Fair Food ?

Options
My family is going to the fair for a while, and it will be too long to avoid eating.. I'm kinda worried about blowing my calories haha. Anyone know any low calorie foods that are at the fair..if that exists lol.

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    hey, it's a special occasion, why not splurge a little? just plan for it in your calories? And fair = walking a lot so you're gonna burn it off. I did that with my fair here, half a fried dough and small coke and i was still under =)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Eat a nice healthy lunch before you go and pack an orange and apple to take along. Resist funnel cakes at all costs.
    Or do what I did and work out for 2 hours before you go.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I wish! I would try to bring some protein bars and/or other healthy snacks with you! That usually helps me stay better on track.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The fair only comes around once a year and I will not pass up the opportunity to have some salt and vinegar fries and an elephant ear... lol I will make sure to do alittle extra in my workouts the day before and the day after to compensate.... Best of Luck...
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Bring some healthy snacks...grapes in a small container are convenient and don't take up alot of room. Protein bars or granola bars.

But really...I splurge a little myself when I take myself to the fair.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    1 day a week we plan a "blow" day where we do not count calories (not like a free for all, but a little more lax with meals and maybe a desert). We have had great results despite this. Your body kinda obsorbs one day of splurging. I would pick 1 or 2 items you love from the fair and maybe pack a few healthy things to fill in the time. Maybe pull an extra workout to add an extra cushion.

We actually read the free day was a good idea and use it when we go camping or have a bday party. It helps to not look calorie obsesive around our friends too.

I agree about funnel cakes, but even mini donuts I would buy them to share ;) Those babies are deep fried too.

My downfall is the gyros, a steak gyro is in my future this week. Houston County fair starts Wednesday here. I will have a bite of my kids shake instead of my own, so compromise there. I will probably pack some bananas and fruit if we go for a whole day. Then there is the beer, guess if we go to that tent I will hope they stock BL 55's :)
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Most traditional fair foods are pretty unhealthy. That's where they unveil inventions like deep-fried coke and bacon-ice-cream parfaits. Off the top of my head, the only good food I can think of is roasted corn-on-the-cob (YUM!).

Your best bet is to pack some healthy snacks. But remember you'll be walking all day, so go ahead and enjoy some traditional treats in moderation!
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I love hot dogs with mustard and sauerkraut! They're not the best food, but they're not the worst either!

Hope you have a great time!
  • SZewski
    SZewski Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Grilled corn on the cob, no butter.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I found chicken sausages at walmart with only 120 calories, kinda like a brat :) Use an 80 calorie bun and you aren't even really splurging! There are lite hotdogs I really like too, even lower in calorie.
    Other than salt I think saurkraut is good for you :) Dr Oz thinks so anyways?
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    hey, it's a special occasion, why not splurge a little? just plan for it in your calories? And fair = walking a lot so you're gonna burn it off. I did that with my fair here, half a fried dough and small coke and i was still under =)

^^ you'll be doing a LOT of walking at the fair and then step up your cardio tomorrow.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    there's an article on yahoo home page...says to stick to candy apples (330 cal, 5 fat, 4 fiber), cotton candy (100cal/oz), and if available, corn on the cob, and kabobs
  • cmacohio1975
    cmacohio1975 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    my kids are in 4H so we spend a whole week at fair. We pack our own lunches most days, but I do enjoy a grilled pork shop and an ear of corn. :)
  • Rayzback
    Rayzback Posts: 73
    Options
    More like unfair food :}
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    One day a year to enjoy the fair. I figure there is a LOOOOOT of walking so I can allow myself a few splurges for the day then back on track the next day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    I think you lose your "American" card for suggesting low cal fair food.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You may try to find the farmers market part of the faire and buy fresh fruits and veggies. Sometimes you can find a decent burrito or wrap sandwich. I tend to bring my own food.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    I just found out our fair, The Iowa State Fair, has a fair food ap. I dont have a smart phone but a coworker showed me. It has location on the grounds, as well as calories and how long it would take you to work it off doing various activities. German Chocolate funnel cake, 1500 cal!
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    turkey leg, corn on cob
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I got a soft pretzel, I'm guessing that's better than most things.