Options
    Bumpity-doo-dah
  • onetoughmudder
    Options
    i've got significant bumpage
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a weight bench you can always put to use an ottoman or other bench in your house.

Sara - I cut my squat reps from 80 to 40 and upped my weight amount and have seen a big difference in results - thanks!
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    tagged
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • ANDRE_DOE
    ANDRE_DOE Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like these suggestion and the website
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    *bump* for reference
  • majii13
    majii13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Saving for later.
  • selinafzr
    selinafzr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bumps here too.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Gonna give it a go! Thanks Sara :flowerforyou:
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I am going to start All Pro's beginner routine sometime in January with dumbbells. I am a total beginner in all of this though and quite stupid as to how to go about it. My plan is to do the 7 exercises in the order indicated (squats, bench press, bent over row, overhead press, stiff legged deadlift, curls, and calf raises). I will start with week one and then move forward, increasing the # of reps from week 1-5 and then increase weights as appropriate.

I have two questions to start with:

1) How do I determine the starting dumbbell weights I should use with each exercise (as I imagine they will be slightly different with each)?
    and
    2) When I go through each workout do I perform 4 sets of 8 reps (week 1) for each exercise and then move on to the next exercise, or do I go through the entire series of exercises doing 8 reps for each to complete set 1 then go back again for sets 2-4?

Finally, we are considering purchasing a bowflex in the future. In your opinion are they effective or are dumbbells/free weights better? My goal in performing these routines is to tone up, increase strength, and offset any potential bone/muscle loss issues as I head into my 50's and beyond.

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am going to start All Pro's beginner routine sometime in January with dumbbells. I am a total beginner in all of this though and quite stupid as to how to go about it. My plan is to do the 7 exercises in the order indicated (squats, bench press, bent over row, overhead press, stiff legged deadlift, curls, and calf raises). I will start with week one and then move forward, increasing the # of reps from week 1-5 and then increase weights as appropriate.

1) How do I determine the starting dumbbell weights I should use with each exercise (as I imagine they will be slightly different with each)?
    and
    2) When I go through each workout do I perform 4 sets of 8 reps (week 1) for each exercise and then move on to the next exercise, or do I go through the entire series of exercises doing 8 reps for each to complete set 1 then go back again for sets 2-4?

Finally, we are considering purchasing a bowflex in the future. In your opinion are they effective or are dumbbells/free weights better? My goal in performing these routines is to tone up, increase strength, and offset any potential bone/muscle loss issues as I head into my 50's and beyond.

1) starting any program if you have not lifted before, will involve some trial and error. I would suggest taking some time to find the appropriate starting weight out.

From All Pro Q&A:
    "You will use your 10 rep max for each exercise. To determine your 10 rep maxes, go to the gym one day (at least 2 days BEFORE starting the routine), and perform one set of each exercise until failure (as many reps as you can do with good form). Try and pick a weight that will bring you to failure at around 10 reps (for a more accurate calculation). Take note of the weight you used and how many reps took you to failure and then plug them in to this calculator (http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator), this will give you your 10 rep max (your weights cycle 1)."

2) Do one lift for the required amount of sets, then move onto the next. It is not intended to be a circuit.

While bowflexes are useful and I would imagine effective (never used one myself) as well as pretty flexible in what you can do, I would always recommend free weights over one. A powercage/squat rack, barbell and plates, a weight bench and dumbbells as well as a pull up bar will have you set with a huge amount of options. The only thing I miss is not have cables to do rows/pulls, but you can work around that and there are a lot of row variations you can do with barbells and dumbbells (although I miss face pulls).
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

and

1) starting any program if you have not lifted before, will involve some trial and error. I would suggest taking some time to find the appropriate starting weight out.

From All Pro Q&A:
    "You will use your 10 rep max for each exercise. To determine your 10 rep maxes, go to the gym one day (at least 2 days BEFORE starting the routine), and perform one set of each exercise until failure (as many reps as you can do with good form). Try and pick a weight that will bring you to failure at around 10 reps (for a more accurate calculation). Take note of the weight you used and how many reps took you to failure and then plug them in to this calculator (http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator), this will give you your 10 rep max (your weights cycle 1)."

2) Do one lift for the required amount of sets, then move onto the next. It is not intended to be a circuit.

While bowflexes are useful and I would imagine effective (never used one myself) as well as pretty flexible in what you can do, I would always recommend free weights over one. A powercage/squat rack, barbell and plates, a weight bench and dumbbells as well as a pull up bar will have you set with a huge amount of options. The only thing I miss is not have cables to do rows/pulls, but you can work around that and there are a lot of row variations you can do with barbells and dumbbells (although I miss face pulls).

Perfect; thanks very much! Time to get started now :smile:
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump.