machines vs. free weights

Options
I have a membership at planet fitness where I have access to a trainer. Well this guy just rubs me the wrong way. I do not know why. But anyways I meet with him asking for him to show me the compound exercises that were listed on this forum. Well I think he did not like that at all just from his change in tone and posture. He wants me to do everything on the machines since I was out of the gym for so long. I hate those dang things. I do get his point about form. I just think there could be a balance between them. I asked him to show me the dead lift. He said I wasnt ready to do that. Well finally on Saturday I asked these 2 strangers if they could show me. You could tell one was training the other. So he should me two different ways. One he said works the area that women are most concerned with. Then he had his friend show my the form of the other.

I wanted to ask for some input. If you do think that I should be on the machines will you tell me how long you think it would be before I could safely move to the free weights. I go to he gym at least 5 days a week. The days I do not go I feel like crap all day!!

Replies

• DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There's no need to start with machines. That's a bad trainer. If you are comfortable asking strangers for advice then that might be a better way to go. Just because someone is a trainer, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Especially when it comes to women and strength training. Youtube is a great place to learn about form as well.

Have you thought about any programs you would like to follow? Like Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women? I started out with Stronglifts, which is a very simple program consisting of just 5 lifts. Now I have a (good) trainer who makes my programs for me and I am getting stronger all the time. Don't let this guy put you off!
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @sucampbeN Thats kinda what I thought. I do not mind using the machines when I am just running through the circuit which is more often right now because I am at least doing a little here and there. When I asked him about helping me with my abs or core, he responded with I do not do those. I was like ok maybe you dont have to but I do.

I briefly looked over the different workouts when I first joined this group.. Bt honestly it is a little overwhelming. I am trying to get myself in the kind of shape that use those programs. I can only do one regular push up and I cannot do a pull up to save my life. I have been trying to do more and more girl push ups in hopes that will help me a little.

I really wish I could afford to hire myself a trainer that could really help me out. I am willing to do the work I just have no direction. I need to know what I should be doing to get the desired results. I am like a puy chasing its tail.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I googled stronglifts and followed that program. You can look up form pictures and videos online as well. Maybe take a friend/buddy with you to workout or make friends at the gym who also like to lift. Start with the empty bar and add 2.5lb plates each week(if possible). There will be some weeks that adding weight will be too hard. On those weeks, I try to do 6 reps for 5 sets. (I know this is not true SL 5x5, but it works for me)

If there is something you are not able to do correctly with the empty bar, that is when machines can come in handy.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I couldn't do any push ups when I started and I still can't do a pull up. I started doing Stronglifts with preweighted barbells because I couldn't use the standard bar. I started benching at 15kg and OHP with 6kg dumbbells. It's hard getting started, but once you start to see the results it will get easier to continue. If you are consistent, you will make progress quicker than you think.

The first obstacle for me was getting into the weights room. It was so intimidating. But you soon realise that no one is really that interested in what you're doing so there's no need to be paranoid. Having a good trainer has made a huge difference for me, but there are lots of women here who have managed without one.

I hope you can find a way to make it work. Lifting is awesome! :smiley:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm a powerlifter, so basically I am not welcome at Planet Fitness, but if you are serious about lifting, such as the Stronglifts program, you will need to find another gym, like a Golds or even Club Fitness if you have them in your area. But if you insist on staying at Planet Fitness, I get it, $10/month, then check out YouTube, they have plenty of instructional videos on how to do specific lifts. Layne Norton has a good squat and deadlift video that helped me.

I joined a lifting/strongman gym in my area, its small, but everyone there is very friendly and helpful and thanks to them I competed in my first powerlifting meet this past weekend.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    Maybe I am in the wrong group. I need to be stronger all around. Like my entire body needs help. Maybe once I have built some strength.
  • lynshady
    lynshady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is there another trainer at PF that you can sign up with? I would not want to be with the first trainer you described.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am in the wrong group. I need to be stronger all around. Like my entire body needs help. Maybe once I have built some strength.
    Doing the lifts in StrongLifts or any other beginner program makes you stronger all around. They are full-body training. The machines are not as helpful, as they don't force you to work on your balance the way barbells/dumbbells do--they actually don't teach you form. And StrongLifts is a beginner program--there's no need to start with machines and work up to it. It's free and easy to follow, and a lot of people start with that.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

No, you're not in the wrong group, just the wrong gym. When I checked out the PF in my area, their barbells only went up to 80lbs and they only had one smith machine, which they claimed was just as good for doing deadlifts, which I guess is good, since most PF won't even allow deadlifts. Because I lift heavy, I may be somewhat of a snob, but if you're serious about lifting and getting strong, you'll only be able to go so far at PF.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    I go to planet fitness because it is really inexpensive and what I can afford at the moment. We really have very little money for extras.

I do not like the idea of using the machines but that trainer said I should start there until I can learn the right form. I wish there was another trainer available at the one I go to but he is the only one. I am just trying to make do with what I have.

I havent looked up stronglifts yet. I guess I will have to check it out.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you cannot learn correct form for free weights with machines. They have a different feel to them. The upside is that any strength training, if done correctly and balanced, is better than no strength training.
  • scrittrice
    Options
    I go to planet fitness because it is really inexpensive and what I can afford at the moment. We really have very little money for extras.

I do not like the idea of using the machines but that trainer said I should start there until I can learn the right form. I wish there was another trainer available at the one I go to but he is the only one. I am just trying to make do with what I have.

Do you have a Blink Fitness nearby? That's also inexpensive and I think less anti-weightlifting than PF. Or maybe the YMCA in your area has a sliding scale. Does PF have dumbbells? You could start with those, or even invest in some dumbbells and use them at home. (I lifted at home with dumbbells for years.) @DancingMoosie is right, though, that machines are better than nothing. They just won't teach you the correct form for using free weights.
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I had a really similar experience when I first started at my current gym. My boyfriend and I both booked sessions with the trainer. The trainer gave us almost identical programs, except mine was all on the machines whereas my boyfriend's was all free weights, despite the fact that he was a complete gym novice and I had been a gym bunny for years! I basically just asked my boyfriend (and some other people) to show me how to use the free weights properly and have also looked up guides online (the internet is a wonderful thing).

To be fair though, the machines are not inherently bad. While free weights do provide some extra challenge and benefits, I do still use the machines for some very specific exercises where I'm unable to do correct form on free weights or find them uncomfortable. My boyfriend also uses the machines on occassion when he's suffering because of a chronic neck injury. Machines can be good too :)
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    Planet fitness does have dumbbells. I have been using them.
  • scrittrice
    Options
    I found this link incredibly useful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p2

When looking for that discussion, I found another one where this was mentioned, and it looks helpful, too (at a glance):

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • kelsgrif84
    kelsgrif84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    All I know about planet fitness is they are garbage. You won't find the help you're looking for there. There are plenty of online tutorials to help you with weight training, and there is no need to wait until your strong enough to do it. The whole purpose of weight lifting is to build strength. Everyone has to start somewhere. Personal trainers are expensive, but you can train yourself. I have pulled information from Swift, strong, durable, Cross fit, Bodybuilding.com, Barbell shrugged, and a ton of other online sources. You can find step by step tutorials, workout programs, and nutrition guides. My family struggles financially, so when I first started training, we used homemade sandbags until we could afford weights. We finally got a bench and barbell last fall. My point is that if you have the will, you can find the way. But don't let anyone tell you that you're not ready to try.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

there are plenty of books as well as videos on youtube to show you perfect form. after spending time finding an exercise you like, work out light with a mirror so you can keep an eye on form while trying it out. you can add one move a week - more, if you want.

i did a lot better on my own with books than i did with the useless trainers at chain gyms. for that matter, i went to a bodybuilding gym where the trainer i tried told me he was sure i didn't want to get muscular, just toned. i didn't make a second appointment with him :D
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options

there are plenty of books as well as videos on youtube to show you perfect form. after spending time finding an exercise you like, work out light with a mirror so you can keep an eye on form while trying it out. you can add one move a week - more, if you want.

i did a lot better on my own with books than i did with the useless trainers at chain gyms. for that matter, i went to a bodybuilding gym where the trainer i tried told me he was sure i didn't want to get muscular, just toned. i didn't make a second appointment with him :D

Seriously. Even a bodybuilding gym. Seriously!
  • wutaday1
    wutaday1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There are some great free programs you can follow on www.bodybuilding.com. Use what you have available at your gym and modify when necessary. You do not have to work with a trainer. I started out using Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer from there and I loved it! I have used it at home with my limited equipment as well with good results. I just need to get back to consistent training. Good luck to you!!
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    I have been doing the strong curves workout for the past 3.5 weeks. I have suspecting that I will get great results from those exercises. I have had some really good progress for the last 3 months. So it is apparent that I am doing something right. :)