• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Sara! :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    PERFECT TIMING.

Starting SL on Monday with my dumbbells. I will get a barbell set this summer for my birthday.

Thanks, Sara. :heart:
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    PERFECT TIMING.

Starting SL on Monday with my dumbbells. I will get a barbell set this summer for my birthday.

Thanks, Sara. :heart:

This. Exactly.

Thanks Sara!!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    bump for later
    thanks for info as only have dumbells too
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Tag
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    tagging for later...
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks - just the info I was looking for!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I missed this when you first posted it. Thanks Sara! You are absolutely right about floor presses. I have to pick up my weights while I'm sitting up, then lie back with them.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bumping for refernce
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Great post!

Definitely good to have alternative DB options. A few points I've found.

A typical linear progression beginner program will have people reaching the upper limits of upper back strength doing goblet squats fairly quickly (typically around 30kg for guys) and that is aiming for higher reps of around 10 (not SL 5x5).

Doing "heavy" single leg stuff like Bulgarian SS, single leg RDL's etc (5rm e.g.) is near impossible because of the balance issue. For these unilateral exercises I'd recommend slightly higher rep ranges than a typical beginner BB program calls for e.g. 3 sets of 10-12 for each exercise. And if you are doing that for each limb, the HR will be VERY high :p (not that that is the aim of the resistance training)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Great post!

A typical linear progression beginner program will have people reaching the upper limits of upper back strength doing goblet squats fairly quickly (typically around 30kg for guys) and that is aiming for higher reps of around 10 (not SL 5x5).

Doing "heavy" single leg stuff like Bulgarian SS, single leg RDL's etc (5rm e.g.) is near impossible because of the balance issue. For these unilateral exercises I'd recommend slightly higher rep ranges than a typical beginner BB program calls for e.g. 3 sets of 10-12 for each exercise. And if you are doing that for each limb, the HR will be VERY high :p (not that that is the aim of the resistance training)

This is a good point. Also, a lot of people do not have very heavy DBs if working at home. I like the AllPro routine for these better as it is in more of a mid rep range.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Great post!

This is a good point. Also, a lot of people do not have very heavy DBs if working at home. I like the AllPro routine for these better as it is in more of a mid rep range.

I'm having that balance issue with just 25s doing Bulgarian split squats and single leg Romanian DLs. What's the AllPro routine?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thanks, very useful.

Another advantage of the dumbbell bench press is that it can be done fairly safely without a spotter.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I'm having that balance issue with just 25s doing Bulgarian split squats and single leg Romanian DLs. What's the AllPro routine?

It's laid out here. Still has the 'big lifts' but additional lifts and a slightly higher rep range.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

It's laid out here. Still has the 'big lifts' but additional lifts and a slightly higher rep range.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

Thank you!