobs and fajitas are also better options. I skip the pita bread that comes with the kabobs and the tortilla with the fajitas.

- A really small soft-serve is also a nice treat.

- I skip everything that's fried with one exception: my husband and I always share a small funnel cake with my parents.

I also recommend taking your own snacks. Pretzels for when you want something salty, fruit to help fill you up, and a protein bar or sweet granola bar for the sweet tooth. It's easier to resist the bad stuff when your tummy isn't growling. Also drink lots of water and bring your own diet sodas if you like them. I know some people think it's bad, but diet soda is my crutch when I feel like eating something that's loaded.

Have fun!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    diabetic or not im not giving up my funnel cakes i get those things only at fairs dang it i just split it with some one or give half to any kids we have with us